North American Roads Set v0.8c [30 May 2008] - ** Update **

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

OzTransLtd wrote:@lifeblood, I'm sorry, but I think there is a bit of work coming your way ...
OK, OK, I'll start looking into pre 1950s road surfaces. :roll: :wink:

Oz: I like that station very much. Great work.

OzTrans: Nice work with the coding!
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

I've seen A LOT of small, side streets paved in red brick or cobblestones (granite) in the bigger East coast cities. And, what about tram track incorporation? I think Death said in the US Set thread that trams are fairly easy to code. And what about telephone poles? And...and...and... :P

Don't worry, 'blood, you're not alone in this. I'll definitely be lending a hand.

Cheers!
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

OzTransLtd wrote: ... Yes, you can have sprites changing over time; e.g. our drive through bus stops could be without diamonds in earlier years and have them added in later years. For starters I have implemented these as pre/post 1950 ...

... Such a changeover will only happen if you reload a saved game ...

... It caters for left and right traffic side and all normal climates ...

... It is not just for TTDPatch, It is also fully compatible with OpenTTD ...

... The drive through bus and truck stops by Oz have also be included, but sadly only for OpenTTD players ...

... The set was recoded from scratch and made fully compatible for OpenTTD, NGRails and Pikka's Viaduct Bridge ...

1)pb_viaduct.grf
2)NGRails[w].grf 4
3)CanSet[w].grf
4)USRoads[w].grf

Happy testing and report any issues here.
I am using TTDX patched latest nightly r1507.
I organized my newgrf as recommended.
Does the pre/post 1950 changeover occur on Jan 1?
I saved and reloaded the game but nothing changed.
I understand about the drive through graphics and the "OTTD only" issue, but does this apply to the diamonds as well? I did not see them.
Yes, I do have the correct grf. I am able to see Lifeblood's new bus and truck stations.

The right/left switchover works well and can be changed in game by resetting in the Game options window and then clicking on apply in the New graphics status window as long as no rv's have been purchased
and this is normal even without a road grf.

NG rails look good too, but the title in the build window still says "Monorail construction". The icons are fine.

Pikkabird's viaduct is good.

Bottom line is if I can't see the diamonds without OTTD, what other changes should I look for in 1950?
Last edited by wallyweb on 19 Apr 2007 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Coolbeans on the viaduct, OzTransLtd, I'll have a look.
wallyweb wrote:Pikkabird's new bus and truck stations
not mine, you must have me confused with someone else...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

PikkaBird wrote:
wallyweb wrote:Pikkabird's new bus and truck stations
not mine, you must have me confused with someone else...
Ooops! :oops:
I have edited the post.
It's easy to get the two names confused, afterall, they both end with a "d". :wink:
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote: ... I'll start looking into pre 1950s road surfaces. ...
BTW, you can have any year for the changeover. I just used 1950 as a sample year. May be 1945/46 would be suitable to coincide with the CanStnSet surface upgrades.
Oz wrote: ... what about tram track incorporation ...
Why not. It would be a simple sprite replacement using action-05. I don't like the double pylons anyway, they are too overwhelming - may be they could be shifted a bit, so that they overlap and then look thinner or even made thinner.
wallyweb wrote: ... why do the drive through bus stops by Oz with the diamonds not appear ...
The drive through bus and truck stops by Oz have also be included, but sadly only for OpenTTD players ...

The emphasis is on OpenTTD - these stops have not been implemented in TTDPatch (the ones you see are the old ones and have nothing to do with the USRoads Set), they (the new ones) are available only to OpenTTD players. You'll need an OpenTTD nightly r9649 or higher, if you want to see them.
wallyweb wrote: ... Bottom line is if I can't see the diamonds without OTTD, what other changes should I look for in 1950?
There are no other changes; I only did a quick fix for testing purposes. The only pre/post 1950 difference is the diamonds with Oz's new drive through bus stops and observable in an OpenTTD game only.
wallyweb wrote: ... NG rails look good too, but the title in the build window still says "Monorail construction".
If you used NGRails, then it is a bug in NGRails. On the other hand, if you used CanSet v0.2g, then this is also the same bug in the CanSet. It has already been identified and fixed for v0.3. For a quick fix, you can change the 'unifiedmaglev' switch to the other value (1 to 2 or 2 to 1) and it should go away.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Good thing I'm not a girl or I'd really miss those diamonds. :lol:
I'll use the other settings for the NG rails. I wasn't aware of the bug with the monorail setting. Yes, I did set the parameter via ngrails rather than via Canset.
Thanks for the response. :bow: You da man! :D
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

OzTransLtd wrote:
wallyweb wrote: ... NG rails look good too, but the title in the build window still says "Monorail construction".
If you used NGRails, then it is a bug in NGRails. On the other hand, if you used CanSet v0.2g, then this is also the same bug in the CanSet. It has already been identified and fixed for v0.3. For a quick fix, you can change the 'unifiedmaglev' switch to the other value (1 to 2 or 2 to 1) and it should go away.
Hmm there is no monorail letters in my game! I use Canset! Everything works fine in that place of the game! If I remember correctly I set 'unifiedmaglev' to 1 (maybe 2)
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Decided to play hooky today from the lab (had a few too many last night watching the Pens loose to the Sens :cry:), so I thought that I'd mess around with the early road textures. I decided to go for a red brick surface, since I think that it was pretty common in the early 20th century. Thoughts?

Cheers!
Attachments
US Brick Roads Example.png
US Brick Roads Example.png (13.81 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Hey Oz! Nice work again. Just a couple of comments:
1. Maybe just a little too red?
2. No dirt/dust/grease/oil stains?
3. Fine for an urban area, but last I saw country roads of that era were either dirt or, if the right political party was supported, macadam. Unfortunately, other than sidewalks, lights, and trees, ttdx is unable to differentiate between road surfaces for city/town/country purposes. We will probably have to live with a happy medium and spoil those early years local authorities and give them all brick roads.

At least you didn't go with your nick and suggest yellow brick roads. :lol:
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

City roads with sidewalks and rural roads with grass are separate sprite sheets.

Edit: Oh, and, AWESOME! :D (Not exactly my cuppa tea, but in limited doses in a few select towns, ooooooh, tasty :D.

Not to mention, get sprites done early, often artwork can spur on development of features. Sometimes artwork becomes deprecated, sometimes it's just timeless. Of course there might have to be additional work later on to split sidewalks from road beds and road markings from road beds, but that can be fussed with afterwards.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Aegir wrote:City roads with sidewalks and rural roads with grass are separate sprite sheets.
Does this mean we could simultaneously have two different road surfaces ... one for urban with sidewalks and one for rural with grass?
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Yes! However, above the snow line, TTD only recognizes one type of road surface.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

lifeblood wrote:Yes! However, above the snow line, TTD only recognizes one type of road surface.
Not a problem. Take it from a Canadian driver (me of course), what with all the snow, ice, slush and salt, you can't see the lines anyways. :lol:
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

wallyweb wrote:Take it from a Canadian driver (me of course), what with all the snow, ice, slush and salt, you can't see the lines anyways. :lol:
I agree and confirm :)
Although, i was not aware slush was an english word :shock:
I though it was slang from Québec's french speaking community :lol:
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Atlantis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Atlantis »

Sure; It's not quite slime, it's not quite mush, it's slush.
[disclaimer: that's probably not where the word comes from]

Anywho, as for the roads, looking good. I agree it does look a bit too red; could do with being toned down and some dullening (is that a word? it is now) where the cars wheels go. :-)
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

... sprite sets for roads ...
These are the sprite sets available and their use :

. 'city roads with sidewalks' used in town zones 3 and 4 in arctic climate (below snow), temperate climate (below snow), sub-tropical climate (rainforest areas) and with bit 1 in var 9E enabled also in sub-topical climate in desert towns.
. 'temperate with grass verge' used in temperate climate below snow.
. 'sub-arctic with grass verge' used in arctic climate below snow.
. 'snowy roads' used above snowline in arctic and temperate climates.
. 'desert roads' used in sub-tropical climate in desert areas.
. 'rainforest roads' used in sub-tropical climate in rainforest areas.

This means we can have a maximum of 3 different sets per climate; i.e. below/above snowline (rainforest/desert for sub-tropical) plus city roads.

Further we can now change these over time.
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

'Kay, gang. Do you guys have any idea how friggin' hard it is to draw dirt using the TT palette? I redrew the dirt roads, shown below, like three different times. :P Anyhow, hope you like them.

Also, I modified the brick roads. Added some tire/dirt/oil marks, and browned it down a bit, as requested. Done deal? If so, I can start working on incorporating the bricks into the bus and truck terminals, as well as the other climates. And, I'd like to get working on the tram tracks.

Cheers!
Attachments
US Brick Roads Example.png
US Brick Roads Example.png (16.46 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
US Dirt Roads Example.png
US Dirt Roads Example.png (15.89 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
ImageImage
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Oz, this is very good. The bricks look neat, and the dirt roads look very dusty. A question for you, though. What year would the bricks appear in game until?
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Thanks, 'blood! :]

OzTrans mentioned something about 1945 being the surface changeover date for the CanSet, so might as well be consistent.

Cheers!
ImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”