Canadian Stations Set: Updated 21/01/08 - v0.3d RELEASED!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Sometimes I just amaze myself! :D Looking good!
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Yaaaay! I've gotten out of having to code another station set! Weee!

Those are looking marvelous, lifeblood and OzTransLtd!

Edit: I have a bit of a psycho-nutso idea that might be possible, I'm not sure myself.

Can the four type of platforms that I coded, the brick, wood, limestone, concrete, whatever, be brought back, and then, all the fancy building elements be placed over the platforms? With the platform type of the station changing depending on what it's built on? I reckon that would be an interesting station set to use, and it means I can retire another station set off :P.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

I reckon that would be quite time consuming on my end - having to draw all of that, and it would take quite a bit of time to code. So sorry, no, that's not going to happen.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Hmm, I was thinking just detail sprites overlaid ontop of the platforms, stations, seating, etc. But no matter. It was an insane idea anyway ;).

'tis looking good, lifeblood. Quite good.

michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Hmm, I was thinking just detail sprites overlaid ontop of the platforms, stations, seating, etc. But no matter. It was an insane idea anyway
Not really insane. I do it myself, e.g. here:

I.e. there are only 2 crane sprites and 8 container sprites needed (each for x- and y-view) to generate up to 256 combinations.

Of course, this needs another "insane" sprite layout block of some 60kbytes and a perl script to generate it. 8)

regards
Michael
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Aegir wrote: ... station features (buildings, benches, ...) on different ground tiles (wood, gravel, concrete, ...) ....
lifeblood, I can't see why that should not be possible; you just need to supply the features in a seperate sprite to the ground(s); ie 1 sprite each for the different bare grounds and another with the benches or light posts. Then it is simply a matter of layering them together, like track ground sprite, ground sprite, BG feature, train, FG features.

Look at the sample on the previous page; I've already done that with the crosswalk. The only difference is, that the crosswalk sprite is a complete sprite and not layed onto a standard platform sprite. Definetely 60kB+ sprite layout blocks are unnecessary. ATM, our sample station uses 60 (times 2 for the snowy versions) different sprites and the sprite layout block is a mere 757 bytes plus a few var act-2's.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Interesting. I'm not opposed to it what so ever. The problem is that I'd have to make buffers and full tiles for each platform surface.

*new thought*

How about the platforms switch to concrete for any station built after 1950? This is more realistic, avoids any interface problems.

Ouu look! St. Catharines. Nice work OZ.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote:Interesting. I'm not opposed to it what so ever. The problem is that I'd have to make buffers and full tiles for each platform surface.
No, you don't. We are already half way there. We've the bare platforms. You'll need to duplicate those for other surfaces (ignore the fence, we have that already, see the buffers). Then with the Lights, Benches and Crosswalks you simply remove the ground (crosswalks would just have the timber boards and on a seperate sprite the lights). This way we end up with fewer sprites any way.

Now, with the buffers ... I haven't done anything yet for the very same reason. I need to know when and where to add the features : fence, entry/exit steps; i.e. corner, middle buffers
But we could simply use the platform sprites plus a filler (in all surfaces) to cover the track; then you only need one set of buffer stops, fences, light post and entry/exit step.

And of course repeat that for the snowy version, you would not need a seperate sprite for light posts and benches etc though.
... How about the platforms switch to concrete for any station built after 1950? This is more realistic, avoids any interface problems.
Why not.
Ouu look! St. Catharines ...
Yes, came out really nice, you can place it anywhere you like even at the end of a terminus station (sorry no buffer stops as yet).
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Not really insane. I do it myself, e.g. here:
Oh! Michael! Stop teasing us with those screenies! :p

Atleast my idea is feasible then :D.

And St. Catharines looks nice, I think I prefer the first shot of it allongside the tracks then at the end of a terminus. I'll have to have a good solid play with this when it's released :D.

lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

OzTransLtd wrote:No, you don't. We are already half way there. We've the bare platforms. You'll need to duplicate those for other surfaces (ignore the fence, we have that already, see the buffers). Then with the Lights, Benches and Crosswalks you simply remove the ground (crosswalks would just have the timber boards and on a seperate sprite the lights). This way we end up with fewer sprites any way.
A-ha. I see what you mean - each element is its own sprite placed over a ground sprite. Can you send me the working sprite set that for the set just so I get a better idea of how you're doing things, and how I should be doing things?

The problem with the concrete platforms is that the current fence and lights blend right in (see image below). If we're to do this option, I'd need to make these elements much darker. Is there a way we can do this at a later date so we can focus on the initial project?

As for the buffers, is it enough to say use MB's as a guide? (ie, the location of the stairs and fences)
Attachments
platforms by cornelius
platforms by cornelius
concrete.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 9872 times
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I don't think that looks too bad lifeblood, on my screen here, the fence, lightposts and platforms are quite distinguishable.

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, MB's are distinctly European. We need something like a Hayes bumper (Below)or similar. Looking good Oztrans and Lifeblood :D St. Catherines is a sweet little station.
Attachments
Hayes style track bumper
Hayes style track bumper
Bumper.jpg (70.83 KiB) Viewed 9793 times
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote:Can you send me the working sprite set that for the set just so I get a better idea of how you're doing things, and how I should be doing things?
Shall do; I'll add the snowy version of St.Catharines first, as well as Locust Hill and then redo the basic platform just with fence and lights (I do have the parts for that).
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

DanMacK wrote:Well, MB's are distinctly European. We need something like a Hayes bumper (Below)or similar. Looking good Oztrans and Lifeblood :D St. Catherines is a sweet little station.
Drawing the bumbers was the hardest part for me. I opted for concrete slabs. The trick is getting something that will work with both narrow and standard gauges. Perhaps for the 1950s onward concrete platforms I'll try to do the Hayes. :)
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Yes, it does work. The basic platforms are now made up of individual parts; i.e. ground, fence and lamp post. 6 sprites in total times 2 for the other direction and times 2 for arctic with a 467 byte logic block. The platforms are available any size, from 1x1 to 14x14 ...
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

Looks nice :) but one thing with the snowy roof, it's hard to see where the roof ends and the ground starts. Or maybe it's just my monitor.
In order to protect the visitors of this site,
TTO Full Conversion!
This post has been lol 1337 times.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Jezulkim wrote: ... but one thing with the snowy roof, it's hard to see where the roof ends and the ground starts. ...
you are right, but then snow is snow whether it lays on the ground or is on a roof. There is of course the roof angle to be considered and on my monitor just a touch of difference is noticeable. But, lifeblood is going to fix the roof anyway as it contains 'pure' white.

Further, just in case someone has noticed, single platform stations are now properly fenced ... but we'll still need someone to clear the snow just outside the station building (platform side).
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

OzTransLtd wrote: ... but we'll still need someone to clear the snow just outside the station building (platform side).
Ouu, very good point. Is there a way to code that in? (For stations, buffers and tiles?) In lieu of a response, I'll make them and send them to you.

*edit*

Here they are. They won't need lights because the stations all have lights on them.
Attachments
partial snow.png
partial snow.png (2.71 KiB) Viewed 9562 times
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote: ... Is there a way to code that in? ..
That is no problem; I've got to remove the light post on the track tile, if in front of a station building anyway.

BTW, light posts are going to be on every alternate tile; if on every tile, it looks to cluttered.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

OzTransLtd wrote:But, lifeblood is going to fix the roof anyway as it contains 'pure' white.
Actually, I did some checking, and the white on the roof of the stations (I used the same colour scheme for all snowed roofs) is no brighter than the bright patches on snowy tiles. As well, it is the white that Michael Blunck uses on his snowy stations. I'm leaning towards not changing it. If I made it a shade darker it would really blend into the backgrond.

Return to “Graphics Development”