[REQ] New Mast (Emley Moor Mast)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

[REQ] New Mast (Emley Moor Mast)

Post by Redirect Left »

Similar to the fortress, kindly drawn by Oz late last year, this is Emley Moor Mast, it is a large transmitting tower near where i live in England. This could be a nice feature when eis_os completes newobjects.

Emley Moor Mast is one of europes largest transmitting towers that is still in operatian today, it transmits both terrestrial, and digital signals. It is in a location on the top of a hill, and is therefore, like Castle Hill (the fortress i mentioned earlier) Is visable for many miles away, it is estimated on a clear day it is viewable up to about 20 miles away.

The towers general history is pretty clear, It was originally built in 1956, and has been transmitting signals since some of the earliest beginnings of television. in 1964 it was replaced by a guyed tower. This tower later collapsed in a combination of icicles on the guy ropes, and heavy winds. THe tower was later rebuilt once more, and this is the structure that stands proud today.

I will attach images of the tower today at the end of the post.
I Am mainly asking if anyone could draw this for me, i have been learning coding, and i should be able to code it as a transmitter replacement myself. Indeed I hope i can code it myself.

Thanks for reading!

Images attached below.

and large res, so its a pretty big file.
Image 1 is the tower, seen in the distance
Image 2 is about the closest you can get to the tower, its of high quality, high res, and 2.5mb in size
Image 3 is Emley Moor Mast as seen from the village of Clayton West
Attachments
Emley-Mast-At-Sunset Cwest.JPG
(56.6 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Emley Moor Mast in the distance
Emley Moor Mast in the distance
emley_moor_mast.jpg (42.74 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
EmleyMoor.jpg
High Quality one
(2.38 MiB) Downloaded 199 times
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Massive diggage!

I remembered this about two hours ago, and on an off I've been havin' a go. :D

Sneak preview! (Somewhat unfinished, needs detail, stuff on ground, dithering etc.)
Attachments
emleymoor.PNG
emleymoor.PNG (15.1 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

texture?
its nice, but the pillar is too plain
there also seems to be a ring near the base in the picture
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

jonty-comp wrote:(Somewhat unfinished, needs detail, stuff on ground, dithering etc.)
:wink:
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Hey i can see that mast from my house!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Marshy wrote:Hey i can see that mast from my house!
Holy poop, so can I :o

(This proves the theory of it been seen miles away)

Jonty: Should look sweet when its gets its Texture :)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Coding this tower as a replacement for the transmission/communication tower doesn't seem very practical. One or two of them on a map may be appropriate, and in that sense I would indeed use it, however to have one of these at each large airport as well as on every hill the game decides to build one on would be a bit much.

This would be an ideal candidate for Oskar's newobjects. :wink:
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Updaaaate!

The red lights are meant to flash, as an aircraft warning system. I was lucky enough to be going past this thing (Well, 10 miles away) in a Voyager at night, and I could just make out its outline with the big red lights down the side. In real life only the top ones flash I think, but on this one they all do at the moment. If you think that should be changed, let me know! :D

And yes, it looks a little silly at the airport.
NewObjects!

And yes, I'm still planning on putting something at the bottom, a fence as minimum and some buildings if I can fit them in. ;)
Attachments
Better make sure the planes don't crash into THAT.
Better make sure the planes don't crash into THAT.
airportmassivetower.png (108.17 KiB) Viewed 3469 times
The only clipping error seems to be when you first view it, where the top quarter or so is chopped off.
The only clipping error seems to be when you first view it, where the top quarter or so is chopped off.
nicetower.png (13.89 KiB) Viewed 3471 times
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

jonty-comp wrote:Updaaaate!

The red lights are meant to flash, as an aircraft warning system. I was lucky enough to be going past this thing (Well, 10 miles away) in a Voyager at night
NewObjects!
The entire tower used to flash at one point i think, I think its currently just the top of it. I could be wrong. If I happen to go past it at night I will make note.

on a Lighter note, this would indeed look A LOT better as part of new objects. (So would that Fortress, come to think of it)
Last edited by Redirect Left on 03 May 2007 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Captain Kirk wrote:
jonty-comp wrote:Updaaaate!

The red lights are meant to flash, as an aircraft warning system. I was lucky enough to be going past this thing (Well, 10 miles away) in a Voyager at night
NewObjects!
The entire tower used to flash at one point i think, I think its currently just the top of it. I could be wrong. If I happen to go past it at night I will make note.

on a Lighter note, this would indeed look A LOT better as part of new objects. (So would my that Fortress, come to think of it)
Your Fortress?

However, I have to agree that you guys should probably wait until New Objects is started on before you look at getting this coded.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

WhiteHand wrote: Your Fortress?
Edited. Simply a wording error.
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Really shouldn't have made such a big deal of it, was in a particularly grouchy mood at the time ;)
PaulC
Director
Director

Re: [REQ] New Mast (Emley Moor Mast)

Post by PaulC »

Did this ever get coded? Not sure I'd want it at my airports, but I'd love to see it in the game. :)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re:

Post by wallyweb »

PaulC wrote:Did this ever get coded? Not sure I'd want it at my airports, but I'd love to see it in the game. :)
As far as I know, it has not been coded yet.
WhiteHand wrote: ... wait until New Objects is started on before you look at getting this coded.
I think New Objects is done now. eis_os would know for sure. This would make an excellent candidate to test the feature. 8)

Return to “Graphics Development”