station traffic counter.

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

glimmer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

station traffic counter.

Post by glimmer »

ok last idea(today)
is it possible that stations have (maybe next to or under name(preferably or mouse over.)... or in the right click section)... a figure that represents the number of trains that use that station... maybe determined by how many trains have an order to go to that station... and hence then you would be able to tell the traffic on any one particular track and how better to manage the network too combat speed/congestion
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I agree with you, but I think that is adding something new, which is impossible. Also, how would it be counted? Number of trains last month? last year? since construction?

There would be so many different types of counting that could be done if it was possible. I like the idea of having all the trains that have orders to go to that station.

Perhaps it could be an addition to the stations menu?

Code: Select all

"Senfingway-On-Sea" "PS" "ML"  "20 trains"
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
glimmer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by glimmer »

yah thats what i mean if u create a train and give it an order to go to thatr station... then that station will increase the number of trains coming to it by 1. mainly by orders...
but i spose if its possible it wouldnt hurt to know how many trains the station is receiving per month or 3... so u know when u make track changes whether or not through put has increased:) but i got a feelign that would be very hard to do. espcially if u get one of those stupid trains that doesnt like oging out the correct exit and would mmess up the stats.

then u just need to make it that if a station appears in the waypoints twice then it is only counted once...
unless they can make a distinction between like east bound and west bound... but i think that might be getting abit complicated :P

but i got a feeeling its possible might just take abit of work....

correction anythings possible, just takes time and money eheeh:)
two things i aprreciate not everyone has to burn:):(
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Seeing as we're in memory trouble already, I doubt it'll be possible...
For every GUI change, eis_os has been removing tooltips and other things that are not really important. It's all because there's a shortage in available memory that's been allocated to TTD when it was first made...

Does that make sense? I really don't understand my own story myself :roll:
Last edited by GoneWacko on 14 Aug 2003 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Sense? I wouldn't know, I was distracted by your avatar :lol:

Seriously: It makes a little sense - we are running out of room in the patch or in TTD to put in new ctuff because Microprose never thought htat TT would be patched so much and so well, so we can't afford to put in silly little things that don't affect gameplay.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Well that definately sums up what I heard in #tycoon from eis_os himself :)
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

ehm, yep :)
And you have think about the cost of time and the gameplay enhancement effect. (And mostly TTDPatch Dev's are working for their own benefit of gameplay, so they are sometimes like granite if you suggestion things doesn't make "sense" :D )
glimmer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by glimmer »

the idea makes sense doesnt it?!...

is it possible to allocate more memory to the program or si that too hard?
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

I'd give up on the idea... It won't provide enough benifit to warrant spending the time on it.
ImageImage
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I read the Josef is fixing the Patch to be able to support lots more sprites. Logically, wouldn't this mean that he was extending the game to allow for more memory?

Something that might have the same effect, and be easier to do, would be to alter the function of the button on the map that shows tracks and roads. It's not very useful just now. Maybe you could fix it so that it showed tracks, roads, and stations in a color-scheme based on how heavily they were used. I think RRT had something like this.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
glimmer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by glimmer »

good idea but i dont think i would be able to tell the difference between the different shades of red once all my track have hit a highload:)
plus i think thats only trains on it at a time... what i was really after was seeing how many trains where passing thourgh and stopping at each station...
but i can see your point as that would be plausable given more sprites
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

krtaylor wrote:I read the Josef is fixing the Patch to be able to support lots more sprites. Logically, wouldn't this mean that he was extending the game to allow for more memory?
There are differences in static "code" memory and run-time allocated memory, sprites(runtime) aren't hardcoded like code, gui windows or tables how a town building is shown ...

For static things read this post, it will explain it simple:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... ght=#96000
Big Mad Tony
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Big Mad Tony »

I'm going out on a whim here, but shouldn't it be possible because we got the "goods, food and water" thing as well in towns?
Person man, person man - hit on the head with a frying pan.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

It is my personal belief that, for the forseeable future, the limiting factor in Patch capabilities is not so much a limit of memory, but limits on the time and resources available to the Patch team. I hope and suspect that by the time the Patch team really and truly smash into the End of the Line as far as memory, there will be some other workaround available.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
glimmer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by glimmer »

yah thats true... hopefully they will be able to write more memory to the game somehow in the future but until them they are gonna have to keep goign the way they are and proiritise the good ideas from the crap ones based on theior own and public opinion if they wish to include that... [quote]mostly TTDPatch Dev's are working for their own benefit of gameplay[/quote]
mind u this idea seeems to have support at the moment and i could tell that for serious tyconners would be usefull, mind u its at their discretion... whichc begs the question why have a public suggestions forum if u dont want to know them.
meh
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that public opinion has an effect on the Patch developers. I suspect it is weighted equally with their own opinion, and with a weighting of the difficulty of the suggested change vs. its visible results.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

glimmer:
your post makes me very disappointed.

Different track costs as an example is a only written only for the user.
And if you would look in the suggestion thread, you would know that I read mostly every post.
The most answers to the suggestion are "not possible".
Thats why you don't hear a lot of Josef on the suggestion topic.

Back to the topic,
there was already a suggestion somwhere to alter the station signs or the station directory to show more info, I already looked into the code for the station list sometime without any success. So your post makes me double disapponted
glimmer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by glimmer »

i think you might have misunderstood what i meant
i relise you developes put in A LOT of time and effort into making what is a superb patch. i was not crisizing you (which rereading my post can see what point of view you took). what i meant was i know theres not much memory left to play with and i know the suggestion is hard to do so it becomes up to the patchmackers discretion whether or not they feel it is plausible to do it, even if there is good support for it over other ideas.

i relise some features you make completely for users and thats why theres a suggestion forum as if users really like an idea you guys will try put it in ....

i am sorry if u misinterepreted the other one and i hope this clears it up without digging hte hole deeper :D

Return to “Suggestions”