I'm glad to hear you like my grfs. I have a few things planned for existing newgrfs, mostly related to reskinning things.[/quote]
It's inspired me! I made a new Town Name grf with nearly all of the populated areas in NK that have rail service, I'm also trying to learn how to do the things related to building a scenario using heightmaps, and eventually I want to learn doing graphics stuff, too... like for track, later bridges, etc... but the map is my first project.
First: I balanced it against JapanSet. The running and purchase costs can be changed like so:
Variable running costs changes the running cost of coal and diesel based on the year, modelled after the change in coal and oil prices.
I jumped the gun a little with that comment... now that I've played it more extensively, I'd change my observation to saying that the running costs of the Keha and the DeRoHaNi (etc) are rather high; they're sorta too small to run alone, but to run a train of them gets really expensive.
In the Japan set (which is the only one I've played before this), you can make EMUs and DMUs longer by adding passenger cars, which then appear as cars appropriate to the trainset in particular... but I imagine that's not a really simple thing to do?
Second: I do not plan on adding other steamers, as they are very hard to make.
Okay. Maybe I'll look into seeing if it's a difficult thing to export a single locomotive from one set and import it into another set... so then if there's say a USATC S160 or a Soviet Ye class (they used lots of both of those!) or whatever, then I could at least add them to my own game/scenario.
Third: Yeah I couldn't really find anything on freight cars, so if you could DM that information to me, I could take a look and see what I can do.
Yeah, there's very little around in English, and not much more around in Korean or Japanese either, so I've had to scrounge together what I know through bits and pieces and seeing what I can glean from photos and random comments in texts etc...
I'll put something representative together and send it your way; I'll try to include some cars suitable for each cargo type and something old and something more modern.
In browsing things last night I discovered FIRS... how difficult would it be to make this set compatible with that? I'd love to incorporate that too, and if it's not too big a task, then I could send more car information to you...
Fourth: I'll see what I can do.
I'll include some brake van stuff for you, too.
I'd love to see some more Korean/DPRK buildings
Ooh, now you have me intrigued!
If I could make an observation/recommendation? An Immortality Column is essential, every town and village has one!
I have not been able to reproduce this bug. There are 3 types of carriages, the distribution of which should be: 4:3:1.
Ohhh, okay! Then looking now, I see that there's no bug at all! Those all show up just fine. I thought you were referring to different liveries - 2 or 3 years ago now, KJU issued a directive to modernise the appearance and operation of the railways, so since then they've been slowly repainting passenger equipment into new liveries, I've seen three variants so far - white with red window band, white with blue window band, and white with green window band... maybe these could be added as a future arrival? Like say have these show up at random from 2015 (like how in the Japan set at some point the Passenger Car and Mail Car change from brown to blue when you buy new ones).
Please don't take anything I say as demands or expectations... just excited wishes and suggestions and ideas!
Having said that, I'd like to make some observations about the locomotive types you've done...
* DFH - for consistency's sake with the other types, this should be named "KSR 900 Series (Diesel)"
* "KSR 100 Series (Diesel)" - The start year for these is 1976 in the game, but they were first built for China Railways in 1984, and the first ones for NK were delivered around 2000.
* "KSR 300 Series (Diesel)" - max speed in the game is 120 km/h; should be 100 km/h.
* "KSR 400 Series (Diesel)" - start year in the game is 1989, but these were delivered to NK in 2004. They are also all in a unique purple/green/yellow livery - I can send you pics if you like.
* "KSR 500 Series (Diesel)" - start year in the game is 1968, but the first deliveries to NK were in 1972.
* "K62 Class (Diesel)" - start year in the game is 1974, but should be 1967. Also, most of these have the 'standard' blue over green livery; the overall green scheme you put on the sprite is found only on the V200/ST44 bought second hand from Germany, Slovakia, Russia, and Poland from 1989 on (as 700 and 800 series).
* "Kumsong Class (Diesel)" - these are fine, but to reflect the reality, maybe you could make them significantly cheaper than the K62 Class (from which they were copied) but make their reliability significantly lower (maybe like 60%)...
* "KSR 5200 Series Red Flag 2 (Electric)" - a fair number of these were built as "Mangyongdae Class", with a cream over red livery, and geared for 140 km/h for fast passenger trains; if you don't want to make a new sprite for this, maybe you could just change the max speed to reflect this, and to give some variety?
* "KSR 5000 Series Red Flag 1 (Electric)" - if you feel like doing more sprites (or if I can learn to make them, the new graphics anyways), perhaps can add some of the newer (post-2000) liveries, like yellow/orange/wine red and pink/red, or the blue/red livery from the 1960s, and have them show up randomly (say a 1 in 8 chance for each?). I can send pics for reference if you want to do them, or I can try learning how to make the sprites myself...
Lastly... how difficult would it be to add "last year of availability"? I started a test game in 2050, and everything was still available... I thought maybe could make it so that some older types become unavailable after a certain year? If this is something you'd feel like implementing, I could make some suggestions...
Sorry if I'm throwing too much at you at once, but I'm really quite excited about this!