ECS vectors v1.1.2 (by George) 19/06/2011

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Do you use ECS with TTDP?

I use ECS under TTDP
3%
I use ECS under TTDP and OTTD
4%
I use ECS under OTTD
93%

Total votes: 166

Brumi
President
President

Re: ECS vectors v1.1.2 (by George) 19/06/2011

Post by Brumi »

Back then in the summer of 2011 I translated the ECS vectors into Hungarian. However, I made a mistake by messing up one of the string IDs. I corrected it just after a new release, so I was basically late with my fix, and since then I've been waiting for a new release which would contain my fix. Unfortunately for me, no new release has been made since then.
So, would you mind making a tiny little bugfix release if you're not planning on making one anyway? Only the agricultural vector is affected.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Brumi wrote:Back then in the summer of 2011 I translated the ECS vectors into Hungarian. However, I made a mistake by messing up one of the string IDs. I corrected it just after a new release, so I was basically late with my fix, and since then I've been waiting for a new release which would contain my fix. Unfortunately for me, no new release has been made since then.
So, would you mind making a tiny little bugfix release if you're not planning on making one anyway? Only the agricultural vector is affected.
Unfortunately I do not use any version control tool for ECS development. After the release I've started a change and it is not finished yet.
This means it will be fixed, but not soon. Sorry.
Image Image Image Image
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Could power plants accept wood products (chips) as fuel?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

they certainly could, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense, IMHO.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It would make more sense if there was a recycling chain built in. For example, wood waste from sawmills and factories that accept wood or lumber could be exported to a biomass power plant or secondary industry that prepares biomass (such as plant waste from farms or sugar cane plantations) for shipment to power plants. While such power plants can generate between 70%-90% efficiency, the amount of material provided is usually much less in scale than fossil fuels.
ossesek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ossesek »

I've tested "no industry appearing/closure" option in 1.2 version and it doesn't work corectly. There appear new industries, but only those added in ECS 1.2 (brick, cement and so on). Behaviour parameter was set on 30.
viktoria.s
Engineer
Engineer

Post by viktoria.s »

Hi,
I really like to play with the ECS vectors. And I have some spare time and I would love to create some 32bpp graphics for this set. Is there any ways to contribute to this set in this way? And if yes: could you give me some instructions how can I insert the newly created images into the set and test it?
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

viktoria.s wrote:I really like to play with the ECS vectors. And I have some spare time and I would love to create some 32bpp graphics for this set. Is there any ways to contribute to this set in this way? And if yes: could you give me some instructions how can I insert the newly created images into the set and test it?
Unfortunately the set is 8bpp and 32bpp was not planned. Do you plan to provide 32bpp graphics for every ECS industry?
Image Image Image Image
viktoria.s
Engineer
Engineer

Post by viktoria.s »

George wrote:
viktoria.s wrote:I really like to play with the ECS vectors. And I have some spare time and I would love to create some 32bpp graphics for this set. Is there any ways to contribute to this set in this way? And if yes: could you give me some instructions how can I insert the newly created images into the set and test it?
Unfortunately the set is 8bpp and 32bpp was not planned. Do you plan to provide 32bpp graphics for every ECS industry?
First I would like to create graphics for the water towers. If that goes well and I could put the graphics into the set easily to test, then I would liket to create graphics for the rest of the ECSHouses. And that I will see how much time do I have for the other vectors.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

viktoria.s wrote:
George wrote:
First I would like to create graphics for the water towers. If that goes well and I could put the graphics into the set easily to test, then I would liket to create graphics for the rest of the ECSHouses. And that I will see how much time do I have for the other vectors.
Lets try
Image Image Image Image
viktoria.s
Engineer
Engineer

Post by viktoria.s »

Hi,

here is my attempt for the earlier watertower spritenumber 2046.
Can you help me how can I test it in the game? (I am not that much of a newgrf expert so I haven't got a clue)
Thanks in advance.
EDIT: I attached the image.
Attachments
watertower.png
watertower.png (38.12 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
Last edited by viktoria.s on 20 Jan 2014 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I believe the lighting can be improved. It looks ok for the roof. But the walls don't exhibit the same light contrast as the roof; especially the front is IMHO way too dark.

OpenTTD sprite sizes are 64x32 pixels in normal zoom. Even at 4x zoom-in one tile has only 256x128 pixels in size. Buildings in normal zoom must not exceed heights over 200 pixels, that is 800 pixels in 4x zoom-in. I don't know the intended size, but to me that looks even for a sprite for 4x zoom-in too large, but maybe I err - without comparison ingame it's hard to judge. Without means to actually compile a NewGRF it is also impossible to actually see the sprites ingame. For a quick check you might grab an existing set and replace the sprite... Not sure there exists any other than zBase with houses / industries though which have 4x zoom-in

For comparison on sizes you could e.g. look at zbase:
https://rhodecode.openttdcoop.org/zbase ... 6_0005.png
https://rhodecode.openttdcoop.org/zbase ... 8_0005.png
https://rhodecode.openttdcoop.org/zbase ... 4_0005.png

I also strongly suggest to attach images to this forum instead of using 3rd-party hosting.
viktoria.s
Engineer
Engineer

Post by viktoria.s »

planetmaker wrote:Without means to actually compile a NewGRF it is also impossible to actually see the sprites ingame.
I don't mind to compile the modified version of this NewGRF is just that I haven't got a clue how to modify the NewGRF to see my work in this set. (As I mentioned I really like to play with these vectors and I would prefer to see my work in this set even during testing rather than replacing a house in zBase let's say.) So my question is: is there an easy way to put the new graphics it into this set or there is just some kind of hard way?
Thanks in advance.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

viktoria.s wrote:
planetmaker wrote:Without means to actually compile a NewGRF it is also impossible to actually see the sprites ingame.
I don't mind to compile the modified version of this NewGRF is just that I haven't got a clue how to modify the NewGRF to see my work in this set. (As I mentioned I really like to play with these vectors and I would prefer to see my work in this set even during testing rather than replacing a house in zBase let's say.) So my question is: is there an easy way to put the new graphics it into this set or there is just some kind of hard way?
Thanks in advance.
In theory it should be fairly easy. The tedious part will be converting all the realsprites in the grf to version 32 format.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Hello, I'm not sure if my post is in proper place, however I have question concerning Ecs_Cargovectors_1_2_0.
I know that it is only an abstract transport game, but in real life sand is usually not a raw material for cement productivity,
you need limestone, coal and optional ashes to put together into rotary kiln.
Limestone came from quarry, ashes from steel mill or power plant. Ash is transported in silo wagons.
Sand and cement are used to produce building materials, or can be sold directly to the final consumer.
Is it possible and good idea to fix it?
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

PikkaBird wrote:
viktoria.s wrote:
Thanks in advance.
In theory it should be fairly easy. The tedious part will be converting all the realsprites in the grf to version 32 format.

Code: Select all

sed -i.old "/\(pP[cCnN][xXgG]\)/s/\([a-zA-Z0-9/]*\.[a-zA-Z0-9]*\) *\([0-9]*\) *\([0-9]*\) \(0[19]\) *\([0-9]*\) *\([0-9]*\) *\([-0-9]*\) *\([-0-9]*\)/\1 8bpp \2 \3 \6 \5 \7 \8 normal chunked/g" file.nfo

e.g.
305 sprites/EM30.pcx 226 328 09 20 21 -6 -13
becomes
305 sprites/EM30.pcx 8bpp 226 328 21 20 -6 -13 normal chunked
should cover most cases and can be adjusted if the file paths require more characters or for another subsequent run for sprites with compression byte set to nocrop as well.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

note that for 32bpp images to show up in the GRF, grfcodec must be run with the "-g2" option.
viktoria.s
Engineer
Engineer

Post by viktoria.s »

Hi,

thanks everybody for your help. But for me this 32bpp graphics development looks way more complicated then I thought. :( I would like to appologize to you George but in this circumstances I think I'd better not to do this. Sorry one more time and I wish the project lots of success.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

viktoria.s wrote:But for me this 32bpp graphics development looks way more complicated then I thought.
it is really not complicated at all...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

viktoria.s wrote:Hi,

thanks everybody for your help. But for me this 32bpp graphics development looks way more complicated then I thought. :( I would like to appologize to you George but in this circumstances I think I'd better not to do this. Sorry one more time and I wish the project lots of success.
Nah, don't feel deterred by these technicalities. This all sounded probably way more complicated than it actually is. Also, as graphics artist you don't need to deal with these things; these are things which will need handling by the coder(s) - you 'just' make nice graphics.

Return to “Graphics Development”