Over-the-Internet play

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Over-the-Internet play

Post by krtaylor »

I saw the topic explaining how to play TTD over the Internet. Also the more recent Patch alpha is supposed to make this more stable on XP/2K which is what most of us seem to use these days.

My question: would it be possible to set up some sort of central online gaming interchange, like they have for wargame sims? Where you could go and join a game in progress, start one, etc.? That way by browsing there, it could tell what your settings were, and be able to exchange settings of two people wherever who wanted to start a game.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, I could relatively easily create an online lobby site, with a downloadable client (like the MSN Gaming Zone) that sets up the multiplayer game with TTD. But TTD's multiplayer is so unstable it wouldn't really be worth it.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

indeed ... it is not worth to do it ... but idea is great and if MultiPlayer will be somday stable then it should be mention again
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I guess I thought I'd read that the newer Patch version was more stable. Is that one of the things that is of higher priority, or is it fixable, or just hugely complicated?
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Hugely complicated and very hard to fix. You'd basically have to rewrite most of the networking code, Josef has said in the past.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The original TTD wasn't designed to work over IP at all, was it? If I recall correctly it was for IPX. How did you make it work on IP, anyway? Some sort of shell for the IPX packets? I'm not terrible surprised that it would need a rewrite of the networking code. Actually, I would have thought it would be easier just to rewrite the networking code, rather than try to update it.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Ask Joe Booth, the creator of the windows port,
I think Shadow-XIII has already written an email ....
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

yes I wrote a mail to him but no response ... if 2 week will pass without reply then I try other mail, also if anyone has got ICQ, then he can try via ICQ (number at FishUK page) ... also there are some telephon numbers (but I will only phone to England if all other ways will not be sucsseded)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
troopper5
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by troopper5 »

We'll have to wait for Josef to answer this. If it is possible i can ask from the makers of All-Seeing Eye, that would they make online servers.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

krtaylor wrote:The original TTD wasn't designed to work over IP at all, was it? If I recall correctly it was for IPX. How did you make it work on IP, anyway? Some sort of shell for the IPX packets? I'm not terrible surprised that it would need a rewrite of the networking code. Actually, I would have thought it would be easier just to rewrite the networking code, rather than try to update it.
The Windows version of TTD supports TCP/IP. It only supports TCP/IP on a LAN basis, but I could create a program which forwards the appropriate ports over the Internet to the other computer.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Sounds like that would be the way to go then. I guess it would be a program that knew where the central TTD Online Game HQ was, and relayed to it; then the central registry would relay between whoever was supposed to be playing the games, or some such.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The actual game would be a direct link from computer to computer (not going via the server). The server would just be for players to meet up, etc.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Right. The game would link to the central server, and the server would transmit the necessary addressing information back to the game so as to communicate with the other player.

Here's another question - Is it possible to have more than two players in one game? You can have, what, 6 computer players, could you have that many human players?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

No, not without some major work done on the game.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, I guess we can put it in the wish list. Personally I think the ability to have more than two human players would really make it a fun challenge, particularly if it was possible to do so across the Internet at large.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

more than 2 player is impossible
(The savegame format only knows two player too, but this would be the smallest problem)
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
103er-Fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 103er-Fan »

I played TTD over internet about two weeks ago with a friend, though both of us have DSL connections, the game was very slow and it crashed on both PCs after around 4 months ingame time (which were very long by the way, since the game was so slow).
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

So it sounds like what is really needed, in an ideal world, would be a completely rewritten networking subsystem. Well, maybe someday if we get more workable code from somewhere, who knows.

Return to “Suggestions”