Palette Qs

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SomeIndianGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Palette Qs

Post by SomeIndianGuy »

Hello,
I am asking about the way to implement the 256 colour palette for openttd as I am facing a nightmare to implement it in GIMP.
Any reply would be highly appreciated from any new GRF developer.
I would give credits to all who will help me in this in the future IRTrains set.
:bow: :bow: :mrgreen: :roll:
Nothing to put here!
kamnet

Re: Palette Qs

Post by kamnet »

SomeIndianGuy wrote:Hello,
I am asking about the way to implement the 256 colour palette for openttd as I am facing a nightmare to implement it in GIMP.
I would give credits to all who will help me in this in the future IRTrains set.
There's nothing you need to set up in GIMP if you want to use 32bpp color palette. It uses the entire RGB range from 000,000,000 to 255,255,255. All you need to do is specify that you're using 32bpp in your code.
SomeIndianGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SomeIndianGuy »

kamnet wrote:
SomeIndianGuy wrote:Hello,
There's nothing you need to set up in GIMP if you want to use 32bpp color palette. It uses the entire RGB range from 000,000,000 to 255,255,255. All you need to do is specify that you're using 32bpp in your code.
Sir, I mean to make 8bpp.
Nothing to put here!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

kamnet wrote:There's nothing you need to set up in GIMP if you want to use 32bpp color palette.
You still need correctly paletted 8 bit sprites if you want to use company colours or other remapping effects in 32bpp.

I still use a 20-year-old version of Paint Shop Pro to make OpenTTD sprites. It's very hard to find a modern graphics editor which has decent tools for manipulating and applying 8 bit palettes.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

You can import this palette in to gimp. I don't remember if it's the DOS or Windows version of the palette, though.

EDIT: vv better link below
Last edited by peter1138 on 16 Mar 2019 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

SomeIndianGuy wrote:Sir, I mean to make 8bpp.
My apologies, I misread your comment. :oops:
peter1138 wrote:You can import this palette in to gimp. I don't remember if it's the DOS or Windows version of the palette, though.
Here's a link with GIMP profiles for both Windows and DOS palettes (I suggest using DOS), and profiles for GIMP, PaintShopPro and Photoshop.

https://dev.openttdcoop.org/documents/1
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

You also can use a GRFMaker sprite editor, which has the integrated TTD palette, DOS/Windows-compatibility and some good tools.
Image Image
Sprite artist and NewGRF developer, coding in NML. My projects:
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
Screenshots: New York City Subway Episodes
SomeIndianGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SomeIndianGuy »

Tony Pixel wrote:You also can use a GRFMaker sprite editor, which has the integrated TTD palette, DOS/Windows-compatibility and some good tools.
Thank you, legendary NewGRF developer and Mr. Kamnet, legendary moderator for your insight!
Nothing to put here!

Return to “Graphics Development”