Jonty's Graphics [Now Drawing and Coding! Feed me Sprites!]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

jonty-comp wrote:I've just had a go at putting more shading on the roof and the sides in the / , \ and | views:
Ok, this looks nice, but I'd need a picture of the real train to compare it with your sprites. But keep up the good work!
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Purno: The picture I used was this one, it had a nice side view for drawing. It might have a door at each end, but I can't tell (look at the picture I used!)

Everyone else: Stop being nasty to maley, at least in my Thread!:x I agree he was annoying when he was new here and I still can't believe he's made over 300 posts in a month, but he's a lot quieter now and I think he's turning out to be quite a good artist!:D I just wish he would practice his Spelling... :(

Oh yeah, and thanks for all the nice comments! :o

I went for a walk this morning with my parents, and just by chance came across a small train station, next to the second longest tunnel in Britain (the Totley Tunnel). I've taken some pics of the trains I saw with my digital camera, and I've got them queued up for graphics! Watch this space...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

jonty-comp wrote:Purno: The picture I used was this one, it had a nice side view for drawing. It might have a door at each end, but I can't tell (look at the picture I used!)
Bleh, bad picture. You need one which shows the front of the train, as well as the side and the complete consist. That way you know the position of everything, including doors in the different coaches, pantographs, etc.
That pic you posted is pretty useless if you want the graphics to look realistic :wink:

It's best to find a pic which also shows the roof, but those are hard to find, since you usually don't see the roof of a train.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

I see... 8) I'll remember that in the future.

Another problem I have is that I don't know squat about trains, things like 'Class 120' and '2-8-0' are gibberish to me. So don't be surprised if I post a drawing of a train that somebody's already drawn. :wink:
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

OK, here's what I saw out walking! :D

1. The second longest tunnel in Britain (the Totley Tunnel; it says above it!) This gave me an idea about a new feature: random tunnel entrances. Every time a tunnel is built, TTDPatch picks a random graphic to display at the ends.

2. The station we visited. I would like to draw it, for a UK stations set possibly, but I can't find any tutorials for drawing stations. :(

3. A train that stopped at the station while we were there. Can someone tell me what train this is please? I would like to know whether someone has already drawn it or not, and if I know the name, I will be able to find a better picture of it.

And yes, I'm standing on a bridge taking these shots. I'm not standing on the uphill train line!

Oh, and I also changed the topic title to 'Jonty's Graphics', seeing as this isn't my first train anymore.

Thanks in advance! :wink:
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

jonty-comp wrote: 1. The second longest tunnel in Britain (the Totley Tunnel; it says above it!) This gave me an idea about a new feature: random tunnel entrances. Every time a tunnel is built, TTDPatch picks a random graphic to display at the ends.
I think the Severn Tunnel is the second at 4 miles long. Channel tunnel is first.
csuke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by csuke »

that is a class 142 pacer, and yes someone has drawn it, though i believe it isnt coded yet
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Born Acorn wrote:
jonty-comp wrote: 1. The second longest tunnel in Britain (the Totley Tunnel; it says above it!) This gave me an idea about a new feature: random tunnel entrances. Every time a tunnel is built, TTDPatch picks a random graphic to display at the ends.
I think the Severn Tunnel is the second at 4 miles long. Channel tunnel is first.
Yeah, but the Channel Tunnel isn't really in Britain is it?
maley123
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maley123 »

was i being nasty i thought i typed in a good try

anyway you are very good
:P
leader of a Maley's Deluxe Railset
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

This tunnel's just over 3 miles long, so if we don't classify the Chunnel (Channel Tunnel!) as British, it probably is the second longest.

Anyway, I've decided to have a go at drawing the train, 'class 142 pacer' (Thanks csuke!), even though someone has already drawn it, just to practise. Hope that's alright with whoever did draw it! :D

Oh, and maley, I don't remember you saying that my train didn't look good, it's probably just the other forum users (*me glares at them :evil:*) trying to get rid of you. Thanks for the nice comments! :o
maley123
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maley123 »

i would love you to make a traditional english station i like marston green station and birmingham international the best i also like the white fences that come with the,
:P
leader of a Maley's Deluxe Railset
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Prof. Frink wrote:
Born Acorn wrote:
Yeah, but the Channel Tunnel isn't really in Britain is it?
The part in Britain and its water is :P
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Stop the OT, no reason to discuss about wether the Channel Tunnel is British or not, IMO...
Image Image
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

We are discussing tunnels in relation to Jonty-Comps post about a tunnel feature, and therefore should not be classed fully OT, but semi-OT.

I did have a Pacer once in Regional Railways livery. Don't know where it went though. Image
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

jonty-comp wrote:This gave me an idea about a new feature: random tunnel entrances. Every time a tunnel is built, TTDPatch picks a random graphic to display at the ends.
Will most likely be implemented once newroutes gets in; when that will be done is unknown, as usual, though.

And how's this for a compromise: Only count the Chunnel from the GB end to where it ceases to be under Great Britian's territorial waters and changes to being under French or international waters (not up on my European geography; I don't know if there's international water in the channel)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Purno wrote:Stop the OT, no reason to discuss about wether the Channel Tunnel is British or not, IMO...
Last time I checked, only moderators could get away with telling someone to do somthing like that...
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

But the reason remains, stay on topic ...
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Yes, I understand that, but ordering users around never seems quite right to me. Maybe I was just over-exxagerating, maybe he meant it differently.

*shrugs, then hugs Purno*
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Wikipedia wrote:Totley Tunnel is a 5.6 km (6230 yd) tunnel on the former Midland Railway Manchester-Sheffield line between Totley on the outskirts of Sheffield and Grindleford in the UK. It was completed in 1893 and is the longest main line railway tunnel within England that runs under land for its entire length.
So there 8)

And if you don't believe me, here's the page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totley_Tunnel

Now can we please stay on-topic? I'm nearly done drawing the first carriage of the Pacer, but I've just realised it'll need 8 views. Or will that do both of them? I'm not sure...

Anyway, if anyone can help, as I said earlier, is there a tutorial on how to draw stations? I think I can draw this one (see above)

Thanks! :wink:

P.S. I was at the Grindleford end of the tunnel; that's Grindleford station in the picture above
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Yes, you will need 8 views, as it is an a-symetrical carriage.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).

Return to “Graphics Development”