Container Freight station and harbor

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Thanks for the kind words, Aegir!

ISA, about the cranes, I was already planning to make the small cranes to be usable on track tiles too. However, the big cranes would require too much remodelling to make what you say, so I don't think I'm going to do that for the time being.

Right now I am going to put my effort in the Spain set, which is having a serious boost in the coding, and needs a lot of sprites to be done soon. So it's unlikely that I will do any update for these freight stations. If I fin documentation enough to make a new release with many new features, maybe, but not for now.
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Hmmmm....
when i load it into my newgrf.cfg, then I click on the TTDPatch.exe thingy (for lack of a better word), I see the microprose logo, then it crashes. When I un-load the file for the harbor, the crashes go away! any ideas?
It's not me in my avatar, it's a time lord!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
-Douglas Adams
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Could you post the crashlog?
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

ehmmmmmmm....crashlog? pardon the stupid question, but what crashlog?

-Douglas Adams
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Oracle wrote: If you have any comments (e.g. about the amount of cargo needed to trigger load states, which I think may be a little on the high side) then please post (preferably sooner rather than later) and I might change something.
Enjoy!
Crap, is it too late now? :P

I agree that too much cargo is needed for the station loading states. Currently, my factory/dock station is deliberately under-serviced just so I can see all the neat cargo boxes and trucks. I think the current minimum cargo needed to trigger the maximum loading state is 1000, so why don’t you just lower all the numbers by 25% (e.g. from 1000 to 750). It’s just a suggestion.

I still love the station set, however. Excellent job, guys, and keep working on those cranes. 8)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

lws1984 wrote:what crashlog?
The crashlog that TTDPatch writes every time it crashes.
Named CRASH###.txt, and located in your TTD directory.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Ah... i'll get that right up.

-Douglas Adams
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

White Rabbit wrote:I agree that too much cargo is needed for the station loading states. Currently, my factory/dock station is deliberately under-serviced just so I can see all the neat cargo boxes and trucks. I think the current minimum cargo needed to trigger the maximum loading state is 1000, so why don’t you just lower all the numbers by 25% (e.g. from 1000 to 750). It’s just a suggestion.

I still love the station set, however. Excellent job, guys, and keep working on those cranes. 8)
White Rabbit, I don't see what is the point to that: The container stations are designed to be used for consumer goods industries (factories, food plants, refineries...) which are usually served by many raw materials (oil, grain...) and hence produce a fair high amount of goods.

For me the loading stages are not just a beautiful feature; the loading stages helps you knowing when cargo is piling at a station without having to click on it. For me the numbers are quite fine as they are. I'd only say that the first loading stage could appear a bit before (with 100 goods crates) but that is just a slight detail that can wait until there is a reason to tease the coder to work again on the GRF. That will be when I draw more new parts to be added, not now.

You want the whole GRF to be re-coded just because you are deliberately under-servicing a factory? if you want to see the full loaded stages, just run a game with a well serviced factory. Or even easier, just hold your goods transporting vehicles and you will eventually see what you want.
Come on, it's not so hard ;) and thanks a lot for the kind words :D
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Well, here you go:
Attachments
CRASH002.TXT
CRASH! BOOM! BANG! HEX!
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 373 times

-Douglas Adams
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Does it still happen in a69? (The log you posted is from a69pre1.)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

what? I thought a69 Pre1 was after a69! that might be it.... details later.

-Douglas Adams
Mega
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mega »

I am not worthy, I am not worthy

Great work 8) 8) 8)
thx many thx :wink:
HaroldV
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by HaroldV »

Sanchimaru wrote:You want the whole GRF to be re-coded just because you are deliberately under-servicing a factory? if you want to see the full loaded stages, just run a game with a well serviced factory.
Errr, haven't you got that the wrong way around? If you want to see the full-loaded stages you need to run a very poorly serviced station, as far as pickups go. Anyway, certainly the graphics should work to reflect the station's "inventory" and not just be a purely aesthetic feature, but I also agree the lower-end trigger numbers could do with being lowered somewhat. And is it really such a drama to tweak these figures?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

It wouldn't be too hard to provide a parameter (or parameter bit) for low vs high "trigger numbers". This, IMO, is one of the best uses for a parameter: something that changes the graphics, but leaves everything else utterly untouched.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

HaroldV wrote:
Sanchimaru wrote:You want the whole GRF to be re-coded just because you are deliberately under-servicing a factory? if you want to see the full loaded stages, just run a game with a well serviced factory.
Errr, haven't you got that the wrong way around? If you want to see the full-loaded stages you need to run a very poorly serviced station, as far as pickups go. Anyway, certainly the graphics should work to reflect the station's "inventory" and not just be a purely aesthetic feature, but I also agree the lower-end trigger numbers could do with being lowered somewhat. And is it really such a drama to tweak these figures?
I meant "service" to provide it with materials, but not to take the products.

For me, a station that reaches the 1000 crates is really crowded. 700 is a fine ammount too, but there are 4 stages from empty to full; and I want the 4th stage to be be like the station is really flooding.

0-100 > empty, 1st stage
101 - 500 > some crates, 2nd stage
501 - 1000 > first row of crates piling, 3rd stage
1001 > platforms full, 4th stage

So it's not like counting the crates on the sprites, but more like making an idea of how full the station is.
HaroldV
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by HaroldV »

I meant "service" to provide it with materials, but not to take the products
Ah yes, of course. I see that now, but I thought it was odd that White Rabbit's meaning of the term 'service' got inverted along the way.

The numbers and rationale posted make perfectly good logical sense, and yet they seem high to me for a secondary industry station. It's not unusual for primaries to build-up significant, if temporary, stockpiles of waiting cargo between visits, but having over 1000 units awaiting pickup from a secondary industry station (even from ones producing 6-7k units per month) seems not just a case of under-service, but near criminal neglect. :wink: But that's possibly just me.

I wonder how those numbers compare to the Wood (Un)loader Station and Steel Mill Station from the ... uh ... is it the Industrial Stations grf?

For what little it's worth, I feel 0>100>300ish>800 might make better trigger points.

Regardless, I'll still be using and enjoying this cool station a lot. Very nice work. :mrgreen:
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

I think the maximum for those stations is 800 goods/resources/waiting cargo.
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

Would the developers of this cool stations mind, if some Czech graphic artists repainted the asphalt and the rails to make this set compatible with the CzechRoadset and Railset, and rereleased it (with naming the original authors)

OR

Would the developers be interested in adding the new graphics into the existing file, and have it parameter controlled, so that the user could sellect which roads he wants?
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Sure, use the sprites as you need :)) I think that it's easier if you create a different GRF file for it.

Let me see the results when you get something!

Return to “Graphics Development”