Canadian Stations Set: Updated 21/01/08 - v0.3d RELEASED!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

wow, cool. when will these become available for download? which climates will be covered?
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Wow, awesome stuff OzTransLtd!

James
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

First release should be available quite soon (two weeks-three weeks at the most). It'll work in the temperate and arctic climates, and should have 8 stations, plus a goods shed, and a few platform options.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

astath wrote:... when will these become available for download?
... when it's finished, I guess. But I believe by the end of the week it should be teaser-grade with fully configurable platforms (fences, lights, benches, crosswalks and buffers) and 6 station buildings (if I don't receive anymore).
...which climates will be covered?
ATM, it is temperate and arctic; with the snowy versions available (automatic) above the snowline both in temperate and arctic.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

OzTransLtd wrote:ATM, it is temperate and arctic; with the snowy versions available (automatic) above the snowline both in temperate and arctic.
does that exclude MB's Alpine climate? or is that a really dumb question? (which is imaginable by the way :wink: )
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Nice! Looking good man. I can't wait to use these :D

Love that freight shed lifeblood.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

astath wrote: ... does that exclude MB's Alpine climate? ...
I don't know. I have never really understood why having temperate tiles in arctic.

As far as the Canadian station set and snow vs no-snow goes. Whether you get the snowy version or not depends on the snowline height alone. It has nothing to do with other sets (building, train, landscape etc). The default levels are : temperate - no snow and arctic - level 7.

Playing with the CanSet, you can set that level to any height in both temperate and arctic. With other sets you can use the Snowline.grf (I think that's its name).
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

and another station done ... the Goods Shed ...
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Awesome :).
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Building is very nice, but it is not very wide. Why not to put it between platfors as in MB's new stations?
Image Image Image Image
khamura
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by khamura »

These look great! I'm itching for stations that correctly display above the snowline. :D

A question though, is it planned to introduce indicators for waiting cargo, as per MB's pax stations or Sanchimaru's container freight harbor?
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

George wrote:Building is very nice, but it is not very wide. Why not to put it between platfors as in MB's new stations?
Station buildings occupy their own tile(s) and that is deliberate. You could of course put the station building in the middle, if you want; in fact they can be placed anywhere you like.
khamura wrote: ... is it planned to introduce indicators for waiting cargo, as per MB's pax stations or Sanchimaru's container freight harbor ?
We are going to experiment with 'something', that would look very interesting.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

OzTransLtd wrote:
George wrote:Building is very nice, but it is not very wide. Why not to put it between platfors as in MB's new stations?
Station buildings occupy their own tile(s) and that is deliberate. You could of course put the station building in the middle, if you want; in fact they can be placed anywhere you like.
It is a space wasting! What’s the profit of doing it? Look at your screenshot, there is lots of free space in front and behind the building.
Image Image Image Image
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

George wrote:
OzTransLtd wrote:
It is a space wasting! What’s the profit of doing it? Look at your screenshot, there is lots of free space in front and behind the building.
I agree with George, the beauty of MB's stations is that they embed everything (rails and buildings) in a very compact space. This is very convenient when there is little available space, as it is the case in large towns.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I disagree. Yes, tracks in front and behind the stations are nice in some respects, but personally, I'd like to be able to dictate if my building goes beside of between the tracks.

The freight station especially should have its own tiles, as these buildings were large and had A LOT of space around them.

Maybe a few of the smaller passenger stations could have tracks in front and behind, but I find myself using MB's "non-track" stations as much, if not more than the "tracked" stations. The station building can sit next to a road, only requiring the removal of 2 buildings, instead of demolishing half a town to put in a decent looking station

We'll see after the release.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I like using the free-standing station buildings for a more sophisticated version of the old "station-walking" technique. 8)
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Furthermore, I chose to only have stations as tiles, not between the tracks, as this is very much the way Canadian stations were built. Wide platforms are a standard here. Space constraints were never an issue, the railway company would simply destroy city blocks to build stations, as CN did with Gare Centrale in Montreal. When I find a Canadian station that was built between tracks, I'll be sure to draw it and include it in the set.

I suppose this can be seen as a challenge as well; when you play with the Canadian Stations Set you're going to have to be more selective with where you place your stations.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Since MB added free standing station buildings to his station set, I've been using them almost every single time instead of the 'between the tracks' version, for one, not all of my stations are going to be dual line right at first, I might have a larger freight station with a single passenger line shooting off the side.

Keep the free standing buildings, in my oppinion. Much more versatile.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

and i agree on that. although the option of having some inbetween tracks as well isn't a bad thing, obviously.

OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

George wrote:It is a space wasting! What’s the profit of doing it? Look at your screenshot, there is lots of free space in front and behind the building.
I fully agree; but you don't have to have a station building, if you haven't got the room to put it. Those station buildings are voluntary and are not necessary for the station to function, they are for looks, although they will extend your coverage area. BTW there is 1 station (Locust Hill), that fits on a tile together with the track, and you choose the location of the building.
krtaylor wrote:I like using the free-standing station buildings for a more sophisticated version of the old "station-walking" technique.
Very good point, I'd rather have one of those nice looking station buildings to extend my coverage area, than a TTD bus or truck bay, I'm not using anyway.

Return to “Graphics Development”