Canadian Stations Set: Updated 21/01/08 - v0.3d RELEASED!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

You should add some yellowish snow pixels in there somewhere. Maybe as an easter egg, 1 of those per map.
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote:Actually, I did some checking, and the white on the roof of the stations (I used the same colour scheme for all snowed roofs) is no brighter than the bright patches on snowy tiles. As well, it is the white that Michael Blunck uses on his snowy stations. I'm leaning towards not changing it. If I made it a shade darker it would really blend into the backgrond.
There are some of us, who argue you should not use 'pure' white (i255 or FF FF FF) but the lightest grey instead (i15 or FC FC FC). When you exit a game that colour sticks out like a sore thumb. It's up to you, but look at the 2 stations below, one of them I changed (all i255 to i15). Which one ? Do you see any difference ?

... and overnight the station master has done an excellent job clearing the snow from the station. Next, crosswalks will be installed ...
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

wow! nice! :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

OzTransLtd wrote:It's up to you, but look at the 2 stations below, one of them I changed (all i255 to i15). Which one ? Do you see any difference ?
But photoshop is telling me that all the bright patches on the roofs are all FCFCFC ?(
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote:But photoshop is telling me that all the bright patches on the roofs are all FCFCFC
I know nothing about Photoshop, but St.Cath and Locust came to me as FF FF FF; same as the background. I noticed that there was something wrong when I did a transparent copy/paste, those roofs had a lot of holes in it.

I just checked Niagara Falls, that one seeems to be correct; that white comes through as i252 (FC FC FC). I'll see how that one will come out. May be something has gone wrong somewhere along the line. Im just going to change St. Catharines as well for the time being.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Hmm. Could have been something when I saved the file. Anyhow, glad to see it's sorted.

The order of the stations in the drop down box doesn't matter. Eventually there will be stations that come available throughout the game, and these should be listed at the bottom. Perhaps put Locust Hill at the top as it is the smallest. After that, list them in any order. Perhaps the order in which I send them?!

I'm glad the station master got the shovels out, snow destroys leather shoes.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Those stations look very fine! Keep working on them, I'll tell you what I think you can do to improve them:

> As they are now, they lack volume. This is, they look like a draw in a plain paper. Using shading and texturing different tones of the same colors, you can make them look better. Also, try to make more difference of light in the / and \ sides (either the \side darker or the / side brighter) This should give them some deepness and add volume to them. Note that I am not actually into graphic design, so I am just using english words as I think they fit better for what I want to say, these might not be really specific art design vocabulary... I hope you get what I mean, anyways :D

> The snow on roofs really doesn't look good as it is now. It is too confusing. Just open any game in arctic cilmate and take a look at the original graphics. You can always tell where the roof and the soil are. The trick is to make the borders blue.

You are in a quite good track, I'm watching for this set ;) Good luck!
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Great work! What other features are you planning on drawing into the station? Overpasses? Benches etc?

Marshy
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

There are buffers, benches, and crosswalks being coded as I type. But after that, I'm not sure. Roofs, underpasses, and over passes are not common except on commuter lines. The current bleakness of these stations is representative of the real thing.
> As they are now, they lack volume.
Hmm, I don't see it. But I can say that these two are the weakest of my efforts. The big guns are soon to appear. Just wait.
> The snow on roofs really doesn't look good as it is now. It is too confusing. Just open any game in arctic cilmate and take a look at the original graphics. You can always tell where the roof and the soil are. The trick is to make the borders blue.
Noted. After 2 complaints into this, I get the message. :D
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

RPharazon wrote:You should add some yellowish snow pixels in there somewhere. Maybe as an easter egg, 1 of those per map.
As long as it's not another Spongebob Squarepants. :P That's a horrible easter egg...if your local authority rating is too low, you can't even demolish him! And I was doing the town a favour! :x
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

... here is a slightly larger gun, with crosswalks installed, next buffer stops ...

BTW, as fars as that 'pure' white issue goes, there is a small problem with the original sprites, FCFCFC changes to FFFFFF when imported. But can be fixed easily, I just need to do a transparent import over white (FCFCFC) background and not over FFFFFF and all comes out fine.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Ooooooohhh! NICE! These stations REALLY suit the trains ;)
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Oooooh, purdy.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Wow, awesome stuff, I can't wait to get my...erm..mouse pointer on these.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Another 3 stations added ...
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Ooooohhhh! NICE! :D Lifeblood, these look great, and OzTrans, nice coding :D Can't wait to use these.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Looking very nice indeed. Whitehorse just needs some White Pass & Yukon stock to make it a little more authentic... :wink:
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Nice! Could the windows on the Whitehorse station be made a little more brighter? You can hardly even see them in the snowy pic.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Marshy, I'll look into that.

The Canadian Stations Set will also include a freight depot for those suburban stations that accept goods...

(box-car by by DanMack)
Attachments
freight.png
freight.png (95.25 KiB) Viewed 8817 times
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Very nice goods shed that is ...

nearly there with the platforms ...

Return to “Graphics Development”