"Project Generic Stations" Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I believe Aegir only works on weekends. But your sprites are certainly on the official to-be-coded list, and he'll get to them.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Loosemoose
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loosemoose »

Sorry if this is classed as off-topic, but how do you make the tiles for these stations? I'm assuming you draw them by hand? I was thinking of using a 3d graphics package to basically model the stations (in low detail, since the resolution is low), then you can hide parts, render & resize (with a blue background) and as long as the camera is in the correct position you get tiles with perfect perspective... Just wondered if anyone had tried it before and it had looked strange, thats the only potential problem i could see with it. There's possibly an issue with getting the tiles the right size as well...

Loosemoose
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

The trouble with rendering 3D objects is that TTD has a very specific 255-colour (minus some special colours) pallette.

I imagine you could start with a 3D render, then touch up by hand (like someone's been doing in the planeset topic), as long as it conforms to the pallette.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

It has been tried, and although the results are beautiful, I'm unimpressed with their consistency. Also, there's the issue of the plethora of magic colors in the palette, which must be used under the correct circumstances, or not at all, lest undesireable things (like a flashing red/yellow spot) happen.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Loosemoose
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loosemoose »

I knew there'd be a decent reason... I suppose you could take the rendered image into paintshop and load in a custom palette with only the 255 colours allowed. The paint program makes the conversion, you touch up the magic pixels... It might work, I might have a go eventually.

Loosemoose
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

krtaylor wrote:I believe Aegir only works on weekends. But your sprites are certainly on the official to-be-coded list, and he'll get to them.
Thats indeed correct, Im a weekend worker. I simply rarely have the time during weekdays to spend on coding, things may change before long, but meh.

Sorry Astath, I have more important things to code atm than concept sprites, perhaps doing some mock ups in Photoshop (Or equivelent) would be a better idea. Dont forget with your enclosed canopies that you still have to be able to see the trains ;).

Good luck man.

Oh, and also, I've finished coding the Dutch stations, they are in the new 'Modern' class, and I've made a new class for the goods sheds. Progress may be a trifle slow this weekend, because I have an assignment due on monday, and well, I need to do it :lol: .
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

Passager station sprites, and once again, concrete platforms by cornelius :wink:
Attachments
ps.png
ps.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
In order to protect the visitors of this site,
TTO Full Conversion!
This post has been lol 1337 times.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think the shading could be better, Jezulkim.

As far as rendering TTD objects, it has been tried with tremendous success in the Planeset. We now have rendered versions of the Zeppelins, Osprey, and Shorts, which are hugely superior to what came before. If an object is mostly straight lines, then it's probably easier to draw it by hand; but if it has lots of curves, rendering may indeed be better. Take a look at the Planeset thread and see.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

Is this any better?
Attachments
ps.png
ps.png (2.72 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
TTO Full Conversion!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I mean, the shading is too regular. There can be shadows of the canopy on the platforms. Also, the canopy and the platforms are too similar in color and design, they would run together and look odd. Maybe make the canopy lighter in color, because it's more in the sun? And you could add some ribs or seams to both, for definition.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

people should also do some "Warning" areas on the platform edges close to a train, some stations around here got special coloring or tiling on the edge to signify that if your there when the train comes, or passes through, the air drag might drag you with it.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Oh yes, for sure, you are right. Usually that's safety-yellow.
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

krtaylor wrote:I mean, the shading is too regular. There can be shadows of the canopy on the platforms. Also, the canopy and the platforms are too similar in color and design, they would run together and look odd. Maybe make the canopy lighter in color, because it's more in the sun? And you could add some ribs or seams to both, for definition.
Do you mean like this?
Attachments
ps.png
ps.png (3.02 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
oldstation.png
oldstation.png (4.45 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
TTO Full Conversion!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

That bottom bottom picture, the station buildings, look really good, but how would they fit in one TT square at that size? :wink:
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The platforms are OK, but Akalamanaia is right, they need a stripe of safety-yellow along the edge of the platform where the trains are.

The building needs more detail and shading, and in order to make it fit, you either will have to put it on an island between two tracks (where there's more room) like the rural US station does, or used some kind of forced-perspective like the Industrial stations do.
cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

Repost of the platform graphics I did originally, including various types of edging stripes. Free to use etc...

Cornelius Foundry ~ Bespoke Isometric Narrow Gauge Engineering ~ Est. 1921
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

nice!

aegir: i understand. i have a lot on my mind as well (driving exams, gigs and new demo with band, work etc.) :wink:
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

cornelius wrote:Repost of the platform graphics I did originally, including various types of edging stripes. Free to use etc...

I'll put that "On the Pile".

Cheers.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

Aegir wrote:
cornelius wrote:Repost of the platform graphics I did originally, including various types of edging stripes. Free to use etc...
I'll put that "On the Pile".
Oh - only if you've nothing else to do ;)

I just posted it for people who wanted platforms with safety stripes to use in their designs, since they were discussed earlier.
Cornelius Foundry ~ Bespoke Isometric Narrow Gauge Engineering ~ Est. 1921
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

Safety-yellow, shading, more detail.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (11.47 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
ps.png
ps.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
oldstation2.png