New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread

Post by DeletedUser5 »

I would like to remake everything city buildings from tropical environment.
He said that he will remake all buildings for tropical climate.

So just wait.

And your flats aren't that ugly.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Wonderful work on the Tropical houses. My only query is that I believe the same house sprite is used for buildings on Sub-Tropical's grassy/rainforest cities, in which case the desert/sand ground may look out of place. (I think this is why the originals went for a mud look?)
Wacki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wacki »

EDIT:
I make a little change on picture.

Lordazamath - your tropical flats look nice, it only need some textures!!!!
Attachments
4598.PNG
4598.PNG (1.79 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
tropical_house.png
tropical_house.png (51.91 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
Last edited by Wacki on 09 Dec 2007 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my very bad English!!! :(
I am 3dsmax artist.
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

wow, i must say great work :wink: keep going that way
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:I spent last night trying to find a quick way of shrinking down the grass sprites and adding (or not) black borders.
According to the picture, the sun fall looks strange. Looks like there are 2 suns. 1 in front and one behind us on the right.
I think the light should look like this
Attachments
land.png
land.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
Image Image Image Image
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Ok, thanks Ben. It just seems that as Water is one of the few sprites that can be used across all climates, it might be interesting to do it sooner rather than later and I wondered if everyone else had forgotton it (as I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it).
I also imagine it would be one of the harder ones to pull off.
Wacki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wacki »

We have new day and here is new house :P
Attachments
4599.PNG
4599.PNG (1.53 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
trop_house.png
trop_house.png (59.8 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
Sorry for my very bad English!!! :(
I am 3dsmax artist.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

A quick mock up...
I think they look excellent, apart from the choice of ground texture, which will look odd in grassy areas.
Having said that I really like the ground texture, please please please make a tile set for the desert terrain!

*edit* And really good trees, scale up slightly and they would be excellent as roadside/terrain trees too...
Attachments
Tropical Houses Mockup.png
Tropical Houses Mockup.png (101.51 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

George: Here’s a comparison (attached), the original seem to have sprite B and its neighbour slightly brighter if anything, while on your example it’s ‘A’ that is considerably brighter. I have ‘B’ and ‘A’ around the same with the tile between slightly brighter as the light direction is close to horizontal. Which tiles specifically would you suggest brightening/darkening?
Attachments
LSexample.PNG
LSexample.PNG (33.67 KiB) Viewed 3993 times
Ben
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:George: Here’s a comparison (attached), the original seem to have sprite B and its neighbour slightly brighter if anything, while on your example it’s ‘A’ that is considerably brighter. I have ‘B’ and ‘A’ around the same with the tile between slightly brighter as the light direction is close to horizontal. Which tiles specifically would you suggest brightening/darkening?
I find original colour schema containing mistakes and suggest to use the brightness schema I posted. I calculated it according to the sun position I suggested long ago http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21583 (I assumed that the brightens is proportional to the angel between the surface and the sunlight direction).
Image Image Image Image
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

George: You first diagram seems to agree more or less to a point I made about 18 months ago also. I animated the lights moving and checked it which is here, and then drew up this from it: (white - best angles, red - worst)

I do agree though, maybe the front (side 'A') needs a slightly more lighting, but I think the side between A and B should be brighter than A, as having side A significantly brighter makes the bottom side seem overly dark, and the light being more southerly than I think it is (around 130'degrees).
Ben
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

George and Ben,

While creating my grass, I did make several test renders, wrt to shading, and like to share my findings.

Actually I think both your examples are not completely realistic:
George: the example you gave cannot be correct: the brightest and darkest tile are not opposite to each other, which is physically impossible I think, so the brightest tile should be on the right, or the darkest one must be on the tile between left and top.

Ben: In your example the top tile is too dark, compared to the one left of it . Because the light is almost horizontal, the top and bottom tiles should by almost symmetric. My grass set suffers from the same 'artefact' deliberately , if the top and bottom tile are almost the same colour, it becomes more difficult to distinguish the slope of the hill, so I made the top tile darker deliberately, to enhance gameplay at the cost of being less realistic.

In short, I think the best shading would be obtained if in George's example the A tile and right were swapped, which then very much resembles Ben example, if his top tile would be just a little brighter (just enough to distinguish it from the one left of it.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Wacki: All of your tropical bildings are nice. What goes wrong is the tint of white on walls. They appear grey, unlike original that are white. I know it is blender problem, so you will have to photoshop.
Note: Keep the walls of the sheds grey. They make a variation. Make main buildings walls white.
Also the sand color is better than original. Only we will burn our eyes. :lol:

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

GeekToo wrote:George: the example you gave cannot be correct: the brightest and darkest tile are not opposite to each other, which is physically impossible I think,
mistaken :lol: If tiles would have the same angle between the tile's plane and the horizon plane, and we would have unlimited number of tiles with the size coming to zero, than it would be correct. But in TTD world they are not, of cause, so you can get this effect.

Just to mention. In my calculation I assumed that a tile is 16 x 16 and height of one level is 8.
Image Image Image Image
Michael24
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Michael24 »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote: The tree is merged with the other two
Sweet! :D

Those trees where brilliant! Will they be available in TTDP as well? :)
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

George/Geektoo: I'll take a look at this in a short while, I'm currently just messing with alignments and getting rid of the see through pixels around the edge. I quickly made the attached to use to expose where these pixels are (for full zoom) if anybody needs to do the same. I think (in relation to merging sprites geektoo) I'm gunna have to move on from grass soon because this is driving me nuts, so once they tile ok and I've altered the shading as spoken about above I'll leave it for a bit. It's about as fun as watching grass grow, but without the grow bit.

Michael24: Thanks, there available to anybody, but currently I have made only 3 at full zoom. Feel free to resize if you want. I shall do more when I have time, and I still need to finish the 3rd one also.
Attachments
Whitefill.tar
(50 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Ben
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:Michael24: Thanks, there available to anybody, but currently I have made only 3 at full zoom. Feel free to resize if you want. I shall do more when I have time, and I still need to finish the 3rd one also.
Only if I recall correctly TTDP doesn't support 32bpp graphics though...
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Just as OTTD trunk doesn't support full zoom. But the graphics can be altered to work if people want, rather than me doing it. I'm not sure how easy it is to generate 8bpp graphics from 32bpp images though as I've never tried it before.
Ben
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

The 32bpp ---> 8bpp conversion tends to work fairly well... Just convert to an 8bpp image with the correct palette.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Geektoo/George: It’s hard to agree to 2 differing opinions, but I've gone on what you said and made the attached. I agree mostly with Geektoo’s first post and have reduced the contrast between the tiles towards the base. The light is now shifted more to the forward side of 90 degrees right, but not as far down as the diagram in the topic you linked to George. This darkening around the top right hand side has allowed me to remove some of the yellow which I wasn't that keen on and I think is one of the main strengths in geektoo's grass. Anyway, is this more as you were describing?
Attachments
grass.png
grass.png (29.2 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
Ben

Return to “Graphics Development”