..,..,.,,./// Japan Set \\\.,,.,..,.. trains v1.3b released

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: ..,..,.,,./// Japan Set \\\.,,.,..,.. trains v1.3b released

Post by dandan »

I don't understand what this has to do with maglev graphics? We could add an option to replace Monorail instead of Maglev (in fact, we do have that option for TTDPatch, depending on the unifiedmaglev setting). The next version of the Japan Set might have some options to choose different track graphics, as well. Also, catenary over Shinkansen tracks is still not working in OpenTTD (there is a patch, though). The problem is that, as far as we know, a major change in the way OpenTTD handles different track types is likely to come sooner or later. We might have to wait for that before we can resolve all these issues to our satisfaction.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes. I wouldn't hold your breath for this sort of change, which would be of use only to a minority OF a minority, when there is so much work remaining on this set that directly benefits everybody. If someone wanted to draw the necessary graphics, I'll at least archive them though.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Chico008
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chico008 »

Does this set can carry cargo from George ECSVector ?
ordo i need some parameters to allow this ? (and in this case, which parameters should i put)

Thx
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

It's not finished, so it's not fully compatible with the ECS.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Animers
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Animers »

i wanna ask :

The shinkansen track looks great in that picture, but why in the patch the shinkansen track looks not like that?

are there any new patch?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Because that's not what Shinkansen tracks actually look like.

Personally I agree with you, I like those. But the current version is more realistic.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Is it possible to turn off the wagon limit for maglev trains? Thanks.
WX6
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WX6 »

Hi, great set you got here. I'm wondering though if it is possible to or if there already is, some way to use those unrealistic graphics for the Shinkansen tracks? If not can a separate .grf be made to override the realistic tracks.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Hmmm. I don't remember actually. The graphics themselves are still around, and they were coded in early test versions, but I think they've been overridded. I suppose someone would need to re-code them back in again as an option.
MizardX
Engineer
Engineer

Re:

Post by MizardX »

Sanchimaru wrote:In the meantime, gl2 has already sent me a new file. This one is really nice: it's a replacement for faces. The ones here are quite simple, but hey, we finally got what not even the most expert patch developers could do even with their mighty abilities! they who bended the original game to their will, and brought us so many new features, could not add a switch to have...
women! :mrgreen: I have to say that the original game artist had a very peculiar taste for girls. :roll:
Well, here you can have variety, try to create some of them until you find one you like.
Could you upload the Japanese Faces to BaNaNaS? Many of the other Japanese GRF's are already there. Thanks.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: ..,..,.,,./// Japan Set \\\.,,.,..,.. trains v1.3b relea

Post by Leanden »

Is there a hitachi a-train in this set?
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

I looked but none of the train numbers seem to match up, i wondered if the A-train was there under a different name :(
dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dandan »

The set contains the Thunderbird 683 Series EMU which is part of the A-Train series according to Wikipedia. There is no single train called "the A-Train" as far as I understand it.
Seph
Engineer
Engineer

Re: ..,..,.,,./// Japan Set .,,.,..,.. trains v1.3b release

Post by Seph »

It seems odd to me that the standard EMUs all only carry 50 passengers per wagon. It makes it very hard to use them seriously when thrying to replicate a metropolitan setting, since I end up having to use ridiculous train lengths, thereby getting miserable acceleration.

Just to give an example, when trying to reconstruct a Yamanote line train, which consists of 11 E231 series cars in the real world, I get a train with a capacity of 550 passengers, while JR specifies a capacity of 1752 passengers on their website. During peak hours, they regularly go to 210% capacity, giving us a total capacity of ~3,523 passengers, or ~320 passengers per car. Now, I'm not saying we necessarily need to set the capacity of the standard wide-body EMUs to 320 passengers(Though it would be realistic as a max-capacity), but I do find the disparity between 50 and 320 a bit too large to use the train in the game as it is used in the real world, instead finding that I have to use the Tokyo Metro EMU from the Metro NewGRF, which has a somewhat more appropriate max capacity of 120 passengers per car.

Could we maybe consider making it just a bit more realistic? It seems like the capacity has been set to somewhat match the seating capacity of a standard Japanese commuter EMU, but that's just not how they are used in the real world. There are way more people standing up in Tokyo's commuter trains than sitting.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Seph wrote:Could we maybe consider making it just a bit more realistic? It seems like the capacity has been set to somewhat match the seating capacity of a standard Japanese commuter EMU, but that's just not how they are used in the real world. There are way more people standing up in Tokyo's commuter trains than sitting.
I hope you have read the Read Me file. It's not there for nothing you know ;) http://www.as-st.com/ttd/japan/Japan_Tr ... parameters

P.s. I'm also for having larger capacities. Maybe we can do something about that in the future release. TIAS for instance has realistic capacities, but a limit of max. 8 or 12 cars (depending on the company used).
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Seph wrote:I end up having to use ridiculous train lengths, thereby getting miserable acceleration.
Huh? The whole point of EMUs is that, since all cars are powered, their acceleration is not affected by train length.
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: ..,..,.,,./// Japan Set \.,,.,..,.. trains v1.3b release

Post by stevenh »

Seph,

What version of the Japan Set are you running?
Seph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seph »

Toni Babelony wrote:
Seph wrote:Could we maybe consider making it just a bit more realistic? It seems like the capacity has been set to somewhat match the seating capacity of a standard Japanese commuter EMU, but that's just not how they are used in the real world. There are way more people standing up in Tokyo's commuter trains than sitting.
I hope you have read the Read Me file. It's not there for nothing you know ;) http://www.as-st.com/ttd/japan/Japan_Tr ... parameters

P.s. I'm also for having larger capacities. Maybe we can do something about that in the future release. TIAS for instance has realistic capacities, but a limit of max. 8 or 12 cars (depending on the company used).
I've read the readme, actually. Somehow I managed to miss the "capicities" section, so thanks for pointing it out. It's still quite far from realistic though. The Shinkansen and limited exxpress trains should have way lower capacity than the commuter line. Just having the option to make it 100% realistic would be nice, even though it wouldn't be a good default.
stevenh wrote:Seph,

What version of the Japan Set are you running?
v2.1a, the latest the game updates to.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Seph wrote:... make it 100% realistic...
Asking for something 100% realistic is unrealistic.
Train car capacity differs from car to car within one consist. Some cars have smaller capacity by having some space taken by bathrooms and such. Some consists may have first class, which have lower capacity than second class. When it comes to sleeper trains, there are even greater number of different capacities - private room, 2-stack or 3-stack beds, etc. Then there are issues of having diner cars or cafe cars. Lounge cars. Also, even in express/shinkansen trains, in non-reserved seating cars, there may be standing passengers. In vacation time in Japan, that's quite common to have those standing passengers in Shinkansen and other express trains.

Also, really, what do you call the 100% realistic capacity? The designed capacity? Or the physical capacity? When I was growing up in Japan, it was common to have Tokyo area trains with 200-300% capacity of riders. (It's been 20+ years since I left the country, so I don't know what the situation is nowadays...)

Return to “Graphics Development”