Grf Crawler 1.0 - RSS - Category System - RSS feed - XML API

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

I had some sparetime left today and I have always wanted to make something which integrated with the phpbb login system so I have made a very basic database to enter stuff like the grfcrawler discussed inhere.

Only in my version it is possible to select gametype OTTD TTDP etc etc. And maybe in future an upload option can be build.

Now users have to be logged in on this forum to cast a vote (there is a voting system) or to post a new link.
There is a search function, you can select which gametype (ottd, ttdp, ttdlx, etc) and which filetype (scenario, savegame, etc) you are looking for and enter a keyword.

Obviously this only works if owen decides to upload it and implement two extra tables to his mysql database.. I have now only tested it on my own phpbb system. But this is of latter concern.

THE LAST THING I WANT is to push my creation through everything else...
Owen already has his repository and now there is grfcrawler getting functional, and then there are other sites aswel... I coded this php-based archive because I liked to do it and it brought me some more experience with phpbb systems.
Now I only want to know if there will be any interest amoung you. Still it seems to me there should be a place for ALL files to go to, not just grfs or not just for TTDP.

I only look for the best option for everyone, we should all decide which system to use... but I want to add two demands:

1. It has to be functional.
2. It has to be aknowledged as THE place to go to... so that everything should be kept in the same place.

Whether it will be owens repository, my basic archive or an enhanced version of grfcrawler does not make any difference. I only propose to seriously discuss the option of one central place to gather all files. Because for newbie's and also for more experienced users I believe it is still hard to find all the files.

p.s. if anyone is interested in what I made, let me know.
Never fear, I is here...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

One central place where all the files live would be fine, AS LONG AS there was an automatic way for it to check somewhere for new versions of the files - a different place for each file, depending on where its own website is.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

krtaylor wrote:One central place where all the files live would be fine, AS LONG AS there was an automatic way for it to check somewhere for new versions of the files - a different place for each file, depending on where its own website is.
Probably a link to the exact download location would do... but this location should not change... or maybe the author should be able to update his entrys in this collection-site.
Never fear, I is here...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Observer wrote: Probably a link to the exact download location would do... but this location should not change... or maybe the author should be able to update his entrys in this collection-site.
Yeah, but they don't. That's the problem with Dinges' site.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

The latter is best since noone can guarantee where his graphics will be hosted next year.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Observer wrote:Probably a link to the exact download location would do...
I did that on the original Repository due to my limited hosting when I started it. Over half of the links on it are now broken. I'm thinking of getting around to doing some work on the new Repository tomorrow perhaps, and this one has all files hosted locally. It is also integrated with the forum login system, and, if it ends up the way I originally planned, will have an internal database of GRF files which can be used for autodetection from SV1 files. This could be expanded to incorporate something like Oskar's GRF Crawler, but let's get this site complete as a saved game repository first...
Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

That would be perfect owen :!:
Never fear, I is here...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Personally I am much more interested in the scenarios than the savegames, but I suppose from the website point of view it's pretty much the same thing. Don't forget to include that little game-viewing applet so we can see what the map looks like before we download it.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

I asked people to give comments before I started heavy work on it.
Observer: Grfcrawler is already online, if you haven't tested it: http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net

There is no way planed for a voting system because I find them mostly terrible and the won't simple work with the main idea behind grfcrawler.

grfcrawler let all people add new entries, and the planed propose an edit function works the same. (Thats the difference to Dinges Site, there the grfauthor has to add the entry)

Simple Question, are all main grf authors registered at Dinges Site? I don't think so, I know that it's a big step to register on some site.

To get to the main point, grfcrawler is designed in the spirit to let all people use it without registering.

Anyway Owen and me talked about binding for my last project, the patchfaq (now we use a better system, the wiki) , I am never a friend of too many interdepedences, if some system fails or has a bug it can destroy all sites.
I don't like the idea of haveing too many people access on the user table aswell.

Grfcrawler was created because I searched a good way to get all grfs for testing purporse and even I had problems to find all grfs.
So Main Idea: Lets build a grf search or "Grf-Gugl" as Michael said to grfcrawler, the problem with an automatic system: it's not very easy to find grfs, the right version, not a test version.
So a database was the only way to go.

Uploading GRF files on it could be added aswell, but we have Dinges site, we have the forum for uploads, why make it even more complicate and make a new system?
I don't like any rivalry about sites, I think Dinges provided a good service with hosting GRFs and I hope that will stay like this...
If there is a need for a new home of grfs, I could provide an upload option surely...

PS: Owen doesn't like big Mods (custom software) on the forums so a update will fail.

Ohh, btw. I can't release my work under GPL because I share software modules between projects, so I can't integrate phpBB stuff, there is no possible way...

Puh! What a long text :D

Ehm, didn't Owen has a special thread for the repository himself?
-edit-
Querys could be made with an xml interface as example and added to other sites...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

I do get the idea behind it, and I appreciate what you are trying to do. But your program does not seem to work for me.
I mean: I like to find all my files in the same place, and not just grf files and not just for ttdp...
I have tested your grfcrawler and it looks very great at what it is supposed to do, but that just isnt enough for me.

But dont stop developing it now, there will probably be lots of users that do like to search only for grf files. :wink:
Never fear, I is here...
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

It wouldn't be a problem to create a tt crawler or something but it has to be maintain/serviced. Owens Repro already died because of broken links...
No I don't want to maintain a "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau"

-edit-
GRFCrawler was posted in the TTDPatch Graphic Section, there will be no support from me for the asm-to-c conversation ... but that is already known fact by the most users...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think the GRF crawler should be ONLY for GRFs. When Owen's Repository is back up, it can handle all the scenarios and savegames. It's just as well to have them seperate, but interrelated where needed.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Don't know why the Bm73 there...
Just asking who uploaded it?

Edit: Thanks for removing the download link eis_os,
That version was rathar large and full of quite poor code.

When the time comes I'll give a link to the new version,
Also, the Information should be.

Code: Select all

Name - "Bm73"
Author - "Lakie and Purno"
Description - "This Grf Replaces the Plastic Truck (115) with the Bm73.

This Grf will hopefully be included in the Norwegian Train Set.

Please wait for the version to be updated before a dowload link is added."
Dos File Name - "bm73.grf"
Win File Name - "bm73w.grf"
GRFID - "4E 4C 05 50"
Download link - ""
btw, would you mind me uploading a link to the Finnish Taster?
(Got a download page, finally ;))

Thanks again eis_os.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Oh eis_os, here's a 300x200 picture for the US set.
Attachments
usshot.png
usshot.png (71.03 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Uff, Truecolor, my reduced version in 256color only has 23KB!

PS: I currently try to work on a edit system :wink:
Attachments
Pic reduced to 256colors
Pic reduced to 256colors
usset.png (23 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
And a even smaller version with a png tool...
And a even smaller version with a png tool...
usset.png (21.79 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Sorry to intrude on your topic again eis_os, just pointing people to this topic for Repository discussion.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

With the same system of adding grfs, now grfs can be changed,
click in details of the edit entry link ...
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

eis_os wrote:PS: Thanks Oracle for the USSet entry :)
:shock: That most certainly wasn't me. The description is pretty poor and the name is not at all how I would have put it. I will write a much better description myself at some point and submit it using the edit feature and will add the stations too.

May I suggest that you make the picture on the left of each entry and/or the name into a link so that you don't have to go across to specifically click on "more details"? It's not really important but I think it would be more natural.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Would be nice if you could make the changes, maybe provide a 75x75 Image aswell?

Ohh, and now more parts will result into detail mode :D
fire87
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by fire87 »

Umm.. Just to answer on one train in there.. The BM73 will be included for the NTS, in case some of you were wondering (especially Lakie) :wink:
Currently working on:

Norwegian (NSB) Trainset
Topic | Website

Return to “Graphics Development”