victorian station

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

daylight
Engineer
Engineer

victorian station

Post by daylight »

hello.

this is my first real proper drawing ive done

i made a little suburban/victorian station. i figured that lots of uk rail stations today are actually old victorian ones, so this would never really look out of place anytime. i used the platforms by cornelius? for aegirs suburban stations. i couldnt really make one that looked as good, and i thought it would tie in nicely with other stations. (Aegir gave me permission)

i thiught id post it to get some feedback/advice for improvements as i dont really know what im doing. anything you thik thats important with regards to what ive drawn. sizes/scale, colours/brightness, actual practical issues of putting it in game, ideas for other things to add.

cheers
Attachments
mockup1.png
mockup1.png (21.58 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Very nice work! :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

coolies! 8)
now, finish the middle section, chop out the platform closest to us, add stuff to the back section; (car park, trees, stuff) finish the view for the othe way / and get someone to code it!
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Dave

Post by Dave »

EXCELLENT work for a newcomer!

Keep it up!

The only suggestion I would have is cutting the middle platform just to see if it works as with a lot of the British stations. My guess is that it won't (because it hasn't before), but its always wrth a shot.

Great effort!

EDIT: I would also suggest another tile with the usual "ramp" sections where the platform ends. Other than that - I'm in shock! :D
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Wow, that is really good, I can't wait to see that ingame :) (no, I won't help the process, I'm too busy :P).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Dave

Post by Dave »

One other thing is that the sign is probably a little large.

Flickr

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Yes, it is very good for a newcomer. Congratulations!
Only I don't like the view of the blue edge on sighs and bridge but with a single pixel line you cannot do any better. If a brighter color was used it would look worse.
Since this station is really blending well with other graphics I kindly request drawing the same scaled x4 and 32bit for OpenTTD.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sorry, but, I think not... This looks good BECAUSE it looks quaint in 8bit graphics. 32 bit would cause it to look far too refined, in my opinion.

Flickr

daylight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by daylight »

-yeah- i havent really done the middle platform yet- i was thinking some benches/signs/plantpots maybe some shelters-more of the same ones?

-im not sure whwat you mean chop out the platform closest... i like having it both sides, its closer to a real station-like what dave worley suggested (i will try it with no middle platform, but i didnt go with that because i thought it might look funny too.

-definately will do some end slope bits

-got some of the other direction done-
going to have the other direction showing the back of the station building and carpark area i think,
then do a similar, but a little different building for the other side of the platform- for a bit of variety between stations.
you think it will be ok to use the shelters as they are just flipped?- maybe a bit of shading..

-for the the 32bit graphics- im certainly interested in where its going, but to be honest, i just dont have any real idea of what it wwould be like. also, it would require learning an entire new program (i have to properly model them in blender dont i?). i know photoshop pretty well and i can play with these a little in ttd now.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Hi daylight,
Great work. looks really good! :D The only thing I would suggest is a bit more contrast - for example, on the station building itself. Many newgrfs seem to be very low in contrast these days and I think they need more to show their features and fit into TTD better.
Edit: Just for the record, yours only needs a tiny bit in certain places like the roof edges. :)

Also, Id like to request that you come over to the BRSet website and see if you could help out with our infrastructure items! 8)
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

:shock: Thats not bad for a newbie to artistry! Very well done.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Dave

Post by Dave »

Ben_K wrote:Also, Id like to request that you come over to the BRSet website and see if you could help out with our infrastructure items! 8)
Although please don't feel forced to do so - we're a laid back bunch at the BR Set :)

Flickr

Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Yeah, sorry... I did seem a bit strong there! :oops:
(The embarrassing bit is that I changed it once as it already seemed a bit heavy. Oooops! Mental note: Must work on inter-personal skills... :lol: )
daylight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by daylight »

yeah. ill have a look at what your doing over there. been trying to think of what to draw. i must be very careful as im in the middle of my exams and i could easily fail them because ive been drawing pictures... at the end of the month thoungh im off uni until october! and im not really sure what ill be doing with myself. :D

Return to “Graphics Development”