Nissan Utility Vehicle Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Nissan Utility Vehicle Set

Post by Toni Babelony »

Hello all,

Recently, I've been wondering of how to fill the gap in the Japan Set that is caused by missing road vehicles. ATM, I'm using the Long Vehicles set, but it's not very realistic to have Ikarus and Fiat busses and Mercedes Trucks running around in a Japanese setting. Next to that, in the future, I think I will have more to do with people from Nissan if all goes well, so this is a good way of learning about that company's history I think.

The history of Nissan is quite complicated, with merges and half-merges, but I've managed to make some sense out of it, so that I now have a realistic list of vehicles to include. The major focus will be, from the beginning, on Nissan Motors Inc. vehicles. These would include Nissan and Datsun vehicles (mostly small trucks and busses), but after that part is finished, I'll move on to the heavier Nissan Diesel (UD Trucks) vehicles (mid-, large trucks and busses). I'd like to start on Nissan Diesel vehicles earlier, but since data is scarce and data on Nissan isn't, I've decided on starting with Nissan first.

Anyway, I think this set will be of interest to many, since it won't look bad in an Aussie, Russian or any other Asian setting.

For those interested, I've put the tracking table online here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... FZ3c#gid=0 If anyone is interested in adding data to the sheet/has sources, please contact me!

Also, if anyone would like to see how these vehicles partially looked like in real life, please see this website: http://www.earlydatsun.com/index.html It's a gold mine of information for early Nissans.

Cheers!

Toni

P.s. When I say Nissan, I mean Nissan Motors Inc. (Nissan, Datsun, Prince). If I say Nissan Diesel, I mean Nissan Diesel Inc. (Nissan Diesel, UD Trucks, Nihon Diesel, Minsei Diesel).

P.p.s. Progress on this set will probably be very slow, due to other IRL stuff I have to take care of now, but I'll keep you updated on this!
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Nissan Utility Vehicle Set

Post by Quast65 »

Nice!

Every addition to make this game more visually exciting to play is very welcome!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

I'm always keen to see more road vehicles

The first truck in the tracking table is 1937, but there is this:

In 1930.

OK its low capacity but small vans are good for FIRS

Cheers

Bob
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Hello Bob_Mackenzie,

The van you're showing is a Datson 10T, which is introduced in 1936 and not in 1930. I've deliberately left those small vans/trucks out of the tracking table, since they wouldn't really add something to the game, other than hauling 2t~5t loads. Plus, it would add quite a lot of cars to the tracking table, ranging from June 1937 (with the Datson 10T) up to August 2002 (with the Datsun D22).

Here is another interesting data sheet by the way:
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/COMPANY ... ELCHANGES/

Cheers!

Toni
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

I'd argue that the vans add plenty when playing FIRS as they are ideal for ~supplies which are best transported in small quantities. This does depend on whether you intend to support FIRS however
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Bob_Mackenzie wrote:I'd argue that the vans add plenty when playing FIRS as they are ideal for ~supplies which are best transported in small quantities. This does depend on whether you intend to support FIRS however
Progress changed a bit, after I andythenorth contacted me about working together on BANDIT is trucks project, so now I can change the contents of this set from all-round vehicles, to vehicles that compliment BANDIT. This would then mean I can include smaller vans (e.g. the Datsun Truck line), next to passenger transport road vehicles.

Plus, I agree on having small capacity vehicles. They add a lot to the game when playing with FIRS or ECS. I just forgot about that, since I got used to play passenger only games recently...

Return to “Graphics Development”