AXIS - Another eXtreme Industry Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

MLG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: XIS - Extreme Industry Set

Post by MLG »

JGR wrote: 06 May 2021 17:56 I just generated a subtropical map with XIS and some random map generation settings and got a liquid terminal just fine.
Industry placement is the same as upstream. If placement is too difficult this is probably because the GRF sets overly cumbersome constraints on placement.
Somebody in the patch pack thread has pointed me to some picture, where is similar industry's placement from FIRS 3 described. That actually helped me to manually place them in scenario editor to prepared places at coast, because naturally generated coasts are way too noisy for something requiring 5-6 straight tiles and several tiles into sea/lake. (BTW, is there something to regulate coast noisiness?)
Problem might actually be beside noisy coasts, that I set lakes to 1%, since there is usually not a lot of them in the middle of desert. :D I have seen the terminals are generating for me in lakes mainly, I think this is because of too noisy coasts again, so I would like to fix that...
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.
MLG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MLG »

Hi,
I got an idea for XIS: Power plant would accept "batteries" and produce new cargo "charged batteries". This cargo would be same cargo class as "batteries" and will be delivered to shops, hotel and petrol station. Those industries will after delivery produce a bit of existing "batteries" as cargo to be transported for example back to the power plant. Do not confuse it with Toyland batteries. They are not designed that big, just as big as you know them from real life.
What do you all think?
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

That... is not how batteries or power plants work.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Battery's go to recycle centre , recycle centre produce scrap metal , Electronic plant produce batteries ?
MLG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MLG »

Taschi wrote: 29 May 2021 12:47 That... is not how batteries or power plants work.
I...I know that, I just wanted something playable and transportable by normal trains, not fancy railtype/roadtype/tramtype only for electricity. When imagining that I put both sinle use and charged multi-use batteries as "batteries" for playable industry chain. Imagine if you charged batteries at power plant, not at home. This is not game about 100% realism, but about transporting of stuff.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Yeah, but electricity really isn't something you can "transport" in the sense that Transport Tycoon uses the word, so if this is the best compromise for having Electricity as a product in-game, personally I'd rather just not have Electricity as a product in-game. The way you proposed to handle it just seems goofy to me - no offense.
PointsCarlos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PointsCarlos »

How about adding a glass industries ? I mean specialize from current glass works, instead of generating parts and packaging, Glass work should purely generate glass ONLY

Then glass can also be accepted by Assembly Plant or Manufacturing Plant as usual to produce goods and vehicles , also the furniture plant.
Then glass can also send to mirror factory to produce mirror( in terms of goods), then send them to houses
All in all the citizens need to know how they look like :D
trexxet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by trexxet »

Finished a 1900-2025 playthrough with xUSSR set, very cool!
I think XIS may have an option for setting a maximal processing industry spawn distance from towns - something alike is done in Improved Town Industries. Factories in the middle of Siberia are kinda weird :?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

XIS has finally been updated with some new translations:

Czech by MLG
German by Phidi
Japanese by Azusa257
Chinese (Simplified) by Aunt Su

edit: the Czech translation has been fixed, please redownload if you use that language
Download the latest version here: https://github.com/EmperorJake/XIS/blob ... s_9081.grf

If you would like to contribute translations, please make a pull request, thank you :)
julius_imperator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by julius_imperator »

Hi, any reason why some industries appear like in the screenshot attached?
Attachments
Untitled.png
(357.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Looks like you broke things by changing NewGRFs after the game was already running :)

If this isn't the case, please post your GRF list, there might be an incompatibility.
julius_imperator
Engineer
Engineer

It is actually from the scenario editor since I was building a scenario. It's my first so I learned later about the problems in adding and renewing grfs. Likely it is due to the option 1 (I messed up a bit with newgrf and scripts...). However you can see the grf list attached.
Attachments
grf.png
grf.png (26.09 KiB) Viewed 105547 times
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

That'll be your problem, changing GRFs in the scenario editor is the same as changing them in a running game.

Changing GRFs can be done safely if you know what you're doing, however industry GRFs are one of the things you don't want to mess with. Safest option is to start a fresh map with the GRFs carefully chosen beforehand. Alternatively you could demolish every industry on your current map and it might work correctly afterwards. Absolutely no guarantees though :twisted:
julius_imperator
Engineer
Engineer

Thank you, therefore no way to fix it without starting the scenario from scratch. Last question: could those industries and the overall scenario be working in any case regardless of the missing graphics of those 3-4 industries? The only industries appearing in that way are assembly plant, manufacturing plant, tyre plant and wharf. All the other industries appear properly
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

If your industries are broken like that, the save is unstable and will likely eventually crash. It's a lot more than just missing graphics and I wouldn't risk it.

I speak from experience from over a decade ago, I unsafely upgraded FIRS and had the same exact problem you did and eventually the game started crashing so much the map became unplayable.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Emperor Jake wrote: 28 Aug 2021 13:54 If your industries are broken like that, the save is unstable and will likely eventually crash. It's a lot more than just missing graphics and I wouldn't risk it.
From my experience, it is (usually) relatively safe to change existing newgrf if its entities were not used.
For example, I didn't experienced problems with swapping vehicle newgrfs in scenario, but lot of glitches if swapped in game save.
But in case of industry or house set, obviously its entities already exist in scenario, so no go.
Therefore I created patch for importing things into scenario from txt file, for fast and fail-safe creation of updated scenario version, see sig.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Emperor Jake wrote: 22 Aug 2021 04:10 XIS has finally been updated with some new translations:

Czech by MLG
German by Phidi
Japanese by Azusa257
Chinese (Simplified) by Aunt Su
This has now been pushed to Bananas, it seems I forgot earlier :)
Svensson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Svensson »

Hi there,

I'm Sven, a forum newbie, but playing OpenTTD casually for two years now. Most maps i play are with the XIS Industry Set & JGR Patch Pack.
Regarding NewGRF modding i am also a total noob.

I downloaded the current xis sources from github an tried to compile them myself. After some time setting up the needed packages for compiling under a live linux mint session, i got it finally to run. But i get a error message from nmlc which i can't find an answer to, neither in this forum, nor via google. So i ask here for help.

This is the error >> "Temporary registers from 128 to 255 are reserved for NML's internal calculations."
the full terminal message:

Code: Select all

mint@mint /media/mint/Data/XIS-main $ make
python3.5 src/render_nml.py '9081' '0.0' '' ''
[RENDER NML] render nml
2.09s
nmlc -c -l generated/lang --grf=generated/xis_9081.grf generated/firs.nml
 nmlc ERROR: "generated/firs.nml", line 7394: Temporary registers from 128 to 255 are reserved for NML's internal calculations.
Makefile:96: recipe for target 'generated/xis_9081.grf' failed
make: *** [generated/xis_9081.grf] Error 1
my comiler environment is this:

Code: Select all

mint@mint /media/mint/Data/XIS-main $ nmlc --version
unknown

nmlc: /usr/local/bin/nmlc
LZ77 implementation: C (native)

Library versions encountered:
  PIL: 7.2.0
  PLY: 3.7

Python: /usr/bin/python3
version 3.5.2 (default, Nov 17 2016, 17:05:23) 
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609]
What do i want to achieve?
I really don't like the look of the farm fields and i prefer to place my own version with objects from AuzFarms. I didn't find any grf or setting to disable them so i hoped i could edit the spec_flags='bitmask(IND_FLAG_PLANT_FIELDS_PERIODICALLY, IND_FLAG_PLANT_FIELDS_WHEN_BUILT)' in the source files and compile a version for myself.

Will this way even work??? ?(
Does anyone know what it wrong and can point me to a solution?

THANKS! :bow:
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Svensson wrote: 16 Oct 2021 08:31 What do i want to achieve?
I really don't like the look of the farm fields and i prefer to place my own version with objects from AuzFarms.
The farm fields are not part of the industry itself so they can be deleted and replaced with the objects you want to use.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Svensson wrote: 16 Oct 2021 08:31 What do i want to achieve?
I really don't like the look of the farm fields and i prefer to place my own version with objects from AuzFarms. I didn't find any grf or setting to disable them so i hoped i could edit the spec_flags='bitmask(IND_FLAG_PLANT_FIELDS_PERIODICALLY, IND_FLAG_PLANT_FIELDS_WHEN_BUILT)' in the source files and compile a version for myself.
Emperor Jake is not only an emperor, he is omniscient. He predicted your need and three months ago forked XIS with a "No Fields" version. :)

https://github.com/EmperorJake/XIS/tree/noFields

Return to “Graphics Development”