"French Trains Set - freight rolling stock needs drawing

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "French Trains Set - freight rolling stock needs drawing

Post by Snail »

Nice artwork! :)

But unfortunately, as others said, the sizes don't really match TTD :( For the AGC, the horizontal sprites should not exceed 32 pixels, which is the maximum TTD supports if we want to keep the trains in the standard length.

Also, be careful about the colors you use: they have to come from TTD's palette, otherwise they won't work with the game.

I'd suggest you to go to Purno's tutorials, they're good to have a general understanding of how TTD artwork works! (no pun intended :p )

If you want some more specific advice, you can also PM me (even in French ;) )

Anyway, the team is now focusing on the narrow gauge part, which we will release first as a taster. I am actually working on some passenger coaches as I'm writing this :p we hope to have something ready to post soon!
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Mister Me
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mister Me »

Ok: J'ai tout redessiner un cran plus petit:
I was all re-draw with a decrease size.
vidéo:
TER AGC Bombardier ZGC Z27000
Entré en gare de Dole, en provenance de Dijon, à Destination de Besançon ou de Lons le Saunier.
:arrow: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1m4tg ... mte_travel
CHANTIERS INTERNATIONAUX DE JEUNES BENEVOLES
+ d'info: http://www.accjura.fr
Draw and code by himself: aviable only if i understant actions codes! lol
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

English only please.

The _ view of your passenger coach in the middle is too short. Note that if you make one view shorter, all views/directions should be shortened.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Purno wrote:English only please.

The _ view of your passenger coach in the middle is too short. Note that if you make one view shorter, all views/directions should be shortened.
Please report non-english messages to an admin. If you contacted me I could've told you I already asked Mister Me to stick to English. Merci.
Mister Me
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mister Me »

Hyronymus wrote: Please report non-english messages to an admin. If you contacted me I could've told you I already asked Mister Me to stick to English. Merci.
Yes he do, i just receive his message...
Purno wrote:The _ view of your passenger coach in the middle is too short. Note that if you make one view shorter, all views/directions should be shortened
I hope is good as that: (+2pixels for horyzontal coach)
(Warning: For the real train, central coach don't also long as angines)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

If the passenger coach is shorter in real life, you can make it shorter in the sprites too. But then all directions/views need to be shorter. Read my drawing tutorials about possible sprite sizes.

If the coach has a different length in different views/directions, you'll get ugly glitches.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Mister Me
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mister Me »

Same the last file, but train is sizing with good scale (Thank Purno, it's usefull tool)
What is the next problem?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Looks pretty good. Good job!

However, Transport Tycoon has sunlight coming from the right <--O. So the right side should be a tad lighter and the left side a bit darker. This is also explained in my drawing tutorials.

And you can also upload your paintings at these forums. Imageshack is pretty annoying with it's slowness and pop up advertising. I'd be very happy if you can use the attachment function of these forums :)
Image Image
Mister Me
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mister Me »

Purno wrote:Looks pretty good. Good job!
However, Transport Tycoon has sunlight coming from the right <--O. So the right side should be a tad lighter and the left side a bit darker. This is also explained in my drawing tutorials.
no problems!
Purno wrote: And you can also upload your paintings at these forums. Imageshack is pretty annoying with it's slowness and pop up advertising. I'd be very happy if you can use the attachment function of these forums :)
I try it!
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Hi,
These sprites are looking pretty good allready. As Purno explained, the light is still an issue. I would also like to see them a bit more shaded, and maybe some variations in the colours will bring out the rounded front a bit better. But these are a really good start.

I would also prefer if you would upload the pictures directly in the forums rather then using imageshack.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Mister Me
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mister Me »

And now?

And, i was found an old file, I was already draw freight stock for a french set... Draw isn't finished, sorry...
Attachments
TER3256c.png
TER3256c.png (15.93 KiB) Viewed 3558 times
Nouveaux wagons.png
Nouveaux wagons.png (36.01 KiB) Viewed 574 times
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Great drawing guys. I was wondering how close this set was to completion ? Are we talking weeks or months or.. ?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

As with any realistic set, the timeframe remains unknown.

Some behind-thes-scenes work has been happening, and again, as with all sets, the work will go faster as more people help to constribute :)
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

As James correctly said, there is no scheduled timeline for the completion of this set... real life is getting in the way, meaning I have less time to draw stuff, however, our commitment is there to stay and this set will get released.

We have decided to start working on a taster focusing on the narrow gauge rolling stock. We're doing this hoping that it will raise interest in the "NewRoutes" project, that (as I understand) will make it possible to have catenary-powered and 3rd-rail-powered narrow gauge rails (along with additional rail types). It will include trains that will need either a catenary or a 3rd rail to run. The time span will be from 1881 (when the metre-gauge system started to be widely used in France) until the modern years, including currently-built trains.

Rather than including "generic" engine types, we prefer to recreate some of the models that were used in actual French branchline railroads, that's why it's taking so long to draw each single variant. We hope this will be compensated by the realism and the variety our set will have.

Right now, 9 out of the 10 included NG steamers are drawn, as well as the electric locos and the passengers wagons. I'll post a mockup here when the steamers are finally done. After that, I'll draw a couple of freight wagons and we might release a first taster.

Stay tuned ;)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Hmm, no downloads for this set yet? if there is im a little to tired and lazy to go search. If your just missing frieght cars but have the locos and passenger, why not release that for now and name it "French Trains - Pax\Mail Only"

I may not like the language but I love the trains the french have, keep up the good work, and as for the longer trains, as long as theres no horrible cliping I'll use this, besides, we should add more support for longer stuff, that way trains that are really long in real life or are something like the Odakayu 7000 LSE where the cars are connected halfway on the bogies.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

*shows Neko the door*
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

jvassie wrote:*shows Neko the door*
What? Why? Cause the last post was 2 monthes ago?
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Real life leaves me unluckily very little time for TTD drawing :( I hope I can draw more stuff during the weekend. The NG steamers are *very* close to completion, but they've been like this for months now.

And this set will have freight wagons as well... the stuff will get done sooner or later, we hope it will be worth the wait!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Snail wrote:Real life leaves me unluckily very little time for TTD drawing :( I hope I can draw more stuff during the weekend. The NG steamers are *very* close to completion, but they've been like this for months now.

And this set will have freight wagons as well... the stuff will get done sooner or later, we hope it will be worth the wait!

I wish I could help but I have no spriting skills TT_TT
kyosuke1989
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by kyosuke1989 »

Well. I made the B81500 sprites from scratch. I made them for Finnish Trainset, if it could utilize it as future hybrid unit. I post it here too, permission to use it freely.
Hopefully helps your work a bit..
Attachments
B81500.PNG
B81500.PNG (3.45 KiB) Viewed 2722 times

Return to “Graphics Development”