..,..,.,,./// Japan Set \\\.,,.,..,.. trains v1.3b released

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Hey guys. I'm looking for the Shinkhansen tracks. Can anyone post the .grf here?

That would be great.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

They are part the actual train set. You have to choose to replace monorail by electrified rail, rather than maglev, otherwise the wrong graphics will be shown and all your Shinkansens will run on TTD's default monorail track.

While we're at it, I wonder why a new Shinkansen tunnel was drawn. It does not fit the Temperate, Sub-Arctic or even the Japanese grass at all.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Got it now. Unifiedmaglev = 2 does the trick.

Thanks.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The next version hopefully will make the Shinkansen tracks appear regardless of what your unified maglev setting is. I know this is possible because Patchman said it was.

Concerning the Shinkansen tunnels, you are right, they do not match. They need to be redrawn. I thought Sanchimaru was going to fix that, are you?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

I'm not currently working on the tunnels: the new patch feature totally changed them, so I'll have to check out how to make the sprites look good in the game.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

You mean, they need to be redrawn, or recoded? Or both?
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

We need new tunnels, and they must be compatible with the track on tunnels patch feature.
So that will take time...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

But, it's on your to-do list? I don't think anyone else really understands what's required.
CmdKewin
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by CmdKewin »

I've just come back from holiday, and what did I found? My favourite Set has been updated! Great.

Now I just need a proper Japan scenario.

Anyone know where to find one?
"I'm an engineer!"
http://www.cmdkewin.net/ (Out of Order)

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Jim Powers was working on one, but it's holding for the new release of the Japanset buildings.
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Japan Set

Post by Transporter »

I played it with OTTD.

Why the Shinkansen isn't a normal train?

So there would not exist the problem with the tunnels, and it would have catenary!

And as far as I know in Japan was tested a maglev system, but here we miss because it is the Shinkansen...
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: ...,..,.,,./// Japan Set \\\.,,.,..,... trains v1.0 released

Post by Sanchimaru »

>Transporter: Welcome to the forums. I see that you joined 3 years ago, but you seem so familiar with them as any newcomer ?(
Transporter wrote:I played it with OTTD.
Why the Shinkansen isn't a normal train?
Because Shinkansens, despite being normal (just very fast) trains, run in sepparated tracks from regular units and trains. I'm sure you can find a lot of information about them in internet.
Transporter wrote:So there would not exist the problem with the tunnels, and it would have catenary!
This is the part where one can realize that you are not too familiar with forums, because:
  • you resurrected a 2 years old topic
  • to mention a matter already being discussed in a more recent topic
  • about a problem which was recently fixed (the catenary on shinkansen tracks)
  • and that topic is still in the first page of the Graphics section
Transporter wrote:And as far as I know in Japan was tested a maglev system, but here we miss because it is the Shinkansen...
It's much better with shinkansens as sepparated track type trains, since that's closer to reality. The track types in TT have been limited to 3 for a long time, and to waste one of them for a train that practically doesn't exist such as an experimental maglev would mean to have the shinkansen trains running along with other regular trains.
In other words: Shinkansen are cool and very famous and a lot people likes them. But nobody cares about an experimental vessel that nobody has really seen.
Even in the Spain set the same procedure was followed, putting TALGO and AVE trains on different tracks.
A new patch feature to have more track types was mentioned, but I don't know how did it result, or the progress of such feature for either the Patch or Open. If a new track type is allowed, we could have more monorails or other experimental vehicles, which would be indeed interesting additions for future train releases in the game. Until then we will stick to the real trains :wink:
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

about a problem which was recently fixed (the catenary on shinkansen tracks)
I have downloaded three days ago but there is no catenary but ugly tunnel entrances because of a graphic bug :(

But let me also say: I like the Japan graphics 8)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The distro website has not been updated with the newest versions, because it is still in testing. There are test GRFs in the development thread if you are antsy. Otherwise, we do expect a proper release to be posted very soon.
dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dandan »

At the moment, the catenary over Shinkansen tracks will only work in OpenTTD if you manually apply a patch by Stevenh found here. We hope that this feature will soon be included in the OpenTTD trunk at which point it will work with the nightly versions.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I have updated the public website

http://www.as-st.com/ttd/japan

with the most recent version of the Japanese Train Set, now available for public use. Sanchimaru, can you change this thread title to reflect v1.3b?

Please note that the long-awaited Japanese signals are in final testing and should be available before too long. We are also working on adding a significant number of additional trains to the set.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: ..,..,.,,./// Japan Set \\\.,,.,..,.. trains v1.3b released

Post by krtaylor »

I just want to say, I have been playing the Japanset in the Arctic, and those colorful Japanese trains just look gorgeous there! Also, the narrow-gauge design of the mainline trains works quite well in the mountains - in that the cars are small and relatively lightweight, so the multiheading works well. You can actually climb the mainline up into the mountains to connect the cities quite nicely, which is not something I usually do. Really appealing!
Emperor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Emperor »

Is possible to use maglev Shinkansen on the normal rail track? I prefer electrified rails for normal and high speed trains together.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

No, it's not. Literally, it isn't - in real life, Shinkansens and normal Japanese trains are a completely different gauge.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

well, there is an option...

if someone draw some maglev graphics, you could add it to the set, with a "if ttdpatch, skip theese sprites"-codeline, and then we open-guys can have maglev as well :)
Member of the
ImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”