UK Renewal Set - v3 1st of August 2006

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

White Rabbit wrote:Funny...sometimes train engines are placed facing the wrong way. They'll still haul the train, but it just looks odd. How do you change the direction they face?
i thought that was a feature, not a bug. :roll:
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

It is a feature. Tank engines are bi-directional :D
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

I think they look much better facing backwards, to be honest.
Altern8or
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Altern8or »

Great set ! I particularly like the new industry feature which makes it a bit more of a challenge keeping the right quantities of supplies going in.

Keep up the good work.
khamura
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by khamura »

A small bug: the station building window still reports Livestock and Steel as accepted cargoes when built near a Brewery.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

khamura wrote:A small bug: the station building window still reports Livestock and Steel as accepted cargoes when built near a Brewery.
Yep, I broke the brewery tiles' acceptances in the original rerelease (I changed which tile's properties they copied, but forgot to remove the second and third cargos). If you download the industry grf again they should be fixed, along with a couple of other new changes;

* oil wells will not start their downward spiral until 1950.
* fuel depots will not close down.
khamura
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by khamura »

Righto! Off to update. :D
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Heh, I was browsing the UK Renewal set pages right this minute, and found that the Industry section disappeared after a refresh and that the download link was gone. :shock: Before you start to upload the new version Pikkabird, can I ask how oil wells you fund will work? Will they close down/reduce production less often, or not necessarily at all, than the ones you get when the game starts? It's just a pity that there are oil refineries and depots waiting for for delivery when the Temperate oil wells are so unreliable.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

That is why you have to race for the oil wells at 1921, and use them until about 1950 when they should start declining in production, then abondon those that go below 90,000 litres a month, and keep those that are at 90,000 litres or more. Or simply, move oil to the field of truck transportation.

I however as much as a railnut i am, i load the oil wagons at the oil field with a shunter, then shunt the wagons to a nearest depot, call the next freight train that would go by in the depot, attach wagons, wait until the train gets to a depot near a oil refinery where there is a shunter waiting, attach wagons to shunter and then drop the oil at the oil refinery.

And then again, i just wait for the next freight train that would take them back to the other shunter to load oil in them again.

or sometimes if theres A LOT of industries near the oil well wich produce low quantities, i scrap together a freight train from them with shunters, and then take the freight to the industries the freight belongs to in 1 long freight train.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

White Rabbit wrote:Heh, I was browsing the UK Renewal set pages right this minute, and found that the Industry section disappeared after a refresh and that the download link was gone. :shock:
They're there. I didn't change the pages at all. :?
can I ask how oil wells you fund will work?
The original TTD behaviour is that oil wells in temperate never increase production. That's all very well when the game starts in 1950 and oil rigs start appearing in 1960, but with TTDP games potentially starting in 1921, it means all the land-based oil reserves are usually gone long before the rigs appear. So I modfied the oil wells to keep production steady (actually, to use "normal primary industry behaviour", but I'm not sure it's working correctly) until 1950, and then only decrease production from then on.

Oil wells funded after 1950 will never increase production, only decrease.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Oops...

The update which added the maglevs removed the EE '10000' - that has now been fixed.
MegaStationMan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MegaStationMan »

Im really enjoying this new set atm. Was a challenge to start off with, as short routes with trains end up only just making a profit, or making a massive loss (had to cheat to remove my loan else I went bankrupt), but Ive now got it sussed and making £500k/year profit in 1945 (started 1921) before construction costs.

One issue I have: could you make it an option to remove the train steam noises. I like the whilstens and things for tunnel/leaving. Its starting to bug me a bit. Maybe make it a bitswitch? or have I missed something?

Another Idea I had that has probably been mentioned a million times and been told impossible, as you can now stockpile, would there be a way you could have no electrified rails until you power a power station, and maybe no deisels until you take oil to a refinerary, or at least, make the running costs cheaper (dont have to import it from abroad), then maybe have to store it at your own fuel store, and gets used as your trains run?

Please dont flame me!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

MegaStationMan wrote:One issue I have: could you make it an option to remove the train steam noises. I like the whilstens and things for tunnel/leaving. Its starting to bug me a bit. Maybe make it a bitswitch? or have I missed something?
You've missed something. Set the first grf parameter to 1 (ie, in your newgrf.txt, put newgrf/pb_ukrs.grf 1).
Another Idea I had
With the current state of TTDP, I imagine it is almost possible to make trains grind to a halt based on industry supply levels. However, I don't think it's worth doing - in fact I think it would be terribly annoying, particularly for those who want to provide primarily passenger services.
MegaStationMan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MegaStationMan »

PikkaBird wrote:
MegaStationMan wrote:One issue I have: could you make it an option to remove the train steam noises. I like the whilstens and things for tunnel/leaving. Its starting to bug me a bit. Maybe make it a bitswitch? or have I missed something?
You've missed something. Set the first grf parameter to 1 (ie, in your newgrf.txt, put newgrf/pb_ukrs.grf 1).
No, that didnt work.. All trains still go "chuff chuff", and I want it to go away :)

Is there a list somewhere of all the bit switches?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

It should work, but I think I missed the 2-6-4 tank engine when I was setting it up.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Train companies in real life do not provide their own electricity or fuel. They just buy electricity off the National Grid or fuel at their local Esso (well, not quite, but you know what I'm talking about ;)). Just because all the power stations and fuel depots in the map are not working doesn't mean the whole COUNTRY has stopped producing electricity and fuel. It is assumed that the prices of fuel and electricity are covered in the train running costs.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

pikka are you going to make this set compatable with auto renew
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

It is compatible with auto renew, everything is compatible with auto renew.

If you mean auto replace, it should work for the AI (ttdp bugs notwithstanding), but not a human player.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

yeah autoreplace i meant. So its bugs in the code behind the nfo.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sorry to bring this mother of a topic up from the past, but I heard rumblings of Pikka working on other transport types - namely vehicles... I really can't remember where I heard it.

Just wondered if there was any truth to it. Or maybe Davey is dreaming?

Possibly...
Dave

EDIT: Here's where I saw it... it may just be Khamura mistaking the rail/road thing... Unsure...

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=23936
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “Graphics Development”