ECS vectors v1.1.2 (by George) 19/06/2011

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Do you use ECS with TTDP?

I use ECS under TTDP
3%
I use ECS under TTDP and OTTD
4%
I use ECS under OTTD
93%

Total votes: 166

jacke
Director
Director

Desert towns without water towers

Post by jacke »

I've just started a new game on a tropic map, but I can't make most towns in the desert grow simply because they have no water tower to receive water. Is there any fix for this problem? The best way I can come up with is to use a patch for placing individual houses in the scenario editor, where I can place a water tower in every town. Other suggestions?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: ECS vectors v1.1.2 (by George) 19/06/2011

Post by Alberth »

Fund an industry?
jacke
Director
Director

Post by jacke »

Thanks Alberth, but with the ECS vectors, the water tower is a (TTRS) building, and not an industry.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can use the "fund new buildings" town councel option, which temporarily removes the food/water requirement from towns, and hope they grow a water tower.

a little less "official" is to build a station that has its sign in this town, but the water tower of another town in its catchment radius. then the town where the station sign is will get awarded the water delivery.
jacke
Director
Director

Post by jacke »

Thanks for the suggestions Eddi! :)
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Hi George, I just tried the latest ECS on http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ecs ... /revisions

Should the industries work properly or is it not ready yet to that point? I've tried all the GRF settings and couldn't have any industries besides tourists show up.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Digitalfox wrote:Hi George, I just tried the latest ECS on http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ecs ... /revisions

Should the industries work properly or is it not ready yet to that point? I've tried all the GRF settings and couldn't have any industries besides tourists show up.
currently there are no industries in. Only several houses. I've just started to convert ECS to NML. Currently I'm learning NML :D for houses and industries. Converting ECS to NML would take time.
Image Image Image Image
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

George wrote:
Digitalfox wrote:Hi George, I just tried the latest ECS on http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ecs ... /revisions

currently there are no industries in. Only several houses. I've just started to convert ECS to NML. Currently I'm learning NML :D for houses and industries. Converting ECS to NML would take time.
Ok thank you :)

I just wanted to be sure it wasn't my fault for not working. :)
Roslav
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roslav »

Will there be ECS NewGrf with all vectors, since having complete ECS enabled takes 7 NewGRF slots.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Roslav wrote:Will there be ECS NewGrf with all vectors, since having complete ECS enabled takes 7 NewGRF slots.
All vectors would be inside one grf file
Image Image Image Image
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

George wrote:
Roslav wrote:Will there be ECS NewGrf with all vectors, since having complete ECS enabled takes 7 NewGRF slots.
Having each of the ECS vectors on its own is a nice feature, IMO (for a number of reasons). Lack of newGRF slots shouldn´t be a problem, and o/c not a reason for giving up the sets layout.

regards
Michael
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

michael blunck wrote:
George wrote:
Having each of the ECS vectors on its own is a nice feature, IMO (for a number of reasons). Lack of newGRF slots shouldn´t be a problem, and o/c not a reason for giving up the sets layout.

regards
Michael
If they can be disabled by parameter, you can still have them on their own, just in one NewGRF. Then those NewGRF slots that some people seem to want come free, while it might also have other advantages, while still allowing the control of which parts are active and which ones are not. I don't see a real reason to keep them as separate files.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

Transportman wrote:
michael blunck wrote:
George wrote:All vectors would be inside one grf file

regards
Michael
If they can be disabled by parameter, you can still have them on their own, just in one NewGRF. Then those NewGRF slots that some people seem to want come free, while it might also have other advantages, while still allowing the control of which parts are active and which ones are not. I don't see a real reason to keep them as separate files.
I agree and George has put the parameters in place already (Didn't check if the code to make them work is there already or not ;) )
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

[ECS vector layout]
Transportman wrote: I don't see a real reason to keep them as separate files.
"Keep together which has to be kept together. Keep apart what should be kept apart." (read back ancient ECS discussions).

Each ECS "vector" (kind of a "module") covers cargoes and industries of a specific industrial sector (agricultural, mining, manufacturing, construction, ...), which have near to nothing in common (neither cargoes, graphics, industry layout, text strings, code). In fact, integration of those vectors into one large newGRF, and to implement ways to address their constituents by parameters would need to introduce extra overhead.

OTOH, for a set of vehicles it makes good sense to keep them together in one large set, mainly because there might be strong interdependencies between those vehicles (code-wise), and there might be no reasons to be able to split it up into a number of sub-sets.

There´s only a limitation on the number of newGRFs usable in MP (63). But an existing limitation is never a sufficient reason for any argument, i.e. even when "sparing" 6 newGRF slots with ECS, that won´t help against a flood of other newGRFs.

regards
Michael
nihues
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nihues »

Hey guys, I have a quesiton about ECS, I'm playing for first time (actually started about 5-6 games and restarted to change some grfs, and now things are going great, nice industry set and hard to play, I really like the rating system, stockpiles and the way it works.

My question is about industry production/change. I'm feeding a Cannery with fish, only fish, it's on ultimate already and produces only ~200 tons of food/month. Fishing is transboarding above max stockpile.
The Cannery shows only LLL lines, only 1 F line (the first one), why it's not changed to all F if I'm only feeding with fish? Never sent Livestock.

Now i'm starting to send steel to that Cannery, and in 2-3y I'll send livestock, because one has openned nearby.

Other question, do you guys play with daylength? I'm playing with de Spring Patch (last 2015 version) + UKRS2 (starting in 1850, so 7 tiles = train with ~120-150 tons of transportation with 10x weight multiplier) and without DL it feels like I need a ton of trains, ships, horses (!!) to transport things, like 1 farm or industry is enougth to saturate a dual line. I'm playing with DL set to 4, so things feels more balanced (and a year don't pass like a month). With 4DL, 2 fishing spots on ultimate don't saturate a 2way line. I know that with better trains and the new vagons it will be better balanced, less trains (right now the vagons are 5-6 tons/vagon) and max speed = 56km/h, but I want to know what you guys use to try next time.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

nihues wrote:Hey guys, I have a quesiton about ECS, I'm playing for first time (actually started about 5-6 games and restarted to change some grfs, and now things are going great, nice industry set and hard to play, I really like the rating system, stockpiles and the way it works.
My question is about industry production/change. I'm feeding a Cannery with fish, only fish, it's on ultimate already and produces only ~200 tons of food/month. Fishing is transboarding above max stockpile.
The Cannery shows only LLL lines, only 1 F line (the first one), why it's not changed to all F if I'm only feeding with fish? Never sent Livestock.
Now i'm starting to send steel to that Cannery, and in 2-3y I'll send livestock, because one has openned nearby.
Other question, do you guys play with daylength? I'm playing with de Spring Patch (last 2015 version) + UKRS2 (starting in 1850, so 7 tiles = train with ~120-150 tons of transportation with 10x weight multiplier) and without DL it feels like I need a ton of trains, ships, horses (!!) to transport things, like 1 farm or industry is enougth to saturate a dual line. I'm playing with DL set to 4, so things feels more balanced (and a year don't pass like a month). With 4DL, 2 fishing spots on ultimate don't saturate a 2way line. I know that with better trains and the new vagons it will be better balanced, less trains (right now the vagons are 5-6 tons/vagon) and max speed = 56km/h, but I want to know what you guys use to try next time.
ECS does not support DL patches :(
Image Image Image Image
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

No work for me at all the latest version, works only my version 1.2 which comes every GRF separately. It's weird.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

sunshare wrote:No work for me at all the latest version, works only my version 1.2 which comes every GRF separately. It's weird.
How does "no work" look like? Some error messages?
Image Image Image Image
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Is it possible to upgrade available online 1.1.2 vectors with current translations https://translator.openttdcoop.org/project/ecs ?
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

McZapkie wrote:Is it possible to upgrade available online 1.1.2 vectors with current translations https://translator.openttdcoop.org/project/ecs ?
No. Web translation would be available in v2.0 only
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”