German Tram Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Indeed. It's very realistic for North America. The Niagara region used to have a tram system that also transported goods between industries on the same lines. And much remains of that network, and its still used (I almost hit a train on the way home from work once). I'm with Dan on this one. Also, if an industry ends up being in the middle of a town, this would be the easiest way to access it.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Of course you can disallow it, on a per-loco basis.

Now: Diesel locos can go on normal tracks, or electrified tracks. Electric locos can only go on electrified tracks.

If it's possible to integrate the third rail into the system, you'd bit-switch each loco to indicate where it's allowed to go. Assume that tram-tracks always have overhead caternary.

So, an actual tram vehicle would be allowed to go on tram-tracks, and also on electrified lines, but not normal track because there's no caternary for it.

A light diesel or steam locomotive can go anywhere, including tram tracks.

A heavy diesel or steam locomotive can go on electrified and non-electrified tracks, but NOT on tram-tracks because it would crush them. There's a reason it's called LIGHT rail nowadays.

A light electric loco could go on electrified, or tram tracks. Basically that would be the interurbans and steeplecabs, which you could categorize as trams.

A heavy electric loco, or inflexible one (GG1 and Acela) can't go on the tram tracks because they'd crush them or not make the corners. (Yes, I know corners aren't a problem in TTD)

So, to do this, all you need is a flag for non-electric locos, indicating whether they're permitted on tram-tracks or not. An electric loco that can work on tram tracks is a tram, so code it accordingly. And all trams are able to work on normal electrified line - yes, I know there are voltage differences, but in TTD we already decided long ago to ignore that.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

[trains on city streets]

That´s nothing special. In Switzerland, the RhB e.g. on the Chur-Arosa line or on the Berninabahn is running their trains this way.

O/c that´s narrow-gauge ...

http://hampage.hu/kozlekedes/TdT2/03310019.JPG

regards
Michael
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, the Swiss do that with narrow gauge. I don't think even they do it with normal heavy-rail equipment.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Well, a (narrow-gauge) Ge 4/4 III weighs 62 tons, and a (normal-gauge) Re 4/4 I weighs 57 tons ...

regards
Michael
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

So maybe the Swiss are more flexible that way. :wink:
calciumcowpat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by calciumcowpat »

i think that t depends on which country your are trying to emulate in the set as to how you allow/disallow certan trains to use the tracks
What the difference between a ROUTER and a COMPUTER

A ROUTER does what its told a COMPUTER just crashes
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, I say allow all diesels (Except maybe a Centennial) on street trackage, esp. 6 axle units - lighter axle loading.
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Dan, that is the coolest picture I have seen in a loooooong time. I now have visions of a freight diesel chugging down the B line tracks along Commonwealth Ave. here in Boston. The kids at Boston University would shizznit themselves! :D The picture's also a good example for TT graphics scale.
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Ahh. Thanks DanMacK for coming and backing me up with some factual information. I knew that tram tracks were used thusly in some parts of the world, I just didnt have the information.

Now Im really motivated to get this working.

/me goes back to teh ASM to poke around
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Aegir wrote:I knew that tram tracks were used thusly in some parts of the world.
But they aren't, except with narrow gauge as MB pointed out. Certainly I don't think most normal trains should be allowed on tram tracks, otherwise, what's the point?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

krtaylor wrote:
Aegir wrote:I knew that tram tracks were used thusly in some parts of the world.
But they aren't, except with narrow gauge as MB pointed out. Certainly I don't think most normal trains should be allowed on tram tracks, otherwise, what's the point?
In that case *dont* run your trains on the tram tracks. And also dont use the feature at all. No-one is forcing you. This feature is made to emulate certain things that I *have* seen in real life.

Anyways, I feel like Im talking past people and not to them. Heres a screenie:
Attachments
*This* is why I made the feature.
*This* is why I made the feature.
SCR1.png (112.45 KiB) Viewed 6570 times

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I want to see the feature, I just want to use it differently.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Light rail shares heavy rail all the time, most light rail in the UK are ran on heavy lines that used to take goods to the industries in the centre of towns

http://www.railwayage.com/dec99/intransit.html
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

American Inter-urbans spring to mind with that patch, i would certainly use the feature Aegir is developing as it is.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Well, considering the direction this discussion has taken, all we need would be a graphical variation for normal train tracks in city centers - we don´t need to use up one complete track system for this (still w/o catenary).

regards
Michael
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

That could bring problems with normal train stations built near city centers..
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

michael blunck wrote:Well, considering the direction this discussion has taken, all we need would be a graphical variation for normal train tracks in city centers - we don´t need to use up one complete track system for this (still w/o catenary).

regards
Michael
Thats what I have suggested to Patchman. My idea was that rails build normally, you still have normal, electrified and monorail/maglev. But when you build a track over a road, it deletes the road, and places a track down normally, however, they draw as tram tracks instead of normal rails. This could be extended so that only rails built in the city center get the sidewalks, and ones built furthur out do not. Aswell, this might work well for tropical and arctic/alpine.

This theoreticly could allow catenery wires on tram tracks aswell.

However Patchman said that this would be impossible without a newtrack feature, as their would be no way to keep account of wether the track was built on a road or not, or what type either.

Considering high-speed rails, abandoned rails decaying over time, and pottentially buffers, would require a newtrack feature.

I think we should start bugging Patchman for newtracks.

So here goes:

Patchman, code newtracks!

Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Also, shouldn't it be mentioned the town should be able to expand near the city track, or the use of this feature would kind of limit town growth.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Akalamanaia wrote:American Inter-urbans spring to mind with that patch, i would certainly use the feature Aegir is developing as it is.
In that case eat up:
I dont actually hate you Akalamanaia, you just annoy the crap out of me on IRC.
Attachments
tramtracktest.zip
Eat up. And dont complain if it crashes, eats your pets, or makes your hard-drive spin backwards... Hey thats actually a neat idea >:D ...
(334.47 KiB) Downloaded 566 times

Return to “Graphics Development”