[OTTD] NARS Plus (Unofficial addon set)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

[OTTD] NARS Plus (Unofficial addon set)

Post by NekoMaster »

For the longest time theres been a lot of North American locomotives that I've wanted to play with but aren't included in NARS or US Train Set, so I've finally decided to start work on a un-official addon set for NARS v2, a addon set which I call NARS v2+

For now Im drawing everything I want to add by hand, unless anyone wants to give me the ok to use their graphics, or donates graphics to the set. Im mostly doing things like this because I don't want to anger the artists and have to deal with different licenses. For now this set is unlicensed and thus any graphics I draw can be used in other sets, with permission of coarse.

So, for now, heres a list of locomotives that will go into this add-on set.

Black = Not included yet
Red = Work in progress
Blue = Drawn, not coded
Green = Drawn and Coded

Acela HHP8
Alco FPA-4 (Diesel)
Altoona BP4 (Battery)
BBD Jet Train (Turbine)
Budd M-2 EMU (Electric)
EMD F40C (Diesel)
EMD F40PH-2 (Diesel) (Separate HEP Generator)
EMD F45 (Diesel)
EMD F59PH (Diesel) (First version built for GO Transit)
EMD FP45 (Diesel)
EMD FP7 (Diesel)
EMD FP9 (Diesel)
EMD GP7 (Diesel)
EMD GP9M (Diesel)
EMD SD22ECO (Diesel-Eco)
EMD SD32ECO (Diesel-Eco)
EMD SD7 (Diesel)
EMD SD70MAC (Diesel)
EMD SD75i (Diesel)
EMD SD80MAC (Diesel)
EMD SD9M (Diesel)
EMD SDP40F (Diesel)
FM Eire-Built (Diesel)
GE AC6000CW (Diesel)
GE E33 (Electric)
GE E44 (Electric)
GE EP-5 (Electric)
GE P30CH (Diesel)
GE P40DC (Diesel)
KM ML4000 (Diesel)
MPI MP36PH-3C (Diesel)
MPI MP40PH-3C (Diesel)

PR PR30C (Diesel-Eco)
PR PR43C (Diesel-Eco)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] NARS Plus (Unofficial addon set)

Post by Purno »

I don't know if the 2ccSet contains something you could use?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Use the GPL v2 or v3 (or dual licensed to both). Unlicensed is a nonsense, and just causes all kinds of trouble.

If you really don't want to use GPL, consider using the WTFPL and also publicly release all the sources that you have copyright under the same license. http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/ (releasing the sources means they can be reused in GPL projects)

EDIT - but IMHO if you use WTFPL you'll need *all* your contributors to also choose WTFPL.
Last edited by andythenorth on 02 Mar 2012 12:45, edited 3 times in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Purno wrote:I don't know if the 2ccSet contains something you could use?
If he wants to do that (probably a good idea) he would need to either use 2ccTS' license - which is GPL - or go and find out:
- the artist of each sprite and everyone who touched that file ever since
- the coders of the set which aligned that train and possibly created the alignment templates
and get conset of each and every single of those people to use another license.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

planetmaker wrote:
Purno wrote:I don't know if the 2ccSet contains something you could use?
If he wants to do that (probably a good idea) he would need to either use 2ccTS' license - which is GPL - or go and find out:
- the artist of each sprite and everyone who touched that file ever since
- the coders of the set which aligned that train and possibly created the alignment templates
and get conset of each and every single of those people to use another license.
Why do licenses keep haunting me? I'm only trying to help the guy here. Would be a shame if work would get done twice. As far as I know GPL is free enough to let people use my sprites (wasn't that your* whole reason to convince me to switch from CC-BY-NC to GPL?)

*you and a few others
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Purno wrote:As far as I know GPL is free enough to let people use my sprites
Only if they also use the GPL. Meaning if they modify your work...other people are then free to use that.

If everyone who wanted to collaborate on newgrfs just used GPL and stopped dicking around licensing would be a non-issue and you wouldn't have to worry about it ever ever :D

(And those who don't want to collaborate - do what they like of course)

You can offer your sprites to Neko aside from GPL though - dual licensed...up to you ;)
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I was thinking that NARS could use a revamp, but it's probably not going to be for awhile.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

As for the license stuff, I dont want to get bogged down with legal stuff so that's why Im just going about my buisness as is for now. This is also why I'm drawing what I can unless someone donates "baggage free" art, which means I won't have to adhere to any strict licensing rules. So far though I think that I'd be OK with anything under GPL. Its not that I dont like giving credit (which I do, in case anyone was wondering) but its just so I dont have angry artists filling my inbox with complaints and death threats, as well as lawyers knocking at my door.

ANYWAYS

So far, I'm starting with some of the earlier diesel locomotives. So far I've drawn up the AGEIR-Boxcab (Called the "Alco Boxcab" in my set), and the GE 70-Ton switcher. At the moment though I can't draw small things like the 44-ton because GRF Maker doesnt know how to properly code anything smaller then the normal 28px long vehicles.

And yes, NARS could use a revamp, but for now Ill continue doing my work here. Though if anyone want's to use my sprites I don't mind so long as Im notified and credited.

EDIT : heres the sprite sheet and a screen shot of the Boxcab and the 70-tonner
Attachments
NARS+_preview sheet.png
NARS+_preview sheet.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 9424 times
Picture-001.png
Picture-001.png (138.02 KiB) Viewed 443 times
Last edited by NekoMaster on 02 Mar 2012 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

NekoMaster wrote:GRF Maker doesnt know how to properly code anything smaller then the normal 28px long vehicles.
Yes it do.
Attachments
shortening.PNG
shortening.PNG (7.34 KiB) Viewed 9425 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I've tried that vehicle shortening thing, it doesnt really work well with really small things like a 44-ton or a Alco S-2. What Im talking about is there will still be a huge gap between the locomotive and the cars, even when on the rail (so its not just a vehicle list thing)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

You may want to avoid using grfmaker. It prevents you from doing anything fancy.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

FooBar wrote:You may want to avoid using grfmaker. It prevents you from doing anything fancy.
I don't know how to code in NFO or NML and both are a little hard to comprehend for me. It may be a while till I try coding by hand.

For now GRF Maker does what I need it to do, put locomotives in the game. The only fancy thing I'd want to do is articulated stuff (like a steam locomotives tender, or a articulated diesel locomotive, or a Turbine locomotive with its oil tenders).

Maybe in the future I'll get some sounds for the engines
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

NekoMaster wrote:its just so I dont have angry artists filling my inbox with complaints and death threats, as well as lawyers knocking at my door
The GPL protects you from that (as long as you comply with it, which isn't hard). "No license" means there's no agreement between you and anyone else who contributes, which means if they change their mind they can fill your inbox with pointless drama. Which is kind of stupid, because it's just tiny pixels in a free game, but there you go, that's folk :)

Really, just use the GPL, it basically means the following:
- make sure you have the right to use stuff
- always get the sources when available
- always ship a licence.txt with the project

Then there's no further hassles.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I'll probably end up going with GPL.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

NekoMaster wrote:I've tried that vehicle shortening thing, it doesnt really work well with really small things like a 44-ton or a Alco S-2. What Im talking about is there will still be a huge gap between the locomotive and the cars, even when on the rail (so its not just a vehicle list thing)
It worked well for me?? You just have to remember that you can only shorten by 12.5% steps, which means that some sizes are close couple, some are very loose. Se the picture (by MB?):
Attachments
SpriteSizes.png
SpriteSizes.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 443 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

andythenorth wrote: Really, just use the GPL, it basically means the following:
- make sure you have the right to use stuff
- always get the sources when available
- always ship a licence.txt with the project
- you have the right to use and modify other stuff which is already released under the GPL
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

AndersI wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:I've tried that vehicle shortening thing, it doesnt really work well with really small things like a 44-ton or a Alco S-2. What Im talking about is there will still be a huge gap between the locomotive and the cars, even when on the rail (so its not just a vehicle list thing)
It worked well for me?? You just have to remember that you can only shorten by 12.5% steps, which means that some sizes are close couple, some are very loose. Se the picture (by MB?):
I know that you can shorten things in GRF maker, as well as the smaller vehicle graphics, but I never got GRF maker to code small locomotives very well. Anything smaller then a Alco RS-3 would end up with a big gap between the locomotive and the first car or the 2nd locomotive, with the couplers not even touching.

Normal
[Locomotive][Locomotive][Car][Car][Car]

Short Locomotive
[Loco][GAP][Loco][GAP][Car][Car][Car]
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

NekoMaster wrote:
AndersI wrote:which means that some sizes are close couple, some are very loose
Anything smaller then a Alco RS-3 would end up with a big gap between the locomotive and the first car or the 2nd locomotive, with the couplers not even touching.
What length in pixels are we talking about? Testing on OTTD or TTDP? I think TTDP has bugs when the shortening goes 'too far' (too far for TTDP, that is).
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

NekoMaster wrote:Short Locomotive
[Loco][GAP][Loco][GAP][Car][Car][Car]
In the past, and probably still in TTDPatch, it was not possible to shorten the first vehicle of a train. This limitation has since been lifted in OpenTTD, see http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Ac ... s_.2821.29

I suspect that grfmaker adheres to this specification, and doesn't allow to shorten engines. Or at least that would explain the behaviour you're seeing.

Return to “Graphics Development”