BR Set [WIP][EXPERIENCED AND NEW ARTISTS WANTED!]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Should we split into Steam and Modern Sets to allow more comprehensive coverage of the Steam Era?

Yes
55%
No
38%
Other (Please State)
7%

Total votes: 92

Dave

Re: BR Set [WIP][EXPERIENCED AND NEW ARTISTS WANTED!]

Post by Dave »

Purno wrote:And, releasing half a set will get you halfway, while trying to get a full set released might get you nowhere.
As I said, there were mistakes made on all sides, and this was one of mine - in hindsight.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Beardie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Beardie »

Dave Worley wrote:Oh. And as an aside, do NOT rip off ANY graphics that may have been in this set in your new BROS without the EXPRESSED permission of the original author.
For all the graphics so far we have, i checked. No Problems then.
Previously Known As Beardie27
Check out my UPDATED! Screenshot Thread
Check out my Railway Photography and Deviant Account

audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

Dave, I've been looking at this myself and the main members of the BROS seem to genuinely want to follow copyright restrictions. There's been a few early misunderstandings, but things have been sorted when pointed out.

Whether it will remain the same when it comes to more contentious issues, I don't know - but for the moment it's on the right level.
Jon
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Beardie wrote:For all the graphics so far we have, i checked. No Problems then.
Well, I've just had to spend a while sorting out an issue. Just put what is yours up and if you don't at least ask and at the absolute very least credit the original artist. As for Doorslammer's 08s, well I'm pretty sure they are Ronstar's but can't confirm it so have left alone. The very fact it is being passed off as his work pure and simple narks me a bit.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Ammler wrote:I thought about suggesting the forum team to add a general license to the forum rules, so everything (except final binaries/grfs) posted here is automatically GPL.
The exception cannot work. All works derivative of a GPL work must themselves be GPL, unless the author of the work being derived from grants explicit permission otherwise.
orudge wrote:I don't believe there's any way that could legally work. An author has to release his or her work under a specific licence, I can't force one. I wouldn't want to force one, either.
Beyond that, though, I think it could work:

"Unless explicitly specified otherwise at time of posting, all graphics or code (including but not limited to: renders, pixel-painted sprites, NFO code and snippets, GRF files (NewGRF or base graphic), NoAI scripts and libraries, and patch/diff files) posted publicly on these forums after $DATE in a format that could be used in or by TTDPatch or OpenTTD while while still covered by the copyright of the original author are assumed to be licensed under the terms commonly summarized as 'GNU General Public License v2, or, at your option, any later version.'
"In layman's terms: Anything you post is GPL unless either (1) you say otherwise, or (2) in order to be useful it must be rewritten sufficiently that the license you were using no longer matters."
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Dave Worley wrote:Oh. And as an aside, do NOT rip off ANY graphics that may have been in this set in your new BROS without the EXPRESSED permission of the original author.
Dave, that would be illegal :) They're using the GPL. They won't get to do that. Nor do they want to, by the looks of it.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

Dalestan - they're taking it a step further from that; all work must be under the GPL or it will be removed.
Jon
csuke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by csuke »

Monaro Doorslammer wrote:Quote from dear leader csuke:
Ok. I have been reading the **** that has been posted recently and I've had enough, so here is my reply to most of the tripe that has been posted in the past few days.

<snip>

/Rant

IF you want changes made to this place, I am always listening, make them reasonable, well thought out and community agreed, then I will see what I can do, people throwing their toys around when they don't get their way does not.
What fun behind closed doors, folks.

Thankyou for showing everyone what a load of idiots you are, i couldn't have said it better myself.
One word of warning though, this may be a game forum, this may all be for fun, but i would learn the lesson that something said in private should remain in private before you get old enough to have to learn it the hard way in real life...

ps: when the heck did you decide i was leader?!?!?!?! lol
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

csuke wrote:
Monaro Doorslammer wrote:Quote from dear leader csuke:
Ok. I have been reading the **** that has been posted recently and I've had enough, so here is my reply to most of the tripe that has been posted in the past few days.

<snip>

/Rant

IF you want changes made to this place, I am always listening, make them reasonable, well thought out and community agreed, then I will see what I can do, people throwing their toys around when they don't get their way does not.
What fun behind closed doors, folks.

Thankyou for showing everyone what a load of idiots you are, i couldn't have said it better myself.
One word of warning though, this may be a game forum, this may all be for fun, but i would learn the lesson that something said in private should remain in private before you get old enough to have to learn it the hard way in real life...

ps: when the heck did you decide i was leader?!?!?!?! lol
There's that word again, "idiots". Very telling us usual gang of idiots are very much working better than ever now?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

csuke wrote:but i would learn the lesson that something said in private should remain in private before you get old enough to have to learn it the hard way in real life...
Actually, the lesson is "don't say anything in private that you wouldn't want repeated in public". In any case, I don't see what the problem is; everything you said sounds perfectly reasonable. :)
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Monaro Doorslammer wrote:There's that word again, "idiots". Very telling us usual gang of idiots are very much working better than ever now?
I have to agree with Doorslammer, more progress has been made in the last 3 days than the BRSet seemed to have made in a very long time.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

I have to disagree...

Okay, there's more activity in comments and so on, and people are starting to make updates so it looks like it's taking off;

However, most of the sprites posted so far were already in the BRset and just moved over; and I myself contributed more activity to the BRset in the week before BROS started than BROS has had itself - updating the 325, making the newer 220 and A3 and smaller updates to the 180; along with bits and pieces on several locos.

That's not to say it won't be more active, but there's not been any substantial contributions yet; a HST which needs work on shape and a 91 which has only just begun the repaint, along with an "it's getting there" mk1.

Too long, didn't read?
The new group is definately more active, but there's no reason to gloat about more being produced.
Jon
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Its not so much about gloating, and more about we are being called idiots for something which is actually producing more active results.

Return to “Graphics Development”