Industries of the Caribbean

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

2TallTyler
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Industries of the Caribbean

Post by 2TallTyler »

supplies.png
supplies.png (106.24 KiB) Viewed 755 times
Industries of the Caribbean is an experimental industry/economy mod which aims to radically rethink the OpenTTD economy by breaking common design patterns and reclaiming “useless” features to add interesting gameplay.

To briefly summarize:
  • Sub-tropical climate, inspired by the economy of Cuba
  • Only exported cargos earn money. You have to pay for imported cargos.
  • Industries need workers
  • Ships are no longer useless
  • It's now possible (and relatively easy) to mismanage your company into bankruptcy, even in the late game :shock:
Read the rather lengthy gameplay guide and my design notes on GitHub.

The industry set is currently in beta and available on BaNaNaS. It currently uses placeholder sprites and I probably screwed up a variety of balancing issues despite my spreadsheets and hours upon hours of testing. My aim in opening it for testing is for others to help identify these shortcomings, so I can correct them and create new sprites in time for a 1.0 release by the end of 2021. Send me your feedback! :)

You will also need the latest version of Improved Town Layouts, also available on BaNaNaS.
odisseus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Industries of the Caribbean

Post by odisseus »

The cargo payment rates seem to be broken. A single bus that carries workers across 30 tiles somehow earns hundreds of millions per trip.
San Juan Transport, Mar 11th, 1953.png
San Juan Transport, Mar 11th, 1953.png (32.33 KiB) Viewed 603 times
Attachments
San Juan Transport, Mar 13th, 1953.sav
(93.98 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
McZapkie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by McZapkie »

odisseus wrote: 13 Jul 2021 02:16 The cargo payment rates seem to be broken. A single bus that carries workers across 30 tiles somehow earns hundreds of millions per trip.
I suspect money laundering here, like this infamous Escobar's taxi ;)
2TallTyler
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by 2TallTyler »

odisseus wrote: 13 Jul 2021 02:16 The cargo payment rates seem to be broken. A single bus that carries workers across 30 tiles somehow earns hundreds of millions per trip.
San Juan Transport, Mar 11th, 1953.png
Inflation doesn't seem to like negative cargo payment rates. I'll open an issue on GitHub. In the meantime, I've added a fatal error to 0.1.1 which disables the grf with a warning if inflation is enabled.

Thanks for the report. :)
2TallTyler
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by 2TallTyler »

I've released 0.1.2, which tightens up import/export production rates for several cargos (Food, Imported Oil, Fertilizer, and Machinery) to require exporting more upstream cargos like Tourists and Coffee.

Assuming a station rating of 70%, you should have 125% to 150% of the cargo required for maximum production, allowing for some inefficiencies in distribution while still providing challenging and engaging gameplay.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello 2TallTyler,

I'm trying this GRF and it looks like promising.

I have too small suggestions, that could be added as parameters.

First one is about secondary industries. You say in the documentation no secondary industry is generated, and at the begining it's good. But after a while, what about generating some secondary industries? In my opinion it's better to generate rather than fund : with funding, the player can decide how many and where will be the industries. I don't like it. I prefer challenge of an industry that is far from the other, of in a hilly country rather than creating big industrial zones around cities by example. Generation could depend of some goals and restrictions such as population limit for owner city, distance from city, altitude, percentage of previous cargo transportation (by example first secondary industries spawn when 50% of world coffee is transported).

Second one, still about industries. Using a time-lapse as restriction for industries. By exemple, some industries should not appear before a certain fixed date (or after an count or years since the begining of the game). By this way, player should not be anoyed by many industries (nickel, sugarcane, etc.) he can't desserve, and they should spawn only after some time. Same for industries funding.
2TallTyler
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by 2TallTyler »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have intentionally avoiding industries spawning during gameplay (except for hotels, which I am not entirely satisfied with) for the simple reason that my industries don't close. This means that I can't allow the game to manage the number of industries, and would need to write, test, and balance my own code to do this. One of my design goals was to allow light-traffic branch lines and/or truck routes, and having static industries (in number, location, and production level) helps make this possible.

Secondary industries are funded by the player because I want the player to make the placement decision based on other transport routes and the availability of a worker population nearby. One of my upcoming changes (once NML is updated to fix a unit conversion issue) is to make cargo payments independent on distance transported: just the quantity and value of the particular cargo. So it would behoove the player to transport things the shortest distance to make the maximum profit — the opposite of the current profit calculation. All this jives with my design goal to simulate a state-run economy, not just a transport company.

In summary, your suggestions are possible but would require substantial changes and testing and don't really fit my design goals. But the code is GPL3-licensed, so anyone can feel free to fork and make their own changes! It's actually quite a simple codebase — less than 2,600 lines of code at this moment.
nihues
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nihues »

I'm having a great time playing and testing.

But still using CargoDist it still behave problematic (but better than other industries with pax/worker concept) for a easy managment of workers.

Funding my first secondary industry endup getting really low workers (80/month) and a surplus of sugarcane, but production is fluctuacting ~30-60/month only, all worker lines are connected, cities, towns, primary and secondary industries.

So, could be possible to add another cargo like a "secondaryworkers" the same way as workers, but just to secondary industries?

That way I could let cargodist handle all the destinations, separating primary and secondary workers, at least without micromanaging and using manual transfers.

Return to “Graphics Development”