Red*Stars modern train station set [beta released]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

:shock:
Code. This. Now. :lol:
Got plans to do any more? ;)
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

for the rounded ends problem you could put a mail wagon at the front to move the pax wagons further back.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Some different question, could you make a tutorial how you do such a thing it in PhotoShop? I think it would nice for other pixel pusher (includeing myself)

PS: If there is a grf I will try to do my best to make the stop-point moveable on the last tile. I can't say if it's possible but well I can atleast try it...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

eis_os wrote:Some different question, could you make a tutorial how you do such a thing it in PhotoShop? I think it would nice for other pixel pusher (includeing myself)
Do you man converting truecolour image to 8bit or what?
Image Image Image Image
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

No, makeing the reflections in the window :) And I like the darker blueish window better
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Ever played Unreal Tournament? ;)

Post by Purno »

Red*Star wrote:Incooomiiiiiing....

I would say final, what would you say?

Hmm... this looks AWESOME!!!

But, could you add some passengers to it? It's a bit dead now.

But still great work!
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Holy COW! :shock:

That is amazing Red*Star! I think we need to hand this over to someone like Aegir and get it coded! I wanna play with it now! :D

Also, got any plans to do more? I hope so! :wink:

James
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
marek.sk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by marek.sk »

Wonderful station. Excelent work, Red*Star! Image

I would prefer the first window glass look myself. I find the final version windows too bright and not as good as the previous version.

The rounded platforms ends are no problem, passengers should get in or out of coaches, not engine.
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

I tend to agree that the windows are a bit bright. Also the station looks a bit dead, bit that can be fixed easily. Perhaps you can draw a couple of versions with no, a few and a lot people on it. I have seen that in the game as well as more passengers flock to the station the fuller a station gets visibly.. i dont know how it works though.

Keep up the good work! Love the station!
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Ok, one by one :):

Sanchimaru wrote:Looks really fine, Redstar! I would like to have it fully customizable with station parts too :))
After a first test with the whole thing I will step by step add all 1x1 resp. 2x2 sprite variations that are possible. (When I have figured out an effective way for doing this.)

Prof. Frink wrote:Loughborough station is significantly shorter than an IC125 or long Meridian, inevitably resulting in a long walk down the train.
That would be never possible in germany, I think. We have so many regulations and "safety rules" that even if a train is fully overcrowded the DB would never add more wagons because then it wouldn't longer fit with the platform length in small stations. I would say "typically german" - *otz otz otz*.

Lakie wrote:Looks awsome, just one thing, are you going to code that, or is someone else going to have to? :P
~ Lakie
I now want to learn coding since I started drawing gfx for OTTD/TTDPatch (that was end of the last year), but until now I haven't.

stevenh wrote:But is it totally TTD-Palette compatible? It looks too good!
Take a look at my last posts:
Red*Star wrote:And because PS has very good algorithms for downsampling 32bpp / 24bpp to 8bpp palette-images even with predefined palettes, it's no problem to convert the stuff to TTD format.
White Rabbit wrote::shock:
But, hm, what exactly will the station components be? Or will all stations look like that?
I'm still overthinking this point.

eis_os wrote:Some different question, could you make a tutorial how you do such a thing it in PhotoShop? I think it would nice for other pixel pusher (includeing myself)

PS: If there is a grf I will try to do my best to make the stop-point moveable on the last tile. I can't say if it's possible but well I can atleast try it...
Because I've stretched the platform and moved the rounded ends, the platform-ending-issue does now only apply to MUs like the ICE3. And until the coding question is answered, you can just use "normal" cornered station endings.

eis_os wrote:No, makeing the reflections in the window :) And I like the darker blueish window better
marek.sk wrote:I would prefer the first window glass look myself. I find the final version windows too bright and not as good as the previous version.
I can make both: One with the old, dark colors and one with the bright ones, if more people want both versions.

Purno wrote:But, could you add some passengers to it? It's a bit dead now.
Caelan wrote:I tend to agree that the windows are a bit bright. Also the station looks a bit dead, bit that can be fixed easily. Perhaps you can draw a couple of versions with no, a few and a lot people on it. I have seen that in the game as well as more passengers flock to the station the fuller a station gets visibly.. i dont know how it works though.
Keep up the good work! Love the station!
You are to spoilt by Michael Bluncks stations :D. In original TTD there also aren't any passengers on the platforms ;). However, as in Dinner for One: "I will do my very best...". Studied the coding sites in the wiki yesterday, and understood a /very/ little bit of it :D.

@ProfFrink and jamesvassie:
Oh, I plan to do more sprites, but not only stations, and probably not soooo much in the near future, sorry for that. (I would like to do so /very much/, but my timetable is unfortunately overcrowded... No, wait, I don't really have a timetable, but although it seems my time is running me away... :( ).

And about the tutorial, eis_os: If you just want to know how to make reflections, that is more a question of physics, not of Photoshop ;). If you want to hand-draw reflections, for instance, you also need to know how light is reflected and how it /looks like/. An example see attached image. For more, just watch your environment attentively ;).
Attachments
mirror.png
mirror.png (7.4 KiB) Viewed 7069 times
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

eis_os wrote:PS: If there is a grf I will try to do my best to make the stop-point moveable on the last tile. I can't say if it's possible but well I can atleast try it...
http://tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=22836 ! :D
/me has been wanting this for a while
Plllllleeeeeaaaaassssseeee let it be possible! :]
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

So I guess you drawed the reflection by hand, well a coder is to lazy for doing stuff by hand (*), I thought you copied the near ground, stretch it and applied some filters. A usally way a dev would do such stuff, to let the app do the most work :D

* Or there are special reasons like TTDPatch & assembler
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Sorry, I can't follow you *g*.

This is the way I "implemented" the reflection ;):
Attachments
reflexion.png
reflexion.png (12.91 KiB) Viewed 6996 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I just noticed something
Attachments
naamloos.PNG
naamloos.PNG (8.68 KiB) Viewed 6969 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

I know that. It's dark IN the brick cuboid because IN it there is the staircase to the skyway (if they where not there, the skywalk would be useless, wouldn't it? ;) ).

And because I want the station also in the "mirrored" form in the game I made very less lighting until yet at all, except the roof of the hall, maybe that would explain your confusion.

Apart from that: Added some more small details, cleaned up a little bit, made the skyways on the platforms repeatable (so u can make them as long as /you/ want ;) ), added an underground car park entrance (select the direction you like most ;) ), added the skywalk for the connection with Zimmlocks (?) airport and... erm, yes, integrated the old windows again, so I can easy switch between the light and the dark versions.

Please note: I'm N/A until Tuesday, maybe longer. Probably I can still visit the forums, but expect no gfx from me in that period of time.

Have a nice evening/morning/dependingontimezonewhateveryouhavenow-ing :roll: .
Attachments
airportmockup2.png
airportmockup2.png (22.18 KiB) Viewed 6930 times
stationversion4.png
stationversion4.png (51.89 KiB) Viewed 6933 times
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Impressive...I bet the airport would look good even if it was placed directly next to the station.

And I trust that the fountain will be animated? ;)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

The TTD pallette does the animations on its own, so if he used the sea colours, it should be.
CPCNMAN007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by CPCNMAN007 »

Red*Star wrote:I know that. It's dark IN the brick cuboid because IN it there is the staircase to the skyway (if they where not there, the skywalk would be useless, wouldn't it? ;) ).

And because I want the station also in the "mirrored" form in the game I made very less lighting until yet at all, except the roof of the hall, maybe that would explain your confusion.

Apart from that: Added some more small details, cleaned up a little bit, made the skyways on the platforms repeatable (so u can make them as long as /you/ want ;) ), added an underground car park entrance (select the direction you like most ;) ), added the skywalk for the connection with Zimmlocks (?) airport and... erm, yes, integrated the old windows again, so I can easy switch between the light and the dark versions.

Please note: I'm N/A until Tuesday, maybe longer. Probably I can still visit the forums, but expect no gfx from me in that period of time.

Have a nice evening/morning/dependingontimezonewhateveryouhavenow-ing :roll: .
Nice station
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

That station is beutifull! :D
I can't wait to see the final version! :D
CPCNMAN007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by CPCNMAN007 »

that when it 100% complete that graphic :?:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage