New airports

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

New airports

Post by PikkaBird »

I know, I know... a lot of patch work, not likely to happen any time soon.

4x4 Airport (either a new "medium" class, or a direct replacement for the small airport). Two terminal spaces, taxiways seperated from the runway.

ImageImageImage
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Woah, nice Pikka! Can we start fundraising to bribe a patch into making these lovely things useful?
RSpeed tycoonfreak
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RSpeed tycoonfreak »

These airports look buitiful!!!
I wish i could draw such things!!
Last edited by RSpeed tycoonfreak on 11 Mar 2006 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Visit The Fake Airport Website
Hobbys: being 18 years old, soccer, go karting, and transport tycoon.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Awesome! Look at the details! Great! :D
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

...or perhaps adapted somehow into the current size. I think that the original size of the small airport is good and differs in a sufficient way from the large one.

But that's a matter of opinions I believe! :wink: Nevertheless, a very good work of art! :D
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

SAC wrote:...or perhaps adapted somehow into the current size. I think that the original size of the small airport is good and differs in a sufficient way from the large one.
Well, I've already made a more modern looking 3x4 airport (as have a few people). 4x4 is still a lot smaller than 6x6 (and if we do get newairports, remember, the standard "large" airport could end up bigger as well).

With the planeset and other new aircraft, small airports are staying useful much later in the game, but it only takes 2 or 3 planes before you start having traffic jams; they really are very inefficient since only one aircraft can be moving on the ground or landing at a time.

4x4 is the smallest airport which has room for a seperate taxiway, unless you're happy to have planes driving through each other, or for there to be no terminal buildings.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

It would be very inie to have a small, medium and large airport in TTD but I think the basic requirement is the same for any new airport design at all: have TTD accept it. So I think it's nice to dream on (and I do dream of better airports too) but we should be realistic and pray for a newairports switch.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Wow :shock:

Nice work Pikka. I was thinking that you must be cooking up something with airplanes or so. Hence the Caravelle in your Avatar :?:

*me wonders whats coming next*

these new airports look great. Look they could finally be usefull as a small airport...

I'm willing in participating in the bribery. :wink:
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

I wouldnt mind chip in as well. Perhaps some airports like in OTTD could arise here as well...?
Sonicelo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sonicelo »

that would be great.. international airport :)
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

PikkaBird wrote:
SAC wrote:...or perhaps adapted somehow into the current size. I think that the original size of the small airport is good and differs in a sufficient way from the large one.
Well, I've already made a more modern looking 3x4 airport (as have a few people). 4x4 is still a lot smaller than 6x6 (and if we do get newairports, remember, the standard "large" airport could end up bigger as well).

With the planeset and other new aircraft, small airports are staying useful much later in the game, but it only takes 2 or 3 planes before you start having traffic jams; they really are very inefficient since only one aircraft can be moving on the ground or landing at a time.

4x4 is the smallest airport which has room for a seperate taxiway, unless you're happy to have planes driving through each other, or for there to be no terminal buildings.
True! But if we get the ability to use a third airport, (as in your excellent 4x4 example), why not then turn the small one into a "private airfield" for private aircrafts and helicopters? I think that would give the small airport a completely new purpose, serving small villages and so on.

Just my two cents! :P
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

Don't worry, you ll have a new small airport with ttrs-v3 :wink:
Attachments
Untitled - 1.jpg
Untitled - 1.jpg (69.4 KiB) Viewed 6783 times
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Very nice too :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Zimmlock wrote:Don't worry, you ll have a new small airport with ttrs-v3 :wink:
Ohh...that is one cool airport! :P

Damn, there goes my idea about a private airport and helicopter base! :mrgreen:

Perhaps the depot could get a facelift as well... :)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Is the airport-recoding research project still under way? Or has it completely stalled?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

krtaylor wrote:Is the airport-recoding research project still under way? Or has it completely stalled?
I think "the" airport-recoding research project is dead and buried.

People are looking at this, but don't hold your breath. :)
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

the thing holding supper tycoon back was learnig assembler. thats what i remember.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Super Tycoon's airport 'reseach and development' project died pretty early on from what I heard.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

Zimmlock wrote:Don't worry, you ll have a new small airport with ttrs-v3 :wink:
Not to offend, since the airport looks great, but the runway is really horrible. It just looks like another piece of tarmac. How are pilots supposed to know it's the runway?

"You are cleared to land Runway 09"
"Roger, cleared to land"
"Oh, s***! I don't see a runway!"
*BOOM*
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Horrible? Looks fine to me Zimmlock! Also looking fine are yours Pikka. I like using planes for certain things myself, so I'd love to see these.

Return to “Graphics Development”