North American Roads Set v0.8c [30 May 2008] - ** Update **

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Hey, 'blood! Glad to see that someone finally decided to rework these. Real quick: I took the liberty to add some highlights to the tops of the walls and fences. Otherwise, I thought that they looked a little 2-dimensional. Use 'em if you'd like. If not, that's cool, too. :)

Cheers!
Attachments
Terminals v2.png
Terminals v2.png (7.34 KiB) Viewed 5153 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Is it within the scope of this, to include some sort of American version tram stops? Although the US set does not currently offer trams, there are plenty of them in the US (and way more in the past), some of which have already been drawn and just need a coder.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chicago Rail Authority »

Great work - the new stops look fantastic!
Many thanks to those who make OTTD and TTDP possible.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Oz, thanks for the help! These look much better. I'll amend the sprites, and re-send these. :D

Oh, yes, Mr. Taylor, I think that US tram stops would be a good idea, but I'm not sure what they would look like. Keep in mind that, currently (or as current as my memory is), company-colours do not work on tram stops. As well, we would need a design that would transcend all in-game eras. Plus something tiny to fit on the side-walks. So, if you have any design ideas, please share, for I can't think of anything better/different than the little boxes we currently have.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

In American usage, until very recently (and even now in many cases), most tram-stops were not much more than a bus stop. However, I think we could do something with pavement-markings - after all, a stopped tram blocks traffic. So, I'd say either a painted marking on the pavement, or on the sidewalk. For a stop on a road where there is no sidewalk, then there should be a short section of sidewalk, as it were, that the people would wait on. And maybe a bench. That's pretty common, and always was I think.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Mmm, painted lines. Good idea. See if you can find a picture and I'll see what I can draw. Keep in mind that TTD does not differentiate urban and rural roads when it comes to bus/tram stops. They always appear with sidewalks.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I'd be very surprised if I could find a useful picture. Basically, what I'm thinking, is a thin yellow paint line around one of the cement-blocks that makes up the sidewalk (basically, a "stand here" box); and a green bench alongside, parallel to and facing the road.
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Here's my thoughts on a bus stop: I know that major cities in the US have Bus-only/HOV lanes, and they're denoted with a white diamond painted on the asphalt. So I started from there, added a small shelter, and placed some ubiquitous magazine boxes across the street. Your thoughts?
Attachments
Bus Stop.png
Bus Stop.png (2.72 KiB) Viewed 4955 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

That's very nice, but the terminals are ugly IMO.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Oz wrote:Here's my thoughts on a bus stop: I know that major cities in the US have Bus-only/HOV lanes, and they're denoted with a white diamond painted on the asphalt. So I started from there, added a small shelter, and placed some ubiquitous magazine boxes across the street. Your thoughts?
Too bad these can't be time dependent ... I am thinking of those little wooden shelters that housed magazine vendors hollering "Read All About It" before some fool invented those ubiquitous newspaper boxes.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Would it be a good idea to draw different road and bus stop graphics for different periods of time, so the diamonds don't look out of place in the early 20s?
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Desolator wrote:That's very nice, but the terminals are ugly IMO.
Bravo. This is you second time saying this. Be more descriptive in your criticisms, and I might amend a sprite for you. Or, draw and code your own graphics to replace mine. Simply stating that my graphics are "ugly" will accomplish very little, apart from me ignoring you.
Oz wrote:Here's my thoughts on a bus stop: I know that major cities in the US have Bus-only/HOV lanes, and they're denoted with a white diamond painted on the asphalt. So I started from there, added a small shelter, and placed some ubiquitous magazine boxes across the street. Your thoughts?
Oz, I like these very much. Although, like Wally and White Rabbit has said, I'm unsure about the diamond in the early generations of the game. Once I figure out which sprites are used to construct tram/bus stops, I'll be sure to use these. :D
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Those are great! Can the patch change them in time? I don't think so, but would glad to be shown wrong.
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

lifeblood wrote:
Desolator wrote:That's very nice, but the terminals are ugly IMO.
Bravo. This is you second time saying this. Be more descriptive in your criticisms, and I might amend a sprite for you. Or, draw and code your own graphics to replace mine. Simply stating that my graphics are "ugly" will accomplish very little, apart from me ignoring you.
Maybe something like this, but with a big shelter instead of the roof. And for cargo, why now put a building like in TTRS, but only on the side in which the trucks stay, so it would occupy about half of the station.
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Ask and ye shall receive. Old school newspaper stands as per request. Dunno either if bus stops can age, but I've seen coders pull one too many rabbits out of their hats to disbelieve. If not, maybe randomly choosing between the sprites?

Also tweaked the newer stops.

I think that the terminals look fine as they are.

Cheers!

Edit: I guess that I should attach the sprites, huh? :roll:
Attachments
Bus Stop.png
Bus Stop.png (4.04 KiB) Viewed 4776 times
ImageImage
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Job well done, Oz.

[OT] Good luck with the nor'easter [/OT]
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote: ... Once I figure out which sprites are used to construct tram/bus stops, I'll be sure to use these. ....
Very good question ... in OpenTTD there are in 'roadstops.grf' found in the data directory (they come with a game download).

TTDPatch, this is a very different story. They are hard-coded and use sprites that are also used for other features, like the little cargo icons.

Sprites are in 'trg1r.grf' and the numbers are :

road = 1313/1314 (city roads already replaced in USRoads)
lamp posts = 1406/1407
furniture = 4079/4300/4302

What a silly implementation !!

No, it is not possible to have them change over time.
... bus stops by Oz ...
they do look terrific, may be the canopy of the bus stop should be a little bit lower. We should include them, at least for OpenTTD.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

dont the tram stops use thee own sprites atleast for the shelters?
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

robotboy wrote:don't the tram stops use their own sprites at least for the shelters?
The tram stops use their own sprites, which are in ttdpbasew.grf.

What I said above, applies to the drive through bus stops only.
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the Drive Through Road Stop graphics (at least for OTTD) functioned like waypoints - in that the "base tile" is still just a road sprite (taken from the US Roads, if loaded) and overwritten with "side pieces" from the add'l GRF that OzTransLtd noted...

If that's the case, we'll need to distinguish between the "upper" graphics (shelter and top diamond) and the "lower" graphics (other diamond and newspaper/magazine stands).

Thoughts?

Return to “Graphics Development”