new lighting for buildings

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aracirion
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aracirion »

I also tried some new variations.
Attachments
new setup: sun 0,6; Ambient 1,5
new setup: sun 0,6; Ambient 1,5
new B [0,6][1,5].png (50.85 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
new setup: sun 0,8; Ambient 1,25
new setup: sun 0,8; Ambient 1,25
new B [0,8][1,25].png (45.63 KiB) Viewed 6450 times
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

My Opinion...

1 - New A - Way to Bright
2 - New A Mod - Good Objects but the shaddow is too light relative
3 - New B 0.8 - 1.25 - Bit Heavy on the shaddowing
4 - New B 0.6 - 1.5 - My Favourite, Good contrast, and shadoows are suited to the the rest, yet you should be able to still see things on that side clearly.

So if theres any voting going on, i say 'new B [0,6][1,5].png'
Ben
Ichi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ichi »

I agree with Ben on this one!
Costas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Costas »

do we even know whether any of this will make any difference once textures are applied?

i like new B 6 1.5 too, that makes it 3 ppl so far!!
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Am I correct in assuming that you are using a pure white, ref=1.0 material for this?
It has to look good with darker material colours aswel.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Guess the next step is to provide that set with a veriaty of textures
Ben
Aracirion
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aracirion »

pure white ref=1, thats what I said. I attached the citibank building (rotated, thanx a lot Ichi) with new setup, plus the scene in case anybody wants to play around with it.

*** outdated attachment removed ***
Attachments
The citibannk building with 0,6/1,5
The citibannk building with 0,6/1,5
citibank B [0,6][1,5].jpg (107.8 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Last edited by Aracirion on 24 Jul 2006 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

Aracirion wrote:pure white ref=1, thats what I said. I attached the citibank building (rotated, thanx a lot Ichi) with new setup, plus the scene in case anybody wants to play around with it.
Miles better!!!!

Interesting to see what it would look like on other objects like trees and such..
Ichi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ichi »

it looks a lot better now!
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Dont wanna be a pain in the ass, but could you render it off with a plain beneath it, so i can see the shaddow on the ground, cuase i think thats quite inportant
Ben
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Looks good, now we need one of the park (from the start of the thread).
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

changing the AO effect is ugly without also changing the AO distance.

you will need to turn on distance, then try a few different settings and post them.

relying on that for lighting is very nasty, and i persoanlly never increase it above 1.

the original lighting setup needed a small amount of change, and perhaps a re-balancing of the light intensities angles and colours.

Alltaken
Aracirion
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aracirion »

there are the two images for Ben and dmh. Why is AO ugly? Cause its grainy? I'll have a look at distance tomorrow ....
Attachments
park with new lighting
park with new lighting
park B.png (55.73 KiB) Viewed 6349 times
citibank with shadow
citibank with shadow
citibank B [0,6][1,5] plane.jpg (143.26 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Costas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Costas »

omg the new light setup burnt the trees down, mb u need to pull the sun a bit further away...

ok totally useless post hehe

hmm the two images of the building are different, where did the reflection come on the left? (right wall of building)

EDIT (after bens post underneath) it looks good !
Last edited by Costas on 04 May 2006 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Its the reflection of the floor i think

<edit> Yeah, It does look really good now. Just playing round in paint with it, appling the extended shaddow bit to the previous image without the floor reflection. The park looks a lot better as well.

Maybe to check this lighting fully you should make a tester set with multiple colours sphers in (google earth loading screen style)

On what i was saying a bit ago about having shaddows going onto other tiles, and posibly checkering the graphic to allow part of the nieghbouring image threw, i tried it on this shaddow...the problem it is now lighter...this is what i got anyway.

Cheers for the image Aracirion
Attachments
test.bmp.rar
(470.79 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Ben
Costas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Costas »

i dont think shadows should go to other tiles, it will mess up it up completely, since the game is not 3d but rather 2d images.And everyone would want their building to be the one far right away from all the shadows...!
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

If there is a building in front then it would be ontop of the shaddow...it would just sit on top of the ground sprite, like a road piece
Ben
Costas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Costas »

how can u implement this? it sounds difficult, since the shadow is part of the 2d picture. Unless the rendered renders each tile starting from the right of the screen going to the left superimposing each tile on top of the shadow of the right (relative to the viewer).

plus most buildings use the full tile with graphix like roads, trees, swimmingpools, pavements, just like aracirions building. where will the shadow go?

I still think it is bad, since u r going to have shadows everywhere, messing up roads, vehicles, the nice parks someone painstakingly designed and made the lightning perfect etc etc.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Im not completly shore...or at all shore in fact how the rendering works...so i dunno...

Ive got a fealing it may look strange when shaddows end suddely, it may confuse the illusion of depth, and make a buildings height look contradictory to its shaddow..

<edit> I made up and example using some peoples work. (hope they dont mind) On the Park 'A' top the shaddow goes over the ground sprite, while at the base of park A, and on Park B, the shaddow just stops.

I guess its sounds like a petty matter, but i feal the top of this image appears to blend into a set rather than look like an array of seperate sprites.
Attachments
Shaddows.JPG
Shaddows.JPG (68.23 KiB) Viewed 764 times
Ben
Costas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Costas »

i agree with u that it looks better but thats on 2 tiles. if u do all the tiles with overlaping shadow, then the park will dissapear in the dark

edit: unless the ground does not have shadow at all, shadows r just on buildings

going by ur design, the red building should be in the shadow too. i know it looks good on the top part of the park, but put more buildings around it and the park is gone. MB u change the light and make the shado stay within the tile, ie sun is at high noon or dont make shadows on the tiles at all.

Return to “Graphics Development”