New water coastal tiles [v0.7 released]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hyronymus wrote:For once, read what other people write. Oskar said the author should provide the grf so the author should also add his personalised data to the grf-header.
Hyr, look at the times. robot_boy and Oskar posted in the same minute. robot_boy probably was typing his message when Oskar didn't have posted his message yet :wink:

EDIT: spell fixed

EDIT 2: robot_boy was replying to Shadow, I suspect.
Last edited by Purno on 12 Oct 2005 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Thanks Hyronymus for clearing it a bit, FFFFFFFF means it's a TTDPatch Feature, which is not really true then, gets loaded always and it isn't possible to switch it off.

Hopefully it clears now all misunderstandings.
It's normally the responsible of the Author to create a fully functional GRF with proper GRFID and proper Description. For private use you can create a grf aswell without them, but please leave it private...
Last edited by eis_os on 12 Oct 2005 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

OK, partial credits to Purno. I never check posting times and robot_boy's reputation didn't help much either. Still I think the warning-part couldn't do harm.
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

eis_os wrote:Please post a grf only if it has proper grfid...
It has, of course :)
Attachments
newwater.grf
(7.13 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
In order to protect the visitors of this site,
TTO Full Conversion!
This post has been lol 1337 times.
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

ok, so there is somekind of beta 2

-proper ID. Now the first two bytes will be 62 70,next 01 (my first project),next 02 (second release, and so on)

-deep water more grainy, less uniform, i'm not sure if it's better,judge yourselves

I will need some help with coding. i'm doing different sprites for the others climates, but no idea about actions (7/9?)

PD: a dos version will be done by r0b0t_b0y2003
Attachments
newwater.grf
(7.33 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
Last edited by lepkka on 13 Oct 2005 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Just a small tip: include a screenshot next time :). It might boost the initial downloads you get and people can see themselves what you're talking about.

For the rest: keep it up :!:
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

well, animated screenshots take me a lot lot of time.I haven't found a fast way of doing it. ...and static screnshots.. mmm.. the impression they give is not the same in game...
Attachments
beta2.png
beta2.png (110.23 KiB) Viewed 7090 times
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

True, I forgot you would need animation. Aren't there some easy animation programs like Animation Shop.
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

the problem is not the program, the problem is gettin' an entire animation cycle of screenshots (and ordered!). the animations are so fast that i have to press ctrl+s for a seconds, and it takes 40 o 50 screenshots, but even with this some "frames" can be missen.
It's hard to hand so many screenshots.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I imagine. I won't be so picky then next time ;).

BTW: the waves that hit the beach look better now, less white but still realistic.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

lepkka wrote:-proper ID. Now the first two bytes will be 62 70,next 01 (my first project),next 02 (second release, and so on)
Oi! No!
I made that mistake with the first few GRFs I made. If the GRFs are equivilant[0], please do not change the GRFid; at best it means we have to re-enable the GRF. If, OTOH, it is reasonable to use both GRFs simultaneously, then you do need to change the GRFid.

[0] That is, the new one should replace the old one.
lepkka wrote:I will need some help with coding. i'm doing different sprites for the others climates, but no idea about actions (7/9?)
Use action 7. check variable 83 against one or more of conditions 2-5.

I would code this type of GRF as follows:

Code: Select all

0*4
0*0 07 83 01 02 03 00 // if toyland climate, refuse to load
0*0 08 //...
0*0 0A //...
//real sprites for temp climate
0*0 07 83 01 02 00 00 // if temperate climate, skip everything else
0*0 0A //...
//real sprites for arctic climate
0*0 07 83 01 02 01 00 // if arctic climate, skip everything else
0*0 0A //...
//real sprites for tropic climate
Fill in the comments as appropriate, and then run the mess through NFORenum, which will automatically number the sprites, count the bytes, and set sprite 0 correctly.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

It would be really nice if docks and locks have similiar wave effects - now docks have static (was moving before) sparky-effects.

Same about the temperate climate button - I think the new water could be drawn there, too.

And the last thing, the buoy - have you changed anything to it? I see some strange navy triangle above the buoy...
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

WOW!!! :shock: It's coolest thing i saw here!!!
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

here is the dos version

also when you post the windows version could you add a w to the end of the name before the . so you get newwaterw.grf because the grf converter requires that file name
Attachments
newwater.grf
(7.33 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

I liked the old water animation more, the waves in the new version are too big.
In order to protect the visitors of this site,
TTO Full Conversion!
This post has been lol 1337 times.
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

DaleStan wrote:
lepkka wrote:-proper ID. Now the first two bytes will be 62 70,next 01 (my first project),next 02 (second release, and so on)
Oi! No!
I made that mistake with the first few GRFs I made. If the GRFs are equivilant[0], please do not change the GRFid; at best it means we have to re-enable the GRF. If, OTOH, it is reasonable to use both GRFs simultaneously, then you do need to change the GRFid.
Ok, I'll get stuck in 62 70 01 02
Dalestan wrote:I would code this type of GRF as follows:

Code: Select all

0*4
0*0 07 83 01 02 03 00 // if toyland climate, refuse to load
0*0 08 //...
0*0 0A //...
//real sprites for temp climate
0*0 07 83 01 02 00 00 // if temperate climate, skip everything else
0*0 0A //...
//real sprites for arctic climate
0*0 07 83 01 02 01 00 // if arctic climate, skip everything else
0*0 0A //...
//real sprites for tropic climate
Fill in the comments as appropriate, and then run the mess through NFORenum, which will automatically number the sprites, count the bytes, and set sprite 0 correctly.
thanks, it's working!
r0b0t_b0y2003 wrote: also when you post the windows version could you add a w to the end of the name before the . so you get newwaterw.grf because the grf converter requires that file name
oops.you're right
Jezulkim wrote:I liked the old water animation more, the waves in the new version are too big.
yes, i prefer it to
MeusH wrote:It would be really nice if docks and locks have similiar wave effects - now docks have static (was moving before) sparky-effects.

Same about the temperate climate button - I think the new water could be drawn there, too.
..and oilrig pillars
MeusH wrote:And the last thing, the buoy - have you changed anything to it? I see some strange navy triangle above the buoy...
it was an aproachment to other buoys style.. :roll:
a lot to be done
Attachments
buoy.jpg
buoy.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 6749 times
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

lepkka wrote:
MeusH wrote:And the last thing, the buoy - have you changed anything to it? I see some strange navy triangle above the buoy...
it was an aproachment to other buoys style.. :roll:
a lot to be done
Please don't put different things like that into one grf.
If people don't like this bouy, but they do like the water (or visa versa) then they are borked.
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Not by default, RobC. You can create a 'waterset' with several water-related items. You can let the user decide what to play with by adding parameters to your grf. I.e. 1 means new water w/o new buoy where no paramaters is new water w/ buoy.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

lepkka, I've found some issues about this grf (I'm using OTTD): Shore tiles of sub-arctic, sub-tropical and toyland look just like shoreline from temperate climate.
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

New water v0.1
Done so far
-new coast for tropical climate
-recovered first's post water pattern for temperate climate (sea waves), keeping the other for tropical
-recovered original buoy
-artic and toyland no longer loading new sprites (but not working in openttd)
-grf's name changed to newwatw.grf

Todo list
-docks, pillars etc integration (canals are actually looking quite good)
-stoned arctic sea borders?
-experiment widening tropical beachs
-fine adjustments

Edit: r0b0t_b0y2003, I'll be pleased if you can post a DOS version
Attachments
newtropic.png
newtropic.png (350.64 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
newwatw.grf
(14.37 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
Last edited by lepkka on 17 Oct 2005 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Graphics Development”