Grf Crawler 1.0 - RSS - Category System - RSS feed - XML API

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I don't know if you can make it do this automatically, but a VERY IMPORTANT feature would be for it to keep straight versions and inclusions. Example:

1. There are several versions of the BR set, US set, and so on. It would be extremely helpful for your tool to be able to recognize the different versions of the same set. I suppose they would want to be listed separately, because older versions might not require as recent a Patch version, but there should be some way of it knowing that this is an "old" version and flagging it as such.

2. Even more complicated, sometimes one GRF file gets absorbed into another one. For example, the PNS stations are now in the larger "New Stations" project set. So your index should note that the PNS set is obsolete, and absorbed in the other GRF file so people won't download it, or will replace it if they have it.

3. Last, and worst, some newer versions don't have the same names as the older versions, e.g. the Long Vehicles.

I think this means you need to add a field which is manually edited by the administrator, into which you enter the database ID of the "Newer Version." If the particular file in question is the newest version, then that field would be blank.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Hi

To Owen:
Your Table lacks of proper download links, it won't help people to find a file if the link is set to "tt-forums.net". :?

krtaylor wrote:I don't know if you can make it do this automatically, but a VERY IMPORTANT feature would be for it to keep straight versions and inclusions. Example:

1. There are several versions of the BR set, US set, and so on. It would be extremely helpful for your tool to be able to recognize the different versions of the same set. I suppose they would want to be listed separately, because older versions might not require as recent a Patch version, but there should be some way of it knowing that this is an "old" version and flagging it as such.
I think thats the responsible of the author to provide the information if a set works on version x on the patch otherwise the database gets really fast out of date...
2. Even more complicated, sometimes one GRF file gets absorbed into another one. For example, the PNS stations are now in the larger "New Stations" project set. So your index should note that the PNS set is obsolete, and absorbed in the other GRF file so people won't download it, or will replace it if they have it.
That shouldn't be to hard, a extra field could cross link old versions to new ones:
So in details you would get, There is a new version <Name of the new Set> here...
If you would write in the description that the version absorbed this and that grf, grfcrawler would find it :D
3. Last, and worst, some newer versions don't have the same names as the older versions, e.g. the Long Vehicles.
You can a) make a new entry and put in the description it's obsolute,
b) put in the description of the new grf it's the replacement for old set.
c) If I provide a "new version" entry, it can be used...
I think this means you need to add a field which is manually edited by the administrator, into which you enter the database ID of the "Newer Version." If the particular file in question is the newest version, then that field would be blank.
I think I should provide an edit way for entries.

My current todo list:
Make two letter searches work, only the name field
Add a replacement link in the detail for obsolute sets...
Add an rss feed like system, so repository sites I can trust will be autoindexed :-)

PS: Thanks Oracle for the USSet entry :)
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I think you need a way to edit entries. None of the current grfs have pictures and in some cases, you really need to see it before you download. (Eg: for single building replacements)
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

You can provide png images 75x75 for the list and 200x200 max 20k each for every new entry...
Searching for 2 letters in the name will work now...

Ohh, and I asked Michael if I am allowed to have pics for his Sets, I have to wait for the answer first...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Ok, I just uploaded some info about my new fence... but it isn't in the list...

(I even attached a small 75x75 pixel image, I wonder how it looks like, since all the other graphics don't show any)

BTW, IMO it would be nice to have the author's name in the list... (http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net/index.php?do=list)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

eis_os wrote:Your Table lacks of proper download links, it won't help people to find a file if the link is set to "tt-forums.net". :?
It's a WIP, I still had to find all that stuff out. ;)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:It's a WIP, I still had to find all that stuff out. ;)
Small error: The EMU 680 says Lakie is the author, ok, he coded it, but I drew it. You might want to add my name too :wink:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Yeah, maybe "Lakie and Purno" would be better ;)

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Entries will be checked by me and then transfered into the main database,
otherwise spammers could use grfcrawler to make bad or even illegal content public.

Thats why it says "Propose a new entry:" at the add screen.

PS: I added the fence and the EMU :wink:
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Maybe you should have two different link fields: "Download" for the direct link to the download file, and "Info/Website" for a link to the set's website or page (if there is one).

I hope you'll include an automated program to check for dead links too. That was a horrible pain with the Savegame repository, everything is dead now. I wish Owen would finish the new version....
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Hmm, well, I have just over a week until I go back to school. In theory, that should be plenty of time to get some work done on it, if I can persuade myself to do it... [EDIT: Hmm, I've actually done a bit more work than I thought on my local version of it. Maybe it won't be too hard to get working to a certain extent...]

(I also need to tidy my room. It really is a mess!)
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Sorry folks, I am a bit (not able to work on pcs) ill and couldn't / can't work on grfcrawler, I will try my best...
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

eis_os wrote:I am a bit (not able to work on pcs) ill
That would be more than "a bit" ill, IMO. I hope you feel better soon. (and/or "I'm glad you are feeling better," as appropriate.)

@orudge: Can you see your floor? If so, then I can state with certainty that your room is cleaner than some I've seen. (Literally. You *could* *not* *see* the floor in the bedroom/livingroom area of this particular efficiency. I don't remember the state of the bathroom or kitchen.)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

I suggest to use 300x125 as a big image for default, and to allow the size up to 300x200
Image Image Image Image
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

I can hold out my headaches currently, so I added Michaels pics.
To Born Acorn:
I have added your New Factory, but please a) create a small download page, I don't like linking directly to zip files, this will make homepage checks A LOT slower in the future, and send me at least a 75x75 pixel image or a bigger one.

George:
For what do you want bigger images?
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

eis_os wrote:For what do you want bigger images?
300x125 is the size me and Michael Blunk use for news. It would be handy to use them and not to create new ones
Image Image Image Image
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Ohh, if you want to add a bunch of GRFs please inform me...

And I will try to change it to 300x200 pixel...
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

eis_os wrote:Ohh, if you want to add a bunch of GRFs please inform me...
I'm trying :) to add my GRFs.
eis_os wrote:And I will try to change it to 300x200 pixel...
Ok.
Image Image Image Image
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Please tell me how many you want to add, I will try to make it a bit easier, looks like you will try to add 10 grfs? :D
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

eis_os wrote:Please tell me how many you want to add, I will try to make it a bit easier, looks like you will try to add 10 grfs? :D
23 grfs.
And would you add the ability to change submitted info?
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”