Russian buildings.

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Dictu
Engineer
Engineer

Russian buildings.

Post by Dictu »

"Realistic" depot version. Narrow gate opening, big windows, joins in one building when build nexto each other, company colored roof. 30-50's style.

Sorry for posting .exe. I'm not too good at grf's and need coder's help.
Attachments
rusdepot_v_0_51.rar
extract to /data, execute, run game.
(9.53 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Depot in landscape.
Depot in landscape.
depot_euro.png (66.51 KiB) Viewed 6693 times
Боже Царя Храни!
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Russian buildings.

Post by Ben_K »

Dictu, your artistry is fantastic. 8)
I would, however, recommend a wider door entrance. It looks perfectly in line with the rails and if the train was wider than its wheelbase (As most are) then it would hit the side walls! :o
Also, it looks a little low. If you look at the loco, consider the size of a person driving it, then compared that to the building. I hope you understand what I mean by that! :?
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

I like this depot very much. :D

I would make the top front window a bit smaller. The one without window is better.

If you want to create a long depot you have to check the following:
1. Remove the pipe.
2. Check how to fill the gap.

On the shaded side you have overdone the windows gradient. It is too bright (see arrow).
Attachments
some issues.png
some issues.png (6.43 KiB) Viewed 6492 times
overbright.png
overbright.png (8.09 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
Last edited by athanasios on 22 Oct 2007 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Dictu wrote:Sorry for posting .exe. I'm not too good at grf's and need coder's help.
grd2grf is your friend.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Dictu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dictu »

About depot. Windows gradient is too bright in some places, that's right, but i gonna leave it as is until i get some inspiration to fix. The pipe is at the place - it covers dark line appearing between two depots standing next to each other. Pretending dark line is a shadow of the pipe ::)

Now the next building - medium red brick house, thousands of this kind where build all over USSR in 30's-60's. Now i can make .grf!!!
Attachments
medium_red_brick_house_euro.png
medium_red_brick_house_euro.png (76.34 KiB) Viewed 5701 times
medredbrickhouse.grf
(2.24 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Боже Царя Храни!
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Nice and with correct scale.
What is your goal? A full Russian buildings set, or just a few buildings that might end in TTRS?
Request: Can you provide a 32bpp replacement too? Or better work in 32bpp?
Please provide information as to which original building (/ TTRS, since most of us use this set) it replaces.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Dictu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dictu »

I'm intended to put some Russian buildings into the game. That's an official realistic goal of the project. Of course, I'd like to make some "Russian Town Replacement Set", but that's too much for one man. It gonna be "one building - one grf" way until it grows into something bigger. By now these buildings do not replace anything, even the original game graphics.

It won't fit for TTRS, cause (1) it's drawn in different style, (2) it's nationally oriented. And one more thing (3): i used to be by myself and won't let anybody decide whether to put my graphics into the project or not (down with democracy, i am the dictator!). I think, masters of TTRS won't like such a position. By the way(4), i heard that TTRS is finished and closed.

About 32bpp. I do not like the idea itself. As far as i've seen, 32bpp OTTD is just some other game with some other gameplay, not the one Lord Chris gave us. And more. 8bpp graphic is a clear pixelart with its own restrictions, hints and nice possibilities. 32bpp sprites are mostly rendered. These are two different ways of drawing. I know only pixelart way. So Russian buildings will stay 8bpp.

P.S. Here you can see more buildings, to be coded soon...
Боже Царя Храни!
Dictu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dictu »

Stalin era big house.
Attachments
...in landscape
...in landscape
Stalin_era_big_house_euro.png (71.22 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
stalin_era_big_house_w.grf
(2.78 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Боже Царя Храни!
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Great work Dictu, Im very impressed by your skills.
Dictu wrote:...."Russian Town Replacement Set" ... ...these buildings do not replace anything, even the original game graphics.
I look forward to the set and I am very happy to hear that these ADD buildings and do not overwrite them. That makes me a lot happier to use them. :)
It won't fit for TTRS, cause (1) it's drawn in different style, (2) it's nationally oriented. And one more thing (3): i used to be by myself and won't let anybody decide whether to put my graphics into the project or not (down with democracy, i am the dictator!). I think, masters of TTRS won't like such a position. By the way(4), i heard that TTRS is finished and closed.
1- I agree they don't fit TTRS. I must admit, I prefer your style as its more inkeeping with original TTD style.
2- It would make sense to keep it as one set of purely Russian buildings rather than mix other sets. People can always use multiple sets if they wish.
About 32bpp. ...8bpp graphic is a clear pixelart with its own restrictions, hints and nice possibilities. ...I know only pixelart way. So Russian buildings will stay 8bpp.
I agree entirely. :)
P.S. Here you can see more buildings, to be coded soon...
Excellent.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Dictu wrote:Stalin era big house.
All your buildings are really nice (I looked through the whole russian thread), and fit well with the original scheme. Maybe some of them are a bit too bright and shiny, I'd suggest that you never use pure white <255,255,255>, and tone down one step. The blue-white row on the stalinka for example feels too bright for the game. The prostodom is more like the original TTD gloom :-)

Oooh, you've made snowy houses too! I definitely like them! But the Visotka I can manage without :-) It would never fit in, in my Swedish games.

Very good drawing here folks! Do take a look in that russian thread - it's well worth it.
Dictu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dictu »

AndersI wrote:Maybe some of them are a bit too bright and shiny, I'd suggest that you never use pure white <255,255,255>, and tone down one step. The blue-white row on the stalinka for example feels too bright for the game.
I know. George told me. That was at the very beginning. I'm working at it.
AndersI wrote:Oooh, you've made snowy houses too! I definitely like them!
You know, half a year there's a lot of snow round here :::) All of the houses gonna have snowy variants. But at the moment i don't know how to incorporate snowy variants into the game via GRFMaker.
AndersI wrote: But the Visotka I can manage without :-) It would never fit in, in my Swedish games.
That's why i think i should make a separate grf for each house. And keep all of them available for download when the set is released.

Of course it won't fit, as there are no buildings of this type in Sweden. It's a special sort of skyskrapers of Stalin era, built in the capitals of USSR republics and some East European capitals, such as Warsaw. The one you're talking about is fantasy: what if something of that style appear in Moscow-2020?
Боже Царя Храни!
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Dictu wrote:That's why i think i should make a separate grf for each house.
That might be a lot of GRF:s, maybe you could include all in one GRF and use the bits of the GRF parameters to turn buildings off?
I know. I've been in Moscow and Leningrad (as it's name was then), and the Moscow sky line by night is quite fascinating!
3pr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 3pr »

I just want to make a general complement post about how amazing these buildings are and particularly the depot. Your style is perfect and as a crappy pixel artist myself i have a great deal of difficulty emulating someone elses style sufficiently to make something that would look suitable in tt. I think it is great that you have taken scale into account too as i have personally been driven mad by the lack of scale in tt buildings. would you consider, once you have enough buildings, combining them into a set which does replace the originals as well as keeping the seperate releases? There are certain buildings in the tt town that i loathe and want to turn my back on.

Return to “Graphics Development”