Cantilever bridge renewal

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

thgergo wrote:
m3henry wrote:I would actualy prefer that if it was just the top one going all the way across.
I just should have just make longer versions of my first attempt?
something like this...
Attachments
like that.png
like that.png (10.61 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chicago Rail Authority »

Nice post, m3henry. Are you suggesting one uniform bridge for whatever the span length, or repeating that longer stretch every (let's say) 5 tiles or so?

Also, are developers now able to dictate how often (if at all) the support pillars appear? If the longer span were to repeat every 5 tiles, it would be cool if the support pillars appear only under the 'joins' of the bridge spans.
Many thanks to those who make OTTD and TTDP possible.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

either really and the code thingy i did would be nice for the smaller ones
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

thgergo wrote:Finally i get it working with newgrf, this bridge replaces the second cantilever bridge. It seems compatible with TTRS3 bridges, i couldnt find any sprite conflict with it, everything was correct in my tests with in TTRS3, except of course the road approach of my bridge.:wink:
m3henry wrote:I would actualy prefer that if it was just the top one going all the way across.
Your supports seem to be misaligned ;).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

XeryusTC wrote:
thgergo wrote:Finally i get it working with newgrf, this bridge replaces the second cantilever bridge. It seems compatible with TTRS3 bridges, i couldnt find any sprite conflict with it, everything was correct in my tests with in TTRS3, except of course the road approach of my bridge.:wink:
Your supports seem to be misaligned ;).
Its just the first attempt to change the sprite layout:) I also want wider supports for this bridge type
Chicago Rail Authority wrote:Great work so far!!! Any chance that you could mock-up a version of this latest bridge using the same entrance/exit tiles as the red bridge? (The horizontal structures, rather than the bubbled structures).

Keep up the great work!
It will, this bridge needs different exit/etrance tiles than the first, becouse this attempt differs a little than the last.
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

thgergo wrote:
Chicago Rail Authority wrote:Great work so far!!! Any chance that you could mock-up a version of this latest bridge using the same entrance/exit tiles as the red bridge? (The horizontal structures, rather than the bubbled structures).

Keep up the great work!
It will, this bridge needs different exit/etrance tiles than the first, becouse this attempt differs a little than the last.
Cool. I'll be quiet and let you work your magic, then :).

Although I'm sure you have your own direction that you'd like to go with this set, might I suggest two other possibilities?

[1] http://www.wirednewyork.com/bridges/hel ... 7apr02.jpg [Would be interesting to see some fun combinations of stone and steel for alternate bridge-types, if possible]

[2] http://www.runnerduck.com/vacation05/67_bridge.jpg [train goes on top]
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

Chicago Rail Authority wrote: Although I'm sure you have your own direction that you'd like to go with this set, might I suggest two other possibilities?

[1] http://www.wirednewyork.com/bridges/hel ... 7apr02.jpg [Would be interesting to see some fun combinations of stone and steel for alternate bridge-types, if possible]
I will make this type of bridge after my current bridge is completed, this arch bridge will contain one huge span... But since bridge sprites combination is very limited, I cant make it in any length, only between 3-5(+2 ramps).
Chicago Rail Authority wrote: [2] http://www.runnerduck.com/vacation05/67_bridge.jpg [train goes on top]
I think this thype of bridge is impossible, becouse there are not too mutch space under the bridges in TTD...
Anyway I have created recoloured bridges. Witch one do you prefer? The second is the original.
Attachments
colourful.PNG
colourful.PNG (31.09 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

thgergo wrote:
Chicago Rail Authority wrote: Although I'm sure you have your own direction that you'd like to go with this set, might I suggest two other possibilities?

I will make this type of bridge after my current bridge is completed, this arch bridge will contain one huge span... But since bridge sprites combination is very limited, I cant make it in any length, only between 3-5(+2 ramps).
Cool :) I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Chicago Rail Authority wrote: [2] http://www.runnerduck.com/vacation05/67_bridge.jpg [train goes on top]
I think this thype of bridge is impossible, becouse there are not too mutch space under the bridges in TTD...
Anyway I have created recoloured bridges. Witch one do you prefer? The second is the original.
I think the one on the left looks the best.

Would it be possible to also code one like what m3henry posted above (in "likethat.png")?
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

I agree with Chicago... the one on the left :)
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Chicago Rail Authority wrote:
thgergo wrote:

Cool :) I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Will you be doing just a generic version. Maybe as an idea, you could do several versions of it as there are lots of its type. Since that bridge is the Hell's Gate Bridge, I would like to mention that it was one of the things that inspired Bradfield to design the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

The second cantilever bridge is getting closer to finish, here is some progress...
Attachments
cantilever.PNG
cantilever.PNG (119.48 KiB) Viewed 5905 times
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

Wow those are bloody awesome :shock: Looking great.
Denke nie gedacht zu haben, denn das Denken der Gedanken ist gedankenloses Denken.
Wiki Page/Talk, Member of the OpenTTD Scenarios Team
Looking for OpenTTD scenarios? - Here's a List of player-made scenarios. Please help us grow the database with your contributions.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Impressive, I like it.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

At first i didn't like it, but, seeing it ingame it does look bloody awesome.
Nice one.
Last known as: Weirdy
Dave

Post by Dave »

Awfully good effort.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Very nice!

The only thing I really have against them is that the support pillars get too close to the track. Maybe you can strip one column of black pixels on the inner side of the pillar - I did a small test, blue arrow in the attached image.

Also, I'm not quite comfortable with the cross-bars (or whatever they are called) inside the red circle. I don't think they are necessary for the 'bridge image' and they clutter the picture a bit, even if it is more 'correct' to have them.

All IMO, of course.
Attachments
Suggestion2.png
Suggestion2.png (2.11 KiB) Viewed 3612 times
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

AndersI wrote:Very nice!

The only thing I really have against them is that the support pillars get too close to the track. Maybe you can strip one column of black pixels on the inner side of the pillar - I did a small test, blue arrow in the attached image.
Good observation, ill look into it...
AndersI wrote: Also, I'm not quite comfortable with the cross-bars (or whatever they are called) inside the red circle. I don't think they are necessary for the 'bridge image' and they clutter the picture a bit, even if it is more 'correct' to have them.

All IMO, of course.
Well should i remove that cross-bars, or make them more transparent? I made them becouse the distance between two pillars was too empty.

Anyway thank you all for good responds :))
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

thgergo wrote:Well should i remove that cross-bars, or make them more transparent? I made them becouse the distance between two pillars was too empty.
Maybe they should be an arch instead of a straight beam?
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

When can i have it?
Last known as: Weirdy
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Weirdy wrote:When can i have it?
Weirdy, you're behaving like a noob, grow up.

Return to “Graphics Development”