New South Wales Rail Set[Testers Needed!]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Would you support the changing of the set to NSWGR? See Post.

Yes
68%
No
9%
Uncertain
23%

Total votes: 94

mdhowe
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mdhowe »

ttdx_artist wrote:Here's a tasty treat... who can tell me what this is?
Sweet. That's the Spirit of Progress, right? It looks awesome, good job.
"Set fashion, not follow. Spit vitriol, not swallow" - Marilyn Manson
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Thats exactly what I said.

:)

Yeah, it does look good actually, have you managed to get any other views one? I like the colours, anyway ;).
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Lightglobe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Lightglobe »

ttdx_artist wrote:
Lightglobe wrote:Yeah but DanMacK, your weird.
hmmm, ok... i love this forum... everyone is so friendly! LMFAO! :lol:
Haha, two quick facts about me that needs to be understood; I'm a cynical b****** and I'm almost never serious. Me and DanMacK always used to talk about doing an Aussie set on IRC, but he was always to busy on other sets and I was always to busy with school.

Also, looking at the preview, apparently they don't like b******. YAY for censorship(sorry, in a really bad mood about censorship because of Australian censorship rules and a conversation I had with my friend)
Yarr, thar princess is in 'nother castle!

[16:28] <marcf> lol cant u comine ttd and ottd
[16:29] <marcf> (please don't take me seriously)
ttdx_artist
Banned Troll

Post by ttdx_artist »

i'm just working on the other views now, but boy did that take a long time to get the colour right, i had so much trounle trying to keep it away from company colours... and i saw Zetors hat! LMFAO :lol: , is that a hat? it looks more like a birds nest... have a look at the link to the garratts on the other page too, i need your advice on my drawing, the link has heaps of pics to compare it to. I won't draw the other sides until i get feedback, because i don't want to spent age's drawing it, and everyone say it's s***.
jabberwalkee_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by jabberwalkee_ »

I'd be glad to help.....particularly with a new climate.

As for the guage issue is it really that important?
ttdx_artist
Banned Troll

Post by ttdx_artist »

jabberwalkee_ wrote:As for the guage issue is it really that important?
Yes, most definately important, each state has their own loading guages, and they are enough to tell the difference in TTD. And since we have the ability to do it, we might as well replace the monrail and maglev track with something more realistic and useable. And it would look very silly having the wrong rollingstock behind your loco. And it will give you a fair selection at the start of the game: do you go for the cheaper and more common Standard guage, or do you pay the little extra for Narrow Gauge to ensure a great railway in the future?!? So really there is 3 sets in 1, all useable at the same time :wink: !!!
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

what is the benefit of narrow gauge, expept that it is more realistic then Maglev
ttdx_artist
Banned Troll

Post by ttdx_artist »

Narrow Gauge has a higher/wider/longer loading guage in australia (i don't know the logic behind it, it just is) and a 'bigger' loading gauge means more capacity for goods in each vehicle... and standard gauge companies basically stopped production of loco's in about 1982, since then only 5 new locos have been designed and built, everyone has just been buying and selling companies and lines everywhere, but as for Narrow Gauge, it has been very stable (industry wise) and there has been about 2 new locos every year since the late 80's... so in the long run, Narrow Gauge is a better 'future' opening option, but standard gauge at the start is very user friendly, with many locos and vehicles to choose from, so it fits well with a Stratigic Player and a Stuff About (cheat signs) player!
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

jabberwalkee_ wrote:I'd be glad to help.....particularly with a new climate.
Thanks. We appreciate any help we can get.
Formerly known as Lachie
Lightglobe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Lightglobe »

The problem though ttdx_artist is that you only have three different rail types in-game. This means you can't do both non-electric and electric rails for both gauges. It would be cool and all, but personal opinion is that it just causes to many problems for us.

Only have 3 more tests in the HSC then I can start on learning nfo coding and help with the set. Also, we need to start keeping a running tab on trains done, and who is doing what(second isn't so important at the moment since ttdx_artist is the only person drawing at the moment(or at least i think so)).

ttdx_artist
Banned Troll

Post by ttdx_artist »

[quote="Lightglobe"]The problem though ttdx_artist is that you only have three different rail types in-game. This means you can't do both non-electric and electric rails for both gauges. [quote]

hmmm... i see where your coming from, but, in aus, where other than the south east coast of queensland is there an electrified main line... nowhere... it's all city suburban trains, and the percentage of electrics in the set is about 5%, if i was going to bother about electric rails, i would be thinking about making coal bunkers on the depots for the steamers... it isn't worth the time and effort to do electrification, plus we'd have to draw our own new one's, cause the euro one's that are available aren't the same as aussie ones... i might make the narrow gauge line electrified because of a higher percentage of electrics on that gauge.

And there is three gauge's not two... i just haven't mentioned broad gauge that much because it is so similar to the properties of standard gauge.
Lightglobe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Lightglobe »

ttdx_artist wrote:other than the south east coast of queensland is there an electrified main line... nowhere... it's all city suburban trains
True. Well, I'm sure we will have plenty of time to work it out. What we really need at the moment is more artist to get more drawing done.

jabberwalkee_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by jabberwalkee_ »

in TTD before the patch no-one cared about electrified and non-electrified track so im sure we can ignore the discrepancy.

Call me stupid......but in QLD we have tracks that have 3 bits of metal in some places........what is that?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

You mean third-rail tracks? The third is electrified.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
ttdx_artist
Banned Troll

Post by ttdx_artist »

No, the third rail is not electrified, that is a massive danger hazard, think about it? Where abouts in QLD do you live, if you live in the brisbane area, that third rail is Dual Gauge, if you measure the width between the long side of the rails, you will find that the third rail is NSW Standard Gauge, this means that rather than make a new line for the NSW Express', they can run them both on the same track. This has been done in many places in Australia to save money, In Aulbury they have a mixture of Broad and Standard on 2 Platform Roads, and in some parts of South Australia they have a mixture of Narrow and Broad gauge, i hope that answers your question.
mdhowe
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mdhowe »

ttdx_artist wrote:In Aulbury they have a mixture of Broad and Standard on 2 Platform Roads
I have to say it; it is spelt ALBURY. And did you know that platform is (or once was?)the longest covered platform in the southern hemisphere because of the changeover.
"Set fashion, not follow. Spit vitriol, not swallow" - Marilyn Manson
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

NSWR graphics

Post by coalroads artist »

I have had a go at reskinning some parts of the DBsetxl but could easily redraw them if needed.Would be great to become part of Australian developement thread or even a NSW set.I will try to post an image of some of my work.Completed a stardard 38 class in black,35,36 class,CPH in cream and green,620/720 railcars,44,48 in tuscan/reverse/candy and have done a RUB,FO and FS sets and also a NGTY wheat hopper.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NSWR graphics

Post by Prof. Frink »

coalroads artist wrote:I have had a go at reskinning some parts of the DBsetxl but could easily redraw them if needed.
That will be needed. MB does not like people editing his graphics and re-releasing them.
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Looks like things are starting to pick up a bit. I'm working on the website, but it won't be up for atleast a couple of days.
Formerly known as Lachie
ttdx_artist
Banned Troll

Post by ttdx_artist »

[quote="mdhowe/]I have to say it; it is spelt ALBURY. And did you know that platform is (or once was?)the longest covered platform in the southern hemisphere because of the changeover.[/quote]

yeh, i knew that, who doesn't...

and coal roads artist, post your locos on this forum as a png file, i'll have a look at them and see if we can "copy" your drawings, and make them a little more original, otherwise MB will crack this s*** and get up us. But otherwise, it sounds great, and welcome aboard, if you dont already have the list, it should either be on page 2 or 3 of this forum, downlaod it and see if theres something there you can draw, also, i have a streamlined C38 on file, so we can compare locos and make your Standard one closer to mine (or visa-versa).

Return to “Graphics Development”