Military Transport - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

uzusan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by uzusan »

I’m quite interested in this, I'm going to try and make a troop transport tonight.

One thing though, how would player colours be shown? (Since most of the army stuff will be camouflage based).

I was thinking perhaps a circle logo that is in the company colour? (Like a red circle on the wings of planes) or something similar.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - PKD
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

The S-160 Consolidations would be a good loco to include. I'd also suggest an MRS-1, both ALCo and EMD made them for use overseas
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

ok, the industry web (updated) is now here, i also added a copper mine
which produces ore for the smelter which makes metal etc.
Attachments
Industry web.PNG
Industry web.PNG (41.02 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Hyronymus wrote:Yes I do, unfortunately the text is in Dutch. It seems it were ex-LMS diesel shunters.http://www.nicospilt.com/Dieselloks_500.htm
I'm not being picky but those are class 08 shunters, 15 mph! (pikka has them in UKRS)
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

barracks and so on

Post by m4rek »

15mph? if it goes that slow then i guess it has good pulling power, if so then it would be good for pulling ship wagons...

and m3henry, i hope you dont mind that i am using part of your signature (toyland), do you mind?

i have some design work for the barracks (by me) which was done in my planner, during a lesson....

i had to shrink the image to post it, so im not sure of the quality...

top left is a simple sketch, the 3 others are design drawings of barracks of different sizes,

the bottom one is not yet finished, but you get the idea:
bottom left would be parking, top would be a building and centre would be parade ground
Attachments
m4001.4.PNG
(2.44 MiB) Downloaded 184 times
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

DaleStan wrote:
M4rek wrote:however, i was hoping that i would get more specific answers to my questions... ie what is the limit...
plz and thank you
Read.
The.
Fine.
Manual.

If you still can't find the information you want, tell us where you think it should be, and chances are execllent that it will appear there.
Alternatively, tell us that you think it's on a certian page, but that you can't make heads nor tails of that page.

I know where to find the information, but pointing you to it won't do anything to keep the next person from asking the same question. Fixing the documentation will. But you have to help us do that.
hmmm, i cant make heads or tail of any of it...half of it tells you what the switches do, most of the rest tells us all the sign cheats, then theres bits and bobs on how things are calculated and how things are used...

i cant find anything on the limits i am seeking, i believe you should make a part called "limits" and within that you can put all the limits you can think of (maximum dimensions of vehicles, maximum specs of vehicles, maximum industry types, - i could go on all day...)

--sorry for double post, but this is completely irrelevant from my previous post
uzusan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by uzusan »

Ive made a first attempt at a troop carrier.

Its loosely based on this - http://www.whiteowl.com/files/m35rb.jpg

I need to tidy it up a lot and make it look better (more lighting effects / camo etc)

I created a small grf file which replaces the first bus (MPS regal) with the troop carrier so you can see it working. it doesnt alter any of the stats of the bus (so it still picks up passengers from the bus station.)
Attachments
troop.zip
The grf file and the nfo / pcx files. Ive tested this in openttd 0.4.8 and the miniIN, i cant see any reason why it wouldn't work in ttdpatch.
(3 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
A screenshot of the grf file in action
A screenshot of the grf file in action
troop-screenshot.png (48.2 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
the pcx file (converted to png)
the pcx file (converted to png)
troop.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Looks pretty nice! But as you said, it needs more detail..
Saibot
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Saibot »

Darkmast49 wrote:Looks pretty nice! But as you said, it needs more detail..
I agree.
uzusan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by uzusan »

Cheers. The idea with this version was to get something working so i could see it in the game and work on it from there.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Arn't some, or most Army trucks Tan or Sage in colour? :wink:
Might be different around the world though.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

yeah, looking good, still needs work, thats for sure...if youre not sure what it needs (although im sure you know), you need to change the colours, add some texture, do the shading, at least its the right shape (i think), keep up the good work, good luck, and have fun

EDIT: i have an image of the sort of barracks i am trying to achieve, there are no photographs i can find to suit my taste, so this will have to do, for starters i need that building on the left (with the arrow pointing to it), 2 per square (minus the boxes) and i have no idea how to do it, i dont even know where to start...

i want it kinda like the one on the right, minus the clutter, and have that per square (like in my design sketches in a previous post)

btw, can i have some comments on my design sketches
Attachments
barracks.PNG
barracks.PNG (66.57 KiB) Viewed 519 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

uzusan wrote:Ive made a first attempt at a troop carrier.
Read my tutorials and you'll discover there's something wrong with _ view. :wink:

Also, read about shading.

Diagonal views have a good shape, btw. Keep up the good work.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
graphics_master
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by graphics_master »

Hey.

Long time no see people. I will try to help with some stuff I can't garuntee it will be perfect as I have not been making graphics for ages.
Lt gable
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Lt gable »

i was thinking about the battlefield having the same sheme than farms, i explain: random tiles with military units destroyed and alive changing with the time. i did few examples here they are.
Attachments
bunker, crashed plane and tanks
bunker, crashed plane and tanks
bunker.PNG (4.4 KiB) Viewed 3675 times
there are things known and things unknown and in between are the doors.
Saibot
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Saibot »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but such random squares of farming land, isn't that impossible?

I think I've heard that somewhere, but maybe my memory is failing me..
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

But, shouldn't battlefields be moving, or sth?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
uzusan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by uzusan »

Purno wrote:
uzusan wrote:Ive made a first attempt at a troop carrier.
Read my tutorials and you'll discover there's something wrong with _ view. :wink:

Also, read about shading.

Diagonal views have a good shape, btw. Keep up the good work.
Cheers, ill have a look. (they didn't look quite right to me) ill see if i can clean them up a bit.

One of the ideas i had was making the truck more camouflaged and having different versions for each climate (i.e green/brown for temperate, tan/brown for tropical and white / grey for artic. Oh and polka dots for toyland ;) )
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

no, no toyland

toyland will not exist, this set will completely replace toyland (or that was the original idea anyway)

if you read my original post you will know that...this set replaces industries, lanscape, stations, EVERYTHING

but what you said sparks an interesting idea...we could have warzone to replace toyland, and simply replace everything but lanscape in the other climates...

and yes, i do know thats gonna take a long time...
my best guess is 10 yrs +
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hmmmm....

Maybe trees could be replaced by sprites of wreckage of war.

Just assume that battles are taking place without being visible.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “Graphics Development”