Narrow Gauge rails - updated release!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

cornelius
Director
Director

Narrow Gauge rails - updated release!

Post by cornelius »

I finally got my arse into gear and got my narrow gauge rails grf into a state fit for some kind of release. So here it is - I'm calling it a beta although I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with it.

You can use it in temperate, tropic and arctic climates and, using a parameter, choose which track type to replace. There's also a new depot to distinguish it a bit from normal rails.

There are no finished narrow gauge trains sets (yet), although I think Wile E. Coyote's Serbian one is pretty close, and the UK one is sort of getting there.

If you find any problems or have any suggestions please let me know. Oh yeah and if someone could test the DOS version that would be handy ;)

EDIT: 10/09/2005 - v0.91 Arctic snow rails corrected

Newest Version - v0.93 - Info and links to download Here
Attachments
ngrails.png
ngrails.png (20.17 KiB) Viewed 33580 times
ngrails.zip
(769.06 KiB) Downloaded 6839 times
Last edited by Born Acorn on 22 Jan 2008 00:36, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: download link update
Cornelius Foundry ~ Bespoke Isometric Narrow Gauge Engineering ~ Est. 1921
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I haven't had any crashes while using it. (at all)
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Most impressive.

Does this replace third rail? And also, can this shimmy in around other sets? Or did you use too many ID's for that to work?
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

it'd be awesome if this could replace the monorail system, in which case it could run along with the other sets.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

Aegir wrote:Most impressive.

Does this replace third rail? And also, can this shimmy in around other sets? Or did you use too many ID's for that to work?
You can set it to replace any track type. So for the UK narrow gauge set you would have it replace normal rails because that set will be self contained, but for the Serbian or Canadian sets you would use these tracks in the third slot as there the narrow gauge is supplementary.

This grf is just tracks - no trains!
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Coolies :D

Also, you have to have some locos and wagons coded, how about releasing that as well :P
cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

DanMacK wrote:Coolies :D

Also, you have to have some locos and wagons coded, how about releasing that as well :P
What I posted in the NG set thread last night is all we have. I suppose there could be some kind of demo though. Or you could give me your Canadian NG sprites and I could code those ;)
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

If I had some... lol

A LOT of the narrow gauge stuff up here was about as wide as the standard gauge stuff but shorter in length and lower. I may get some done this week.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

I "terrorized" NG rails with all available station sets! It's compatible with:
MB's stations
US stations
PGS stations
Industrial stations
Great job, cornelius! :D
It's only not compatible with presignal boxes (I obtained maglev tracks). BTW, Serbian NG set is not only mine, there is team who developes it: Purno, DaleStan, Lakie, patchman and me :wink: I hope it'll be soon available, we are fixing last bugs :roll:
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Cornelius, excellent work, Dan is progressing with the Canadian NG, so maybe we'll have something soon. I'm making sure that NG is 100% compatable with my upcoming Canadian Stations...

I have found one 'bug', if you want to call it that. In the arctic climate, the rails are not quite narrow enough. This screen shot below shows what I mean. The inner two are NG, the outer two are SG. Above the snow-line, the N looks to be the same G as S, esp. on the bend.
Attachments
Untitled-1 copy.png
Untitled-1 copy.png (27.05 KiB) Viewed 33147 times
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Here is a bug or two ...

The horizontal 'snow' track piece in arctic is not narrow gauge; the junction tile is correct. No problem in temperate or in the lower reaches of arctic.

And while you are at it look at this one ... temperate climate with snow (snowline.grf), only the junction tile is correct the others are monorail.

PS: tested with alpha 52 for WIN and NGRails parameter 4, electrifiedrails on, unifiedmaglev 1
cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

OzTransLtd wrote:The horizontal 'snow' track piece in arctic is not narrow gauge; the junction tile is correct. No problem in temperate or in the lower reaches of arctic.
You and lifeblood were absolutely correct - this was an oversight on my part. I've fixed the grfs and updated the first post in this thread with the new version.
OzTransLtd wrote: And while you are at it look at this one ... temperate climate with snow (snowline.grf), only the junction tile is correct the others are monorail.

PS: tested with alpha 52 for WIN and NGRails parameter 4, electrifiedrails on, unifiedmaglev 1
This is the demo grf that Patchman did, right? If so I don't know how to make them compatible. Is it worth the effort for a demo?

However.... using ngrails.grf with MB's Alpine climate also causes a problem because the narrow gauge rails still use an arctic ground tile while the new climate uses temperate. This could be worth sorting out, I suppose - if any plans to have narrow gauge in the Alpine/Swiss set?
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

cornelius wrote:... any plans to have narrow gauge in the Alpine/Swiss set?
If I were the boss I would definetely have narrow gauge in the Swiss Set.
Temperate climate and snow ...
I don't think that is temporary; there is the 'tempsnowline' switch, if specified, you can choose at what level snow is to appear (either use 'snowline.grf' or change the global variable in your own .grf). That works in arctic as well. You can have snow down to sea level and it seams to work.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Does anybody know of a bridge set that fully supports narrow gauge as well as roads and other track types?
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Probably not..
Not enough stock for narrow gauge to make it even worthwile to do bridges that are compatible with it.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

wallyweb wrote:Does anybody know of a bridge set that fully supports narrow gauge as well as roads and other track types?
Ask Pikkabird if you could modify his viaduct. He let Robotboy put US roads on it. It'd be very nice for the Can Set. How ya' doing anyhow Wally? Still limited to internet access in the Library?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

lifeblood wrote:Ask Pikkabird if you could modify his viaduct. He let Robotboy put US roads on it. It'd be very nice for the Can Set.
Unfortunately I'm neither coder nor artist but I do use Pikka's set and it is for the Can Set that I need these. Maybe DanMack can light some fires. :wink:
lifeblood wrote:How ya' doing anyhow Wally? Still limited to internet access in the Library?
I'm doing fine. Still internet challenged though. The good side is NO WORMS! NO SPAM! :lol:
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I'm working on it :P
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

OzTransLtd wrote:
cornelius wrote:... any plans to have narrow gauge in the Alpine/Swiss set?
If I were the boss I would definetely have narrow gauge in the Swiss Set.

Already planned! :D Cornelius knows as well, ive got his permission to use his tracks! :P
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

I think, although I can't totally remember, that I already asked Pikkabird if I could use his viaduct for NG.

The current .grf supports all the default bridges - if anyone needs sprites for new bridges doing I can help out, just PM me details since I don't check the forum that often at the moment.

Return to “Graphics Development”