TTD graphic design software

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

TTD graphic design software

Post by MeusH »

Hello. I'd like to make some graphics (again) - this time, tropical stations and waypoints. I'd like to ask for your help with choosing and using the software.

I'm using Photoshop 7, which is really great application, but it creates transparency wherever it's possible - So I can forget about the lasso tool.
Do you know a way to disable anti-aliasing, please? That would help me a lot.

Szappy's "Sprite editor for TTD" seems to be a good app, but it's missing layers and I'm very confused about the pixel selection - so if you suggest me to forget about Photoshop and take Sprite editor, I'd appreciate help with filling areas of different colours, changing brush size and using the selection - like drawing in selection only.

Or you work with another application? Which one is it?

Thanks in advance
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I work with Paint. Mainly because I know all it's possibilities since I work with it for a very long time. It got all the simple tools you need for pixel work. But it hasn't got any layers or sth. (Tho you can draw two seperate things and paste them over each other from time to time. At least, that's how I would do it).

There are multiple tools you can use, use one which you can work with easily.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Purno's right, paint usually does the trick. personally, i always use(d) iMage, which worked fine, although it still was (and is) under construction.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Well, I use PSP7 too and you have this "tool option" available for each task you want to perform. The tool option often have more than one "page" and offers more options depending on what you're doing atm. And yes, there's an option for antialiasing but you need to have an image on the workdesk for it to appear using the lasso tool! :P
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

There is a open source successor to paint called Paint.NET. I like it so much that I use it as a replacement for PSP, which I used for years. You can download Paint.NET here.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Sounds like you are using brush tool. You must use pencil tool (lasso tool is in that case applicable). One hint: decone any GRF, open obtained PCX, clear whole image and start from scratch.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I tend to use The GIMP a hell of a lot. Has good functions, shift+click with the pencil tool is quite handy. I'm quite used to all of the keyboard shortcuts aswell. Handles palettes quite nicely aswell.

Runs like crap under Windows though. In Windows I tend to prefer Adobe Photoshop or MS Paint.

MS Paint is awesomely good for pixel painting, you can be almost guaranteed that it will never crash aswell ;).
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Dave

Post by Dave »

It runs better in other OS?

I like The GIMP even on Windows.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

The GIMP runs fantasticly under linux (ofcourse), but under Windows it is prone to crashing every now and again. I've had that happen waaaay too many times to me over the course of The GIMP's lifetime on the Windows platform (God, I remember, and still have a copy of, the first major release of the Windows port, back in the 1.x.x days).

My sister hasn't complained about The GIMP under MacOSX, so I can't comment so much there.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Whalker
Engineer
Engineer

Re: TTD graphic design software

Post by Whalker »

Hi.

I wanne give this a try drawing new things in ttd. But how do u realy do it? How do u draw these spriteblocks that GRF Maker wanne use? I tryed using paint and gimp and photoshop. but i don´t know how to do it. Is there any good tutorial for this? Feels like i looked thrue the whole intenet now. but can´t find any good. If i try doing it like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uWnwGfOCJ0&spfreload=1 that dosn´t work. I tryed using one sheet that was 256 by 256. Well it works but the program says i need to pick 8 sprites ( i just used like a blue scware ) I just don´t get it. Making me frustrated :evil:
so can any one plz help me before i go mad :cry:
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Whalker, check this page i think there should be most of what you need to get started : http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Tutorials
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If you want to draw vehicles (trains, trucks, whatever) it needs to have 8 rotations, these are the 8 graphics that GRF Maker wants to use. I would suggest following Purno's tutorial to learn exactly how to do that and all the things OpenTTD will want in color palette and other things.

http://users.tt-forums.net/purno/PDT/

I will again reiterate my warning on using GRF Maker - it's outdated, it doesn't always work properly on newer OSes, and it's abandoned. If you can't figure it out on your own it is very likely that nobody will be able to assist you in resolving it.

You might be better off using Richard Wheeler's PixelTool to create your sprites: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=69974
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

MeusH wrote:Hello. I'd like to make some graphics (again) - this time, tropical stations and waypoints. I'd like to ask for your help with choosing and using the software.

I'm using Photoshop 7, which is really great application, but it creates transparency wherever it's possible - So I can forget about the lasso tool.
Do you know a way to disable anti-aliasing, please? That would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance
It is a really great idea to try to learn an application before trying to see if it is possible to do in another application. Photoshop works absolutely great for pixel art, I have drawn all of NUTS in photoshop.

Regarding transparency, in 8bpp transparency does not exist and if you have white (insert desired colour), then in 32bpp neither. Which answers anti-aliasing exactly the same way - 8bpp has no way to use antialiasing already. With 32bpp, you might find other tools like M - box selecting tool very useful.

Even though photoshop 7 is kind of old, I am pretty sure those super simple functions work flawlessly there; even though I am using CC2015 myself.

If you want a more modern application than your old photoshop yet do not feel like paying the stupid subscription license (if you are not using photoshop for work then you probably don't), there is Krita which works very similarly to photoshop, but I do not know how does it handle OpenTTD 8bpp palettes and whether we have any such palette available.
GIMP works, many people hate it, many don't ... but you will face the exact same issues, learning to use the application :)

TLDR ... From personal experience I would recommend to stick with photoshop if you already have it. Even if it is an old version, for 8bpp graphics it should have all the functions you need. GIMP has the advantage of being free, but I doubt anybody would argue that it is actually better than photoshop.

Best of luck!
ImageImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”