George's new cargos [aborted] Use ECS instead

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

How should the building look it transperent mode

as the ground part with the above part in grey (default behaviour)
21%
there should be a text with cargo name over the ground part (English only)
22%
there should be an icon of the cargo over the ground part
56%
other (specify please)
1%

Total votes: 68

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

hmmm, i like that statue for sure! awesome, George. :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

George wrote:[Petrol 0D]
Petrol would be a second-level cargo, produced by oil refinary, available in temperate, arctic and tropic. If Michael Blunk will decide to make oil refinary to produce chemicals, it will produce petrol instead of goods. Petrol will be acceped by towns. Special 2x1 or 1x2 buildings "petrol stations" accepting 8/8 petrol and 1x1 buildings accepting 4/8 petrol will be drawn. May be some other industries will accept it too.
Is not better use petrol for the cargo produced by oil rigs and oil wells, and gasoline for the produced by oil refinery?
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

SLaY3r wrote:Is not better use petrol for the cargo produced by oil rigs and oil wells, and gasoline for the produced by oil refinery?
I'm guessing that George uses English English, in which you put petrol in your car. George, Slayer does bring up a good point: it might be a good idea to rename it Gasoline for the American version of TTD.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

DaleStan wrote:
SLaY3r wrote:Is not better use petrol for the cargo produced by oil rigs and oil wells, and gasoline for the produced by oil refinery?
I'm guessing that George uses English English, in which you put petrol in your car.
That's right
DaleStan wrote:George, Slayer does bring up a good point: it might be a good idea to rename it Gasoline for the American version of TTD.
Is there an international English word for petrol? Benzine?
astath wrote:hmmm, i like that statue for sure! awesome, George. :)
Well, I do not think that it is very good. It is hardly recognizable.

Oz, could you have a look and make a touch with your magic pencil?
Attachments
inf_501_xem_s.jpg
inf_501_xem_s.jpg (7.95 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
Image Image Image Image
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

I like the statue, but perhaps the bushes could be made darker? The look a little to light to me. It seems as if someone spray-painted them neon green or something. :lol:
Additional Livery Set
Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

George wrote:Is there an international English word for petrol? Benzine?
I don't think so, and no, respectively.

/me commences blathering about American English usage:

Around here (in the US), "gasoline tankers" carry "gasoline" to a "gas station", where you buy "gas" to put in your car's "gas tank"/"fuel tank".
I think that it's usually "gasoline" for large quantities, and "gas" for smaller quantities.

Under some circumstances it's "filling station" instead of "gas station"; I think this is a regional thing.

Big trucks have diesel engines and run on diesel fuel, but it's still a "gas station". (The truckers may call it something different, though.)

"Automotive fuel" might work as a replacement for "gas"/"gasoline", but that's not in standard usage, at least where I've lived. (nv.us, va.us, and in.us)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Fuel Oil is the cover-all term for refined petrol (gasoline), diesel, kerosene, avgas, etc. :)
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

PikkaBird wrote:
Fuel Oil is the cover-all term for refined petrol (gasoline), diesel, kerosene, avgas, etc. :)
Then why not to call it "Fuel"?
Image Image Image Image
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Okay. So. I reworked your statue a bit, George. Actually, I changed the statue itself very little; three pixels to be exact. :) However, what I did change was the context that the statue was in, and since it appears that this thread is largely democratic in the decision-making, I provided six choices. First is the original gray stone, 2nd is a travertine cobble, and last is a red gravel. There's also the choice of a fence around each of the aformentioned foundations. I do hope that one tickles your fancy.

My two conts on the petrol/gasoline/fuel issue: Shouldn't the oil refinery actually be called a petroleum refinery, which produces oil and fuel? But, this, again, is just a matter of semantics.

Thanks, again, for letting me work on your sprites, George!

Cheers!
Attachments
Statue Examples.png
Statue Examples.png (26.57 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

OOOOOOOOOOO Nice! Oz, you are THE man w/the pixels :D Looking great.

George, that hotel is absolutely gorgeous.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

You know, why not just have all of them as random graphics? I'm sure that can be done with newindustries.'

(My vote is for the two on the far right btw, and for the hotel itself, the top left)
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

George wrote:Then why not to call it "Fuel"?
Because "Fuel" can be coal, wood, natural gas, peat, uranium, alcohol, hydrogen...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Just fantastic George ... I like all the hotels ... nice shiny new ones, older used ones ... I go for random selection ... CC could be a flag on a flagpole somewhere but not too large.

Oil Platforms/Wells produce "crude oil", or just plain "crude". or just plain "oil"
Oil Refineries produce a range of products ... petrol/gas, diesel, bunker C, lubricants. chemicals ... I'd go with "fuel" which is very generic and "service stations"/"petrol stations"/"gas bars" as well as oil fired power stations would accept it. Coal is already "coal" in the game. Suggestion ... a "fuelling depot" could accept "coal" and then evolve to "fuel" for engines.
Platform/Well (oil) => Refinery (fuel) => Petrol Station
Platform/Well (oil) => Refinery (fuel) => later Fueling Depot (when diesels available)
Platform/Well (oil) => Refinery (fuel) => Power Station
Platform/Well (oil) => Refinery (chemicals) => Factory
Coal Mine (coal) => Power Station
Coal Mine (coal) => Steel Mill
Coal Mine (coal) => early Fueling Depot - while steamers available.

Tourist Trap :wink: suggestion - Amusement/Theme park à la Disneyland?

MB's passenger ship should carry tourists (Possible Michael?)
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Oz wrote:Okay. So. I reworked your statue a bit, George. Actually, I changed the statue itself very little; three pixels to be exact. :) However, what I did change was the context that the statue was in, and since it appears that this thread is largely democratic in the decision-making, I provided six choices. First is the original gray stone, 2nd is a travertine cobble, and last is a red gravel. There's also the choice of a fence around each of the aformentioned foundations. I do hope that one tickles your fancy.
Your work looks cool, and I shall use your ideas (I like the thith the most). But I made some rtesearch and found, that the staue on the stone is 14,3m high. To make it in the hotels scale I plan to redraw the statue at the other scale, that will make it 50% bigger.
Oz wrote:My two conts on the petrol/gasoline/fuel issue: Shouldn't the oil refinery actually be called a petroleum refinery, which produces oil and fuel?
Oil is produced by oil wells. It is a bad idea to have two oils.
Oz wrote:Thanks, again, for letting me work on your sprites, George!
This way I learn ;) Hope you are not against it ;)
DanMacK wrote:Oz, you are THE man w/the pixels :D Looking great.
Yes, Oz is really good in buildings
DanMacK wrote:George, that hotel is absolutely gorgeous.
Working on ;)
Aegir wrote:You know, why not just have all of them as random graphics? I'm sure that can be done with newindustries.
I thought about it. 3 views for 3 ones on the map.
PikkaBird wrote:
George wrote:Then why not to call it "Fuel"?
Because "Fuel" can be coal, wood, natural gas, peat, uranium, alcohol, hydrogen...
And what word do you suggest? I'd preffer one name for the cargo in all the versions.
Image Image Image Image
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

wallyweb wrote:Just fantastic George ... I like all the hotels ... nice shiny new ones, older used ones ... I go for random selection ... CC could be a flag on a flagpole somewhere but not too large.
Oil Platforms/Wells produce "crude oil", or just plain "crude". or just plain "oil"
Oil Refineries produce a range of products ... petrol/gas, diesel, bunker C, lubricants. chemicals ... I'd go with "fuel" which is very generic and "service stations"/"petrol stations"/"gas bars" as well as oil fired power stations would accept it. Coal is already "coal" in the game. Suggestion ... a "fuelling depot" could accept "coal" and then evolve to "fuel" for engines.
Platform/Well (oil) => Refinery (fuel) => Petrol Station
Platform/Well (oil) => Refinery (fuel) => later Fueling Depot (when diesels available)
Platform/Well (oil) => Refinery (fuel) => Power Station
Platform/Well (oil) => Refinery (chemicals) => Factory
Coal Mine (coal) => Power Station
Coal Mine (coal) => Steel Mill
Coal Mine (coal) => early Fueling Depot - while steamers available.
What do people think?
Michael, what do you think?
Image Image Image Image
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

The new attempt
Attachments
peter1-2.png
peter1-2.png (14.53 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
Image Image Image Image
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

So, you beefed it up a bit, I see. Looks great! I think that you might want to work on the horse's snout, though. His head looks a little round, and not long enough, to be a horse. Good stuff!

It's a statue of Peter the Great, huh? I was thinking that's who it was. Where is this particular statue located? Um, St. Petersburg?

Cheers!
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

George, you should do Palace Square, with the General Staff Building, Winter Palace, and the Hermitage. Or more realisticly, the Aurora.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Oz wrote:So, you beefed it up a bit, I see. Looks great! I think that you might want to work on the horse's snout, though.
I think that I have to work on the whole statue. It requires more work.
Oz wrote:His head looks a little round, and not long enough, to be a horse. It's a statue of Peter the Great, huh?
Yes
Oz wrote:I was thinking that's who it was. Where is this particular statue located? Um, St. Petersburg?
Yes, in SPb
lifeblood wrote:George, you should do Palace Square, with the General Staff Building, Winter Palace, and the Hermitage.
They are too big
lifeblood wrote:Or more realisticly, the Aurora.
Good idea

2Csaba: Can we create buildings that can be placed only on the water near the shore? Or on the shore?
Image Image Image Image
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

George wrote:Can we create buildings that can be placed only on the water near the shore? Or on the shore?
I believe callback 28 is close to what you need.

Return to “Graphics Development”