New South Wales Rail Set[Testers Needed!]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Would you support the changing of the set to NSWGR? See Post.

Yes
68%
No
9%
Uncertain
23%

Total votes: 94

BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

robotboy, you are incorrect. I decided that this set should stay standard gauge for the moment simply for the fact that standard gauge is the most widely used gauge in australia.
Last edited by BobDendry on 05 Nov 2005 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
ajy170
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ajy170 »

Does it really matter what gauge a certain train runs on? TTD isn't exactly what you would call a "realistic" game, so why not just put all Australian stuff on standard gauge? At least until OpenTTD allows for more types of rail then 3.

I mean honestly, does it matter if its ment to be narrow and its running on standard? Who hasn't gone through loco and duplicated most of the files and then changed one to narrow for when you have a few montains and you want a rack rail?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

ajy170 wrote:At least until OpenTTD allows for more types of rail then 3.
Thats assuming people here play OpenTTD. Infact, somthing allong those lines would render AusSet incompatible with TTDPatch, which would be a very bad move for the set.

What has to be decided if Narrow Guage is to be implemented, is which one you can live without. Electrified Narrow Guage? Or Electrified Standard Guage?.

Narrow Guage can be implemented in TTDPatch via newgrf easilly and realisticly, several sets already do it quite well. But there are some limitations.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing this being a NSWGR set, to start with, and then using some of the stock, and grabbing other stuff from around Oz, and making a AU-Wide set too. I think we've got too much NSW stock done now to try and change things dramatically.

That said, I think it would do us justice to have two sets, one after this one that uses the whole of Oz.

The main problem I see, is that the states are so independant, that they all have such similar stock in terms of gameplay. All the major steam locomotives from each state are very similar in TTD terms.

Ehhh...
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Kajifox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kajifox »

I like that idea, Raichase... Hm. Is it possible to integrate the two just a little, add a second list and start? Or will that be too much to manage?

I'm getting anxious! I love the idea of helping out with this. Hitachis! Taits! Maybe Comengs instead of Hitachis! Maybe not! The S-class! Mmm.
Kajifox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kajifox »

I dunno. Victoria focussed on Diesel heavily, and New South Wales focussed on electric gear -- WA has more American-based gear than us, we tried to make express trains early on ... Plus, we've got the best 'weird' stuff. I mean hell, the "Old R class", that looked straight out of the Wild West! the Belgian R class which .. well, looked French!

New South Wales had a regimen to it's steam locomotives -- which, while practical -- meant that everything was an evolution of what came before.

We had ... enterprising purchasers, you could say, who bought everything from locomotives made in Ballarat to locomotives made in Glasgow.

And whilst New South Wales realised that the reign of steam was coming to an end -- we kept buying steam stuff. Even though we had the first of our diesel stuff. And it was cheaper to run.

Yeah.

Long live the R-class!
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Kajifox wrote:I like that idea, Raichase... Hm. Is it possible to integrate the two just a little, add a second list and start? Or will that be too much to manage?
That would be up to WhiteHand, as project leader (head honcho, commander, cheif, master of all things AU-CHU-CHU, whatever you want to call him). If he some spare vehicle slots avaliable.

Hell, as soon as this set is done, you could start a thread, and start getting ideas, looking for people interested in drawing, and find a coder. It's still a way off, but you could start looking at trains and stuff.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by coalroads artist »

KajiFox, I think the set has good enough mix of interstate units (even if they are derivatives of each other BL,CL,DL,L,C etc).Also there are DMUs-cph,620/720,900,xplorer,hunter car etc (i have thought of prospector new/old).With narrow gauge IMO the maglev should be converted to narrow to complement standard gauge set after it is complete as secondary lines with units like AB/1720/C17 etc.
I have talked to Pikabird about starting a QR set after my hands are free with this set.It will be based on desert scenario with aussie graphics to simulate savannah grasslands and rainforest covered hills and some elevated houses :)
Also been praticing a little coding as i understand it better now through my elec engineer course learning C and assembler language for pics.
Original AUSSET graphics artist.
-Mr squiggle was my mentor!
Tracking table-Ausset
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

coalroads artist wrote:I have talked to Pikabird about starting a QR set after my hands are free with this set.
I've actually been working on a tropic replacement set (a-la the UKRS and NARS) based on QR. All shall be revealed soon. :o
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

PikkaBird wrote:
coalroads artist wrote:I have talked to Pikabird about starting a QR set after my hands are free with this set.
I've actually been working on a tropic replacement set (a-la the UKRS and NARS) based on QR. All shall be revealed soon. :o
/me rolls around kicking and screaming.

SO THATS IT! I KNEW YOU WERE UP TO SOMTHING!
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

PikkaBird wrote:
Bloody Marvelous!
ImageImage
Peteza
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Peteza »

PikkaBird wrote:
/me jumps up and down :D
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

PikkaBird wrote:
\o\ /o/ \o\ /o/

Sounds Awesome! :D
ajy170
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ajy170 »

PikkaBird wrote:
This is what I have been waiting for :D :D Can't wait to see this 8)
Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

Hi PikkaBird

Joy, thats all i canl say :!:
A set based on my home state of Queensland, wow. I wanna help, i could research if you need it. :idea:
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Sorry to spill the beens :) I would like to draw 1720/C17 and i have tilts covered but thats only if you would like them as it is your home states railway system 8) .
The 81 corrected fully and start on 81/G.
Attachments
BL-NR/steelink/ G-Vline
BL-NR/steelink/ G-Vline
81newblg.png (5.02 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
Tracking table-Ausset
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

coalroads artist wrote:Sorry to spill the beens :) I would like to draw 1720/C17
I actually have both those locos already drawn. :oops:

My set is CC, generic-ish TTD style though. So if you've drawn locos more prototypical, perhaps there's room for two sets? :)
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

PikkaBird wrote:
coalroads artist wrote:Sorry to spill the beens :) I would like to draw 1720/C17
I actually have both those locos already drawn. :oops:

My set is CC, generic-ish TTD style though. So if you've drawn locos more prototypical, perhaps there's room for two sets? :)
Perhaps done as a parameter, like Michael did with his Temperate Renewal Set, way back in the day?
ImageImage
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Adjustments on the 82/90.The cabs were to high.I have been mucking around with containers and i'am happy with thier positions.I havn't been completly idle.Here are the 20 ft containers, i will be adding to the wagons.Can anyone recognise some of the logos?
Attachments
20ft,tanktainers,tarpurlin carriers
20ft,tanktainers,tarpurlin carriers
rereadypower.png (6.17 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
Tracking table-Ausset
ajy170
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ajy170 »

Nope, sorry i can't make anything out, but good job still :D