Slow down at stations

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Slow down at stations

Post by DominionSpy »

In real life, if a train is going non-stop though a station, it still generally slows down a bit. Could this be done with ttdpatch?

Maybe there could be different speeds depending on station type (when they are implemented). For example, a train probably wouldn't slow down for a checkpoint, and would slow down more in a passenger station than a cargo station.
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I like this idea. It does look a bit odd when an ICE-3 rolls straight into a terminus station at 300 odd km/hr, then stops in the last meter or two. Not a major thing (I'm used to it, just like no signals on bridges, and no longer depots etc), so I don't really mind what happens here ;)
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

indeed nice idea .... also this could be added to signals (so when train is too fast to stop then it can't stop at signal ... and ... kabooom) :mrgreen:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Yes, I think this would be a really good idea, although we shouldn't make it too slow as many trains do actually go through stations pretty fast when they're not stopping.
And I would think that it's at least sort of possible, as Oskar developed a similar feature for level crossings. :]
SHADOW-XIII wrote:indeed nice idea .... also this could be added to signals (so when train is too fast to stop then it can't stop at signal ... and ... kabooom) :mrgreen:
And then train crashes might actually happen unintentionally, as is the case in real life. :)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Oracle wrote:Yes, I think this would be a really good idea, although we shouldn't make it too slow as many trains do actually go through stations pretty fast when they're not stopping.
Perhaps there needs to be a distinction between trains stopping at a certain station and slowing down and trains just passing a station and slowing down. I think this can be done by reading the orders.
top_cat19
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by top_cat19 »

Yep. True.
Currently Playing: Image
My forums: My Forums
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Perhaps it would only slow down if it was using the new non-stop handing, and it would ignore stations that were not on it's orders list?
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

top_cat19 wrote:Yep. True.
Look, just stop it.

In phpBB 2.2 there's a feature called "user karma" that can be enabled if I wish. It lets people rate posts, and gives each user a "karma rating". You can set it up in your control panel so that posts are ignored from users with a karma rating lower than, say, 0. (You can still click a separate link to view the post). I think it might be useful with some of your posts. :roll:

Anyway, back to the subject in hand...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Raichase wrote:Perhaps it would only slow down if it was using the new non-stop handing, and it would ignore stations that were not on it's orders list?
Not to be mean but I thought I covered that too :roll: :oops: ...

Edit: I now think this reaction is quite unnecessairy. It doesn't really add to the subject.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Hyronymus wrote:
Raichase wrote:Perhaps it would only slow down if it was using the new non-stop handing, and it would ignore stations that were not on it's orders list?
Not to be mean but I thought I covered that too :roll: :oops: ...
Oh, sorry (no offense taken anyway ;)). I just was clarifying what you said, I'm sorry if it sounded like it was "my idea" (I should have quoted you. :)))

P.S. Owen? I like the idea of Karma posts (although I don't believe in real life karma...)
ImageImage
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

orudge wrote:
top_cat19 wrote:Yep. True.
Look, just stop it.

In phpBB 2.2 there's a feature called "user karma" that can be enabled if I wish. It lets people rate posts, and gives each user a "karma rating". You can set it up in your control panel so that posts are ignored from users with a karma rating lower than, say, 0. (You can still click a separate link to view the post). I think it might be useful with some of your posts. :roll:

Anyway, back to the subject in hand...

like the GameFAQs karma?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Don't know. ;) It's like the phpBB 2.2 karma - register there and have a poke around, and you'll find some posts hidden by the karma feature. Here for example:
This post was made by Roberdin whose karma rating of -1 is below your desired minimum. To display this post click HERE.

---

This post was made by Jaeboy whose karma rating of -2 is below your desired minimum. To display this post click HERE.
Anyway, this is off-topic here, back to the subject at hand...
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

it's a bit OFF TOPIC ..... anyway I'm waiting when someone from PatchDevTeam say somthing to this genius idea
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:I'm waiting when someone from PatchDevTeam say somthing to this genius idea [boldface mine]
Aw shucks - you're making me all embarresed now. :oops:

But seriously
If it didn't slow down at stations not on its list, then it would be passing through stations at full speed - which doesn't seem realistic.

I think that the train should slow down for all stations no matter whether they are on its list or not.
To do this, the handling would probably be separate from the non-stop handling.

If the station is a stop on the list, then it is different. Maybe it should slow down smoothly from when it enters the station to when it stops.

Sorry - I've just realised this post is slightly 'bitty'.
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I'm not sure if Dutch trains slow down in stations where they don't top.
I believe not.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

I know Sydney trains don't but then again we don't have high speed trains (none really go over 60km/hr in the city). I can imagine it would be quite unsettling to have a train scream through a station at 300 something km per hour.
ImageImage
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I wanna remind you that with Patch trains can 'see' if they will stop at station or will not (check how it looks like with Non-Stop) so if they would not stop then they would not slow ... simple
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Although if track speed limits are introduced, then surely a speed limit could be introduced for stations?
ImageImage
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Arathorn wrote:I'm not sure if Dutch trains slow down in stations where they don't top.
I believe not.
They aren't allowed to pass on full speed but from whitnessing I have my doubts if that rule still rules. They may not pass 'dwergseinen' (dwarf singnals) at more than 40 km/h.
Zooz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Zooz »

Arathorn wrote:I'm not sure if Dutch trains slow down in stations where they don't top.
I believe not.
I think they just blast through. I've never seen them slow down.

Return to “Suggestions”