ECS vectors v1.1.2 (by George) 19/06/2011

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Do you use ECS with TTDP?

I use ECS under TTDP
3%
I use ECS under TTDP and OTTD
4%
I use ECS under OTTD
93%

Total votes: 166

George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

wallyweb wrote:Rather, I started a scenario and looked at the industry selection window which shows the "accepts" and "produces" for each industry listed. I assume that these would remain the same if the industries were actually built.
Did you just applied different combinations of sets just one after an other? Well, than it is a known problem.

2Csaboka:
It is the case we discussed about map editor, I suppose. You've suggested to ad a special cheat to clear the structure. Do you plan to do it yet?
Image Image Image Image
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

I'm not just planning to do it, I've already done it. :) It's somewhat kludgy, but at least allows you to get rid of the industry sets you don't want anymore.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Csaboka wrote:I'm not just planning to do it, I've already done it. :) It's somewhat kludgy, but at least allows you to get rid of the industry sets you don't want anymore.
2 wallyweb:
Try it please
Image Image Image Image
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

George wrote:
Csaboka wrote:I'm not just planning to do it, I've already done it. :) It's somewhat kludgy, but at least allows you to get rid of the industry sets you don't want anymore.
2 wallyweb:
Try it please
I tried it and it works! :D
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

** Not a double post ** This is a completely different issue

Hi George,

A bit of a problem with the tinning factory. Lots of Red Dots.
Attachments
Red Dot Canning Company maybe???
Red Dot Canning Company maybe???
tinning.png (16.49 KiB) Viewed 7752 times
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

I get reproducable crashes when using the ECS town vector in conjunction with articulated vehicles. The game crashes onto the desktop when I try to sell an articulated vehicle. No error log is created. It does not matter what kind of vehicle I try to sell (tried with trams as well as with buses from my own set), as long as it is an articulated one. Disabling ECSTownw.grf solved the crashes. I also tried disabling all grfs except for the ECS one and my road vehicle set, but it still crashed.
I'm using nightly r1411 (windows version), config files are attached.
Attachments
ttdpatch.cfg
Don't be fooled by the r1203 line, I just did not update the cfg file.
(34.33 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
newgrfw.cfg
(452 Bytes) Downloaded 303 times
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

wallyweb wrote:A bit of a problem with the tinning factory. Lots of Red Dots.
Didn't I write about it in documentation? :roll:
Image Image Image Image
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

George wrote:
I know I saw this mentioned somewhere but I am now unable to find it. Do you have a link?
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

wallyweb wrote:
George wrote:
I know I saw this mentioned somewhere but I am now unable to find it. Do you have a link?
http://george.zernebok.net/newgrf/newca ... ector.html
Image Image Image Image
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

George wrote:
wallyweb wrote:
George wrote:Didn't I write about it in documentation? :roll:
Thanks George :D
I understand now. I was worried that the dots indicated a problem but now I see that they don't. They indicate production line status, which is a good idea. I like it. However, I do find the dots a bit distracting. I am going to think about this for a little while, and if you do not mind, I will suggest perhaps a less distracting way to do this.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

wallyweb wrote:
George wrote:
wallyweb wrote:I know I saw this mentioned somewhere but I am now unable to find it. Do you have a link?
Thanks George :D
I understand now. I was worried that the dots indicated a problem but now I see that they don't. They indicate production line status, which is a good idea. I like it. However, I do find the dots a bit distracting. I am going to think about this for a little while, and if you do not mind, I will suggest perhaps a less distracting way to do this.
It is a test phase now (beta). I'll remove them later as soon as I decide that there are no bugs.
Image Image Image Image
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Another question:

In the scenario editor, I am trying to build a printing works
I am unable to build it.
I keep getting one of four error messages:
1. "Must be built in town suburbs."
2. "Must be built in towns."
3. "Must be built near water."
4. "Can't build near water."

The information on your web site is too vague. Can you be more specific as to where an industry can be built?
For instance, what do those errors mean?
How can one tile be too close to water and the tile next to it will say must be built near water? This does not make sense.

On a related point, what if a player starts a new game where none of the towns are near water? There are several industries which he will not be able to have. The player will never be able to see those industries.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

wallyweb wrote:Another question:

In the scenario editor, I am trying to build a printing works
I am unable to build it.
I keep getting one of four error messages:
1. "Must be built in town suburbs."
2. "Must be built in towns."
3. "Must be built near water."
4. "Can't build near water."

The information on your web site is too vague. Can you be more specific as to where an industry can be built?
For instance, what do those errors mean?
How can one tile be too close to water and the tile next to it will say must be built near water? This does not make sense.
thank you for pointing a bug with distance to water!
wallyweb wrote:On a related point, what if a player starts a new game where none of the towns are near water? There are several industries which he will not be able to have. The player will never be able to see those industries.
Yes. that is intended.
Image Image Image Image
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

George wrote:
wallyweb wrote:On a related point, what if a player starts a new game where none of the towns are near water? There are several industries which he will not be able to have. The player will never be able to see those industries.
Yes. that is intended.
It is intended that in some games a player will never be able to complete a vector?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> It is intended that in some games a player will never be able to complete a vector?

Hehe. Apparently, George´s implementations get more and more complex. I´ve just taken a quick look into one of his new files and although I knew he gets the hang on it, I was really amazed how complicated he likes things to evolve, now when Csaba implemented all those new gadgets.

Would be very interesting whether "the community" likes it or not. 8)

regards
Michael
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

michael blunck wrote:> It is intended that in some games a player will never be able to complete a vector?

Hehe. Apparently, George´s implementations get more and more complex. I´ve just taken a quick look into one of his new files and although I knew he gets the hang on it, I was really amazed how complicated he likes things to evolve, now when Csaba implemented all those new gadgets.

Would be very interesting whether "the community" likes it or not. 8)

regards
Michael
The intricacies of his vectors are not so much the concern. In fact I rather enjoy it. It makes me think. That said, the player still needs a chance to succeed and, especially with LandGen, it is all too possible for the game to build towns without water. One or two such industries, for example the brewery, is ok. As long as the player is aware that water is required, a canal can be built but industries such as the printing works requiring proximity to water make no sense at all.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> industries such as the printing works requiring proximity to water make no sense at all.

What does "sense" mean in the context of a game?

There´s sense in everything and/or in nothing. I mean, everyone could find a justification for even the silliest thing in a game: Maybe they need water for cooling their antediluvial printing machines? At least before 1950 ... 8)

regards
Michael
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

wallyweb wrote:The information on your web site is too vague. Can you be more specific as to where an industry can be built?
Documentation updated. Is it Ok now?
Image Image Image Image
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

George wrote:
wallyweb wrote:The information on your web site is too vague. Can you be more specific as to where an industry can be built?
"Printing works should be build on flat land near water (4 - 20) towns (Rz0 > Ed > Rz1)" looks ok ... just one more question ... what does (Rz0 > Ed > Rz1) mean?

Well ok ... another question ... water bug mentioned earlier ... is it fixed now or will it be fixed in your next release?
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

wallyweb wrote:
George wrote:
"Printing works should be build on flat land near water (4 - 20) towns (Rz0 > Ed > Rz1)" looks ok ... just one more question ... what does (Rz0 > Ed > Rz1) mean?
RzX is the town zone #X radius, Ed is the distance between the industry and the town.
wallyweb wrote:Well ok ... another question ... water bug mentioned earlier ... is it fixed now or will it be fixed in your next release?
next release
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”