North American Roads Set v0.8c [30 May 2008] - ** Update **

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Soccerito
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Soccerito »

These looks very nice :)
I'm wondering that, is it possible to code the Dirt roads to Tropical Climate? They would fit in there Perfectly!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Oz wrote:'Kay, gang. Do you guys have any idea how friggin' hard it is to draw dirt using the TT palette? I redrew the dirt roads, shown below, like three different times. :P Anyhow, hope you like them.
Yea! They kinda bring this to mind:

[scene cuts to kid running up the stairs of the front porch and entering the farm house letting the screen door slam]
Kid: Pa! Pa! there's a dust cloud coming up the road and its making one heck of a noise!
Pa: [running out the door to look] Its ok son, It's just your uncle Jeb in his new fangled model T automobile.

I think that means they're done. :wink:
Oz wrote:Also, I modified the brick roads. Added some tire/dirt/oil marks, and browned it down a bit, as requested. Done deal? If so, I can start working on incorporating the bricks into the bus and truck terminals, as well as the other climates. And, I'd like to get working on the tram tracks.

Cheers!
Color is 'bout right but ... hmm ... I'm not to sure about the lines down the middle of the road. I don't think they gussied up their roads too much back then, less'n its one of them new fangled cityfolk inventions. Also that line might interfere with the tram tracks.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Those new roads are looking good; although the change between the city roads (brick) to urban roads (dirt) looks a bit too drastic.
Soccerito wrote: ... Dirt roads in sub-tropical climate ...
Why not, the new roads would go into the US Roads Set, which caters for all climates.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

OzTransLtd wrote:Those new roads are looking good; although the change between the city roads (brick) to urban roads (dirt) looks a bit too drastic.
One heck of a bump too! I know from experience. My spine still hurts. :lol:
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

!!!
Attachments
grass road!
grass road!
grass road.png (30.5 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
yellow brick road
yellow brick road
yellow brick road.png (30.18 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Grass road? :shock:
Maybe change the pavement to another color and here we have a road replacement for tropic! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love your artwork.
NOTE: Consider fixing shadows. Light direction is from East, SouthEast. Seems your pavement is shadowed wrong way.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

athanasios wrote:Grass road? :shock:
Maybe change the pavement to another color and here we have a road replacement for tropic! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love your artwork.
NOTE: Consider fixing shadows. Light direction is from East, SouthEast. Seems your pavement is shadowed wrong way.
Last I heard, the 'light source' in TTD is roughly north east, top right corner.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Oz wrote:Thanks, 'blood! :]

OzTrans mentioned something about 1945 being the surface changeover date for the CanSet, so might as well be consistent.

Cheers!
What about a three-surface scheme where, say, 1920-1935 we have bricks/dirt, 1936-1965 concrete/tarmac, and 1966-present we have asphalt? We have the flexability of having multiple surface types, so we may as well make use of it, and put OzTrans to work.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote:What about a three-surface scheme ... and put OzTrans to work.
Bring it on ... I believe my contribution and time spent implementing it would be insignificant compared to you artists.

Anyway, I think it is time to upload the US Roads Set v0.86 as I haven't heard of any problems.

@krtaylor : below is the WIN and DOS version 0.86 ready to upload on your website. You may want to amend the readme though.

There is a minor update : I have added a second parameter, if set to 1, then city roads will be shown in desert towns in sub-tropical climate. Works in TTDPatch only and you must have ttdpbasew.grf as first entry in your newgrf.cfg (although the file need only be in the directory otherwise).

I have also updated GrfCrawler; there was no entry before !!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

OK, I've posted it to the US set website. I also updated the readme but am not at all sure it's accurate, particularly regarding the credits. Please read it and post necessary changes. Thanks for all your hard work!

I don't handle the GRFCrawler entries, so I didn't update the entry there for US Roads.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

I'll take a credit for improved graphics, and Skidd13 supplied us with the monorail/maglev level crossings. :D
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

krtaylor wrote: ... I also updated the readme ... Please read it and post necessary changes. ...
The readme looks fine, except for credits :

"Improved graphics by Aegir and Oz." - This should at least read : Improved graphics by lifeblood, Oz and Skidd13.

I'm not quite sure about Aegir; has anything of his work been added/updated ? I only added/updated sprites supplied by lifeblood and Oz.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

OK, updated.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I've had nothing to do with this project. Sofar.

I have made some modifications to ns_37's bridge sprites which he was creating for use in the original US road set, but they are not a part of the current US road set.

I can provide the original graphics of ns_37's with the changed bridges if you people want.

But either way, nothing to do with me.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Aegir wrote:I've had nothing to do with this project. Sofar. I have made some modifications to ns_37's bridge sprites which he was creating for use in the original US road set, but they are not a part of the current US road set. ...
Understood ... the bridges by NS37 will be added/updated in the US Roads Set at a later date, because they (rail bridges) will also have to be included in the Canadian Trains Set v0.3 for compatibility reasons.

These bridges will then be available, if both the US Road and Canadian Trains sets are played.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

... or could they be coded as a bridge set that gets activate by the USset roads. I think id rather that than be firced to use a trainset. Then if someone wanted to they cold give them new road surfaces aswell for the other roadsets.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

robotboy wrote:... or could they be coded as a bridge set that gets activated by the USset roads. ...
The idea behind updated bridges is not to create a new bridge set. We want to update the narrow gauge rail bridges for the Canadian Trains Set. In order to do that, we must also update the standard gauge rail and road bridges because far too many bridge parts are shared and it is a very difficult job to match everything up.

Now we would like to provide updated rail bridges in the Canadian Trains Set and the matching road bridges will go into the US Roads Set. This then links the 2 sets and that is why the updated bridges will only be available when both sets are activated.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

I use always this road set, i love it :)

Could it had some new road tunnels ??

Like the ttrs3 has??

Thanks..
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Digitalfox wrote: ... Could it have some new road tunnels ?? Like the ttrs3 ones ...
No problems, if you or someone else draws them ...
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

I'm waiting on Oz to sort out work at his end. Although, I suppose I could get the ball rolling on the brick and dirt roads...

What would ancient level crossings look like? For the dirt roads I figure nothing but a bit of gravel between the tracks, maybe a sign. But for the bricks?

Return to “Graphics Development”