Swedish trains by AndersI (and others) - upd 2009-05-24

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Purno wrote:AndersI, correct me if I'm wrong, but there seem to be 2 pantographs on that train
Yep, you're right again. I never thought of that - wonder if it is possible to get that level of detail in a TTD sprite? The / \ views would get very cluttered... I'm not even sure I'll try.

Here is the current state of all the views:
Attachments
x23.png
x23.png (4.06 KiB) Viewed 7657 times
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Oh my god, that is very nice. I can't wait to see a complete set of these AndersI, very, very nice! Keep it up. I especially like the | views, you've done the train justice.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

OK, new version uploaded, including the X2 (X2000 is the train), first post updated.

Please note that the X2000 does not have motorized wagons. The X2 unit is the only engine. This is like real life (I noted that the Sweset got that wrong).

A normal X2000 consists of X2, five wagons and the UBX2. I think it works well up to seven or eight wagons. If larger it needs another X2.

A normal X2-2 (regional train) consists of X2, two wagons and the UBX2.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

AndersI wrote: ... Please note that the X2000 does not have motorized wagons. The X2 unit is the only engine. This is like real life (I noted that the Sweset got that wrong). ...
A very good looking X2 indeed you've got there. You are quite right it does not have powered wagons; neither has the X2 in the SweSet and the NSBset. They have been implemented with the engine trailing at all times; i.e. the leading passenger coach has 1 hp (the game engine) and the trailing engine is the only one that has power added. Further once you have refitted the train the engine will have the capacity set to one.

Of course, nowadays we would be implementing that train push-pull.

Keep up the good work; this set is really coming along nicely.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

OzTransLtd wrote:neither has the X2 in the SweSet and the NSBset. They have been implemented with the engine trailing at all times; i.e. the leading passenger coach has 1 hp (the game engine) and the trailing engine is the only one that has power added.
OK. I understand. The text in the depot sure fooled me, it's not at all obvious that 'Powered wagons' in this case means 'one powered wagon', but I suppose there are limitations in how much info can be shown in this window.

Anyway, the SweSet has the wrong size of the engine, at least :-)
(And it is not allowed to go faster than 210 km/h in Sweden)

Is there any easily digested information about 'push-pull'? Example grf?
Attachments
Scr29.png
Scr29.png (7.75 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> I suppose there are limitations in how much info can be shown in this window.

Yes, and you´re using it up quite fast.

Wouldn´t it be a good idea to show some of those texts only when a certain engine is actually used in a consist? I.e., "consist up to two.." could be implemented as an error message if someone tries to built more than two, likewise the info for "train length". And "Livery refit" possibilities could be shown when actually refitting the engine.

> Is there any easily digested information about 'push-pull'? Example grf?

The original discussion can be found here. The idea is quite simple: a locomotive sets a flag when travelling "backwards". All the rest has to be done by the .grf author then: checking this flag and switching all the graphics and effect (steam/diesel/sparks) CBs of the whole consist as to give the impression that the consist would be drive "backwards", i.e. engine gets last wagon etc. pp.

This sounds easy but the devil is in the detail, so it´d be wise to wait with an implementation until TTDPatch provides a better feature for this.

regards
Michael
Phaentom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Phaentom »

These are very nice.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

michael blunck wrote:you´re using it up quite fast.
Just a bit of clarification here: The last three trains in that depot picture ('X2000', Rc6 (E/U) and IORE) are from the 'Swedish [mini] Trainset' (SweSet) by fire87, Purno, ThorRune and OzTransLtd, while the rest are mine (or originals). So it's not me using up the text window (yet...).

Thanks for the push-pull info! It looks like I'll let that wish sleep for a while - there are more important things to do :-)
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

AndersI wrote: ... The text in the depot sure fooled me, it's not at all obvious that 'Powered wagons' in this case means 'one powered wagon' ...
Powered Wagons [and Weight ] means simply that at least one wagon will have extra power and/or weight added; which ones is then up to the .grf to implement.
... Anyway, the SweSet has the wrong size of the engine, at least (And it is not allowed to go faster than 210 km/h in Sweden) ...
Don't worry, I don't mind at all if you re-do those engines/wagons that are already in the 'mini' set in order to get things right. Keep going ... at least someone has the interest to improve and expand it.

BTW, if you want to use any of the sprites in the SweSet and/or the NSBSet feel free to do so, including modifying them, as long as the original artist gets a mention or two.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

First sketch of a class 'R' freight engine. Please help me get it better. It's difficult to do the tender as anything else than a black/grey blob...
Attachments
r.png
r.png (11.7 KiB) Viewed 7359 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Anders, actually, I don't see much wrong at all. Attached is a quick mod of how I'd do the tender, but not much changes.
Attachments
R Class with revised tender
R Class with revised tender
RClass.png (2.5 KiB) Viewed 7346 times
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Here´s a drawing in case you don´t have one.

regards
Michael
Attachments
littera_R drawing.jpg
littera_R drawing.jpg (29.25 KiB) Viewed 7341 times
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Keep em coming :)

It's really nice to see that someone is working on some more Swedish trains!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

AndersI wrote:First sketch of a class 'R' freight engine. Please help me get it better. It's difficult to do the tender as anything else than a black/grey blob...
To be honest, I agree with DM. I cannot understand why you downgrade yourself so much in drawing steamers. Your engine shows talent!

If you really want some help, here are a couple of suggestions about how I'd improve that engine. Of course, any drawer has his own style, so take the following as a mere suggestion. ;)

I like your shading effort very much, although I find it follows some horizontal lines a bit too much. So I've tried to change a bit the colors of the pixels on the boiler, using more shades of grey. (Don't be afraid of using a large range of colors in the palette!).

I would say that the piston needs to stand out of the engine a bit more than what you drew. If you see the picture, it's clearly there and it's quite bulky. So I've done it a bit lighter, because the light would hit the engine right there.

The domes are very well drawn, although they might use a darker shade of grey to the base (where the light doesn't get).

I feel the cab was a little bit too long, so I shrunk it by one pixel, merging the two back windows. I understand the windows are three, but TTD drawing is tricky and sometimes it is okay to reach a compromise like this one.

As for the tender, the only thing I thought it might need is a good shading. Remember the light comes from top and right, so the top-right corner is gonna be the lightest one and the bottom-left the darkest one. You can start from the extreme pixels and then fill in the space in the middle by playing with different shades of grey.

Remember, getting the right shape is the first step, but TTD train drawing is all about shading! ;)

I hope this helps. Again, I like your style and I can't wait to see more from you. What do you think?

Cheers!

(Attachment has my editing on top, original in the middle, then DanMack's editing).
Attachments
RClass.png
RClass.png (3.33 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Thanks for the comments all of you! I'm not 'degrading' myself - it's just that my own feeling is that I haven't 'caught the image' of steamers as much as I have with the blue Rc6, for example.

@DanMacK: So little, and so much better. Just a few pixels to break the monotony.

@Michael: Thanks for the drawing, that's much better than blurry B/W pictures when getting the dimensions right.

@Snail: That gradual shading of the tender does look very good, but it's not matching the drawing style of the rest of my engines/wagons - I'm more of a 'straigh lines' man, at least for this first set. I agree with your dome shading, will definitely change my drawing. You also put much more life in the tender wheels - although they might be a bit big - thanks! And the piston too (probably). As for the cab length, I disagree :-)

See illustration below - it was quite illuminating putting my sprite on top of the drawing Michael supplied. Obviously, I should move the chimney one pixel forward.
Attachments
r_drawing.png
r_drawing.png (58.31 KiB) Viewed 7259 times
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

AndersI wrote:I'm not 'degrading' myself - it's just that my own feeling is that I haven't 'caught the image' of steamers as much as I have with the blue Rc6, for example.
A real artist is never satisfied with his work. 8)

> Thanks for the drawing [...]

Which steamers would be next?

> As for the cab length, I disagree [...] See illustration below

Yes, the cab roof doesn´t overlap in this case. In addition to all the other proposals, I´d emphasize the outline of the running board - that would give a much better impression of the boiler.

BTW, max tractive effort for the littera R would be 184kN.

regards
Michael
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chicago Rail Authority »

This post may be considered spam (so I apologize from the outset) - but I just want to throw in my 2 cents and note that the degree of collaboration on this project seems fantastic.

Great job everybody...
Many thanks to those who make OTTD and TTDP possible.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

michael blunck wrote:Which steamers would be next?
I think it will be F - no Swedish railway is complete without that and it complements R on the passenger side. It can probably use the same tender, too (although in reality it looks a bit different).

J should also be done as a smaller, cheaper engine is needed.

Sb is already done, but may certainly need adjustments.

Any drawings of these are welcome, but no hurry. When this side view of the R is done, there are seven more views to fight with - and the same for the tender.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Anders, I just want to say this set is looking really good. You have a great drawing style, and I love sets where all locos are drawn by the same hand (save the input from Purno and Alakamanaia). Keep up the great work, I'll need more steamers before I can play a full game! :D
OSkar000
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OSkar000 »

wow!

This is something i really have waited for. I just had a quick look at it and so far it looks great!

Do you have any plans about adding Y2 (Kustpilen) and X50-54 (Regina)?

Also, what about the Y1 in the new grey/red design? (see picture below)

uhm.. one more, X10-X14 would be fun to see in this set.

and some more trains that i cant remember at the moment.

I really must learn how to make GRFs so I can make a Swedish bus-set.. that combined with at swedish trainset would be really fun to play :)

Return to “Graphics Development”