bridges - anyone wanna give them a go?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

bridges - anyone wanna give them a go?

Post by Alltaken »

what would be needed...

basicly modeling of bridges in sections of 1x1 squares. (no textures are required)

we need to work out how 32bpp bridges can be put into the game with things such as any height, dual layers (road/rail for example), curves on bridges, suspension spans (i.e. a span going more than one tile, and being dynamic as to the length of the bridge)

so the task is to find out what pieces we need, how many layers of sprites do we need to built a bridge....

water/land supports, mid sections, bridge back, bridge platform (carrigeway is perhaps the correct name i dunno) front support face... what else...

creating mockups (technical more than visual) can be done in a method like this
http://doug.mudpuddle.co.nz/albums/ottd ... kdown2.jpg

workingout combinations, scenarios, limitations....

i thought it might be an opertunity for someone to flex their brain muscle. anyone and everyone can contribute and try to solve this problem.

Alltaken
Last edited by Alltaken on 14 Sep 2005 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

Tempting... I'll have a think about it today

I don't think bridges should have corners however. Not really to do with 'cheating' but more unrealistic, and i know it's a game, but we'll some be able to build bridges in 4 directions.

What do you think?
iNVERTED
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by iNVERTED »

I think bridges should have corners, think of busy real life jnctions ;)
Yoeri
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Yoeri »

i can't get to your site.....
Archonix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Archonix »

dylan.farrow wrote:Tempting... I'll have a think about it today

I don't think bridges should have corners however. Not really to do with 'cheating' but more unrealistic, and i know it's a game, but we'll some be able to build bridges in 4 directions.

What do you think?
Bridges have corners and junctions built in to them in a lot of places where space is tight. Think of Tokyo, or think of industrialised Manchester or London about 90 years ago, when there were bridges over bridges, around bridges and stations built over the whole lot. Or... something like that. Point is, "bridges" is just another way of saying "elevated railway" which is quite a popular thing to have.
Brignell’s law of consensus: At times of high scientific controversy, the consensus is always wrong.
Yoeri
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Yoeri »

correct, but the option should be disabled above water i think. I've never seen a bridge above water making tight corners, and why should they?
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

well will have diagonal bridges, i don't see why we can't also have curves on them, i have seen many bridges with curves...

bridges have different settings as to what is possible or not IMO.

suspension would be straight, no curves, no intersections.

cantilever bridges, why not allow cruves, dunno about intersections.

concrete foundation bridges, steel support brdiges (infact any bridge with the support from under rather than suspended) should be fine for all thsoe types of things.

Bridges on water and bridges on land IMO will be handled slightly differently. but this is what we need to work out.

mockups please, come up with a bridge and try work out how it fits together, how things work, if it doesn't work change it....

you guys have brains, lets use them. (i have crewated this topic not because i am unable to wor it out, but because i want to give a place ot output some creative talent in these forums)

Alltaken
Yoeri
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Yoeri »

well, i agree that some bridges can make turns, but that depends on the type of bridge. Not every type of bridge is suitable for that
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

You guys might want to steal some ideas from my TTDpatch bridges:

Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Thief^
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Thief^ »

LoMo allows curves etc. in bridges, but it had the problem that you couldn't fit the train track to the land slope, so you "had to" bridge when you wanted to go uphill (hence someone's "grass slopes" bridge), and that you could just bridge over town buildings, blocking an entire town from sight. I think only a monorail should be able to go over town buildings. Not forgetting that not only was the AI was as stupid as ttds, but it bridged everywhere...
Melt with the Shadows,
Embrace your destiny...
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

the bridges will need to be way more detailed than the TTDP ones, however some of the principals might be needed to copy.

the features we can possibly have will be massive compared to them. bridges should IMO be able to go up and down hills (for curved decking on susupension/ concrete bridges.... to allow for ships to pass under)

also ho would people feel about the opening bridges, the mechanical ones...

Alltaken
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Cheaper, but they would allow to pass under only if pass over is denied.

But here is my bridge idea:
If two bridges are being built close to each other (image1), the middle supports should disappear - and bridge graphics should be applied just like the fences are being applied around the railroad tracks (image2).

This would of course allow to make junctions on the bridges, also it would look more realistic.

Also, there should be some limit, I think, in order to disallow making infinite-wide bridges.
Attachments
Image 2 (maybye in future)
Image 2 (maybye in future)
bridges2.gif (8.32 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
Image 1 (current)
Image 1 (current)
bridges1.gif (18.51 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

i agree, the width limit should be set inside the "bridge" settings area for the Graphics format. it should also allow mutiple track-types to share one bridge.

we have train/ vehicle bridges here sharing the same physical space :P

Alltaken
Last edited by Alltaken on 10 Sep 2005 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Yoeri
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Yoeri »

brigdes going up an' down? I've never seen such thing before. Isn't
that a little unrealistic? :?
Thief^
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Thief^ »

Think highway onramps and so on, but for trains.
Melt with the Shadows,
Embrace your destiny...
cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

Yoeri wrote:brigdes going up an' down? I've never seen such thing before. Isn't
that a little unrealistic? :?
Cornelius Foundry ~ Bespoke Isometric Narrow Gauge Engineering ~ Est. 1921
Yoeri
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Yoeri »

you guy got me :P, but that's not exactly what i ment.
take a look at the picture; A is a normal bridge, and B is the thing that pops
into my mind when i hear 'up an' down'
Attachments
naamloos.PNG
naamloos.PNG (10.02 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

p.s. less chit-chat more mockups..... :P

its a democracy where you get to have your say via testing out your ideas and proving them in a technical way.

those who want leverage into getting things how they want can prove that they work, technically.

i know i could do it, but i really do want to get some others taking more leading roles in problem solving (and proving them in the game)

seriously we won't get anything in the game if its all ideas no action.

p.s. LOL yoeri, no i don't mean bridges that go up and down like that, but that is funny :P

Alltaken
Last edited by Alltaken on 10 Sep 2005 16:47, edited 2 times in total.
Thief^
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Thief^ »

Going up and down with bridges is all well and good as long as you can't go up again after going down.

ie. /--/--\--\ is fine, but /--/\/\--\ is completely stupid.
Melt with the Shadows,
Embrace your destiny...
Yoeri
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Yoeri »

Alltaken wrote:seriously we won't get anything in the game if its all ideas no action.
I know, i feel rather guilty, but can't make such beatiful things as zimmlock, and Meush create. So i'll just give funny ideas and stuff, and let smarter people do the work. (biiiiig compliment)

Return to “Graphics Development”