Combined American Signal Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

*bump*

New version, now including regular multple-light colour lights. Do you want to update the copies on the US Set site, kr?

Parameters are:

0 = None (default)
1 = US Semaphores, Searchlights
2 = US Semaphores, B&O CPLs
3 = Searchlights, Searchlights
4 = US Semaphores, Colour Lights
5 = Searchlights, Colour Lights

With a parameter for each climate (temp arc trop).
Last edited by PikkaBird on 30 Jun 2007 08:30, edited 2 times in total.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

OK. One question that may sound dumb, but I can't figure the answer myself: How do I get any signal set to override the ttdpbasew.grf file's signals. Running American/Canadian trains with German signals looks very, very funny. :P
Without Trains America Stops

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The same way you get any train set to override the default trains: Add it to newgrfw.cfg.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Been there. Tried that. If I put he US Signal set currently available on the US Set page below the ttdpbasew.grf, it does nothing, which is reasonable.

BUT

If I put it above the ttdpbasew.grf file, I get errors at game startup to the tune of the message that ttdpbasew.grf MUST be at the top. Please elaborate this for me.

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

1) Which GRF file is generating that message? TTDPatch is happy as long as ttdpbase[w].grf is present. Where, or even if, it appears in newgrf[w].cfg is immaterial.
2) What happens if you use only ttdpbasew and ussigz_w? If that works, some other grf is causing problems.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Railwaymodeler wrote:If I put he US Signal set currently available on the US Set page below the ttdpbasew.grf, it does nothing
Are you setting the parameters? It won't do anything if you don't set the parameters.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I will be glad to update the website with this file, and will do so no later than this weekend. Before I do, however, are there any changes that I should make to the readme, other than the dates and versions?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

krtaylor wrote:I will be glad to update the website with this file, and will do so no later than this weekend. Before I do, however, are there any changes that I should make to the readme, other than the dates and versions?
You need to add the extra two parameter values (4 and 5).
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Funny. Before the ttdpbasew.grf, I could use the US Signals from the US Set page without adding any paramaters. Now I do need to? That's probably what I'm doing wrong.

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, the newer version (with the different name) has a lot more stuff in there, so it needs the parameters.

However, I can see the concern. PikkaBird, would it be a huge job to slightly change the GRF, so as to give them something by default at least, if no parameters are set?
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

krtaylor wrote: .. to give them something by default at least, if no parameters are set ...
There should never be a parameter without a default value; too many players jump in very quickly without looking at the ReadMe; then we have to answer those questions. Making option 1 the default would be much better, than not having the signals show at all.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Or, possibly, an error message: "\80 is not set to replace signals in any climate."
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Railwaymodeler wrote:Funny. Before the ttdpbasew.grf, I could use the US Signals from the US Set page without adding any paramaters.
No, you couldn't actually. :? Odd.

Skipping the entire file and using the default if the parameter is unset or is 0 is actually my desired behaviour, but it's a good idea about having a warning message; I'll add that in tonight or tomorrow (busy busy day today :o).
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Regardless, I set the parameters after reading the readme file. Works just fine now. Thank you all.

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

A warning message is OK, but I think I'd prefer working default settings, if that's not too difficult. That way the whole thing is easier for newbies.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Oh, alright then.

If the parameters are undefined, it is now the same as a setting of 4 (semaphores / colour lights). Setting a parameter to 0 still makes the grf have no effect in that climate.

http://www.pikkarail.com/ttdp/grf/ussigz.grf
http://www.pikkarail.com/ttdp/grf/ussigzw.grf
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

any screeniez of the new'uns
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

there hasnt been anything new since the last release
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

PikkaBird should have wrote:4 = US Semaphores, TTD Lights
5 = Searchlights, TTD Lights
yes, no, yes?
or am i missing something more subtle
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

No, maybe you're missing that I've had some network troubles, and have not yet updated the US Set download page with the new version. It'll be taken care of today.

Return to “Graphics Development”