How to tell what I think of suggestions

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

How to tell what I think of suggestions

Post by Patchman »

From now on, I'll only post in a suggestion thread here if a suggestion went into my to-do list, or if I'm considering to do so pending some discussion.

If I don't post any reply in this forum, it shall be understood that I consider the suggestion either impossible, far too difficult or not worth the amount of work compared to the benefit. Because from experience, the impossible suggestions are the most common here, I only post for the few that I find which can actually be done in a limited amount of time.

Or it could be that I don't reply because it's in the to-do list already. You'll never know which! Muahahaha!

Actually, I think I'll publish my latest, unedited to-do list in the source code site. You can from now on find the latest list at http://www.ttdpatch.net/src/todonow.txt

It has the headings "very urgent", "rather urgent", "not so urgent" and "not in to-do list". After that is the changelog. Usually I just move a to-do item to the changelog after I do actually do implement it. Just in case you're wondering...

Very urgent entries are likely to make it into the currently developed version of the patch. All crashes and all serious bugs are listed here.

Rather urgent entries are likely to be developed soon, whether for the current version or one soon after. All the remaining not-quite-so-serious bugs are listed here.

Not so urgent is something that I consider useful and not too hard to do, but I don't currently plan to spend any time on it.

Not in to-do list are things that I once considered doing, but now there are either better ways to do this, or I found out that it's a lot more complicated than I thought and can't be done after all.

Note that Csaba, Marcin and Oskar probably all have their own to-do lists, so just because I won't implement a feature doesn't necessarily mean it won't get done :)

Similarly, just because a feature is on the list won't mean it'll actually get done, or get done any time soon. There are far too many features to develop and I have far too little time. Usually I decide what to do on a whim or if I get a sudden inspiration that makes it seem really easy.

If I post that I'll consider implementing a feature here, I may or may not mention the priority. If I don't, it'll probably go into "not so urgent". But check the next update to be sure.

Todonow.txt will be updated every time a new version is posted, alpha, beta or release.
Last edited by Patchman on 01 Sep 2003 05:29, edited 3 times in total.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

That's clear :wink:
Can the other devs post their todo-list ???
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

I could, but on my todo list are some really impossible changes too,
and I don't want to show my other ideas :)

Some entires I have:

Eyecandy (This needs a lot of time)
Finish transparent station signs.
Mostly GUI work:
Some new GUI for several TTDPatch features...
A little Creditsscreen for TTDPatch :D

Some things I want to do:
Different speed limits with eyecandy...
Look for how Hajo makes powerlines. (I don't think it's possible with TTD but who knows)

No feature requests here!
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

Hi! I've just noticed this topic because of my rare and short internet-access.

I don't have a to-do list, I usually look at Joseph's and if there's something that I think I could implement, I start working on it. (Sorted vehicle lists for example) The other possiblity is that I suddenly have a good idea about a feature and I try to implement it ( once when I was playing TTD, I just realized how it annoys me that I can't see whose train is involved in a crash, because all vehicles are grey in the newspaper, so I wrote colorednews...) And it also depends on my free time of course.

Currently I don't have any ideas that I find important and I can handle, too, so I just try to find bugs.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Hello again

If you are curious about the things I want to do then go to my website:
http://www.bytetransfer.de/projects/ttdpatch/

-splitted side discussion-
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

- too much diesel smoke when train is slowed down by bridge speed limit
Just had a look at your to do list, and i don't know if my opinion matters, but i kinda like all that smoke..

Return to “Suggestions”