Purchasing land in large plots

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

0rion
Engineer
Engineer

Purchasing land in large plots

Post by 0rion »

I often purchase land around industries I want to keep to myself, or around small airports so that later in the game I can put bigger airports there without having to worry about the computer putting a station there, or having to bulldoze towns, thus lowering my rating and not being able to demolish more/build the station.

So what Im wondering is, could you make it possible to buy land in more than 1 square at a time?

Right now, you have to click once for every square you want to buy. For the Intercontinental airport, this means clicking 87 times to make the space yours. (3x4 small airport, plus 87 additional for the 9x11 intercontinental airport.)

It'd be nice if you could buy a plot of land, similar to the way you can plant trees in large plots.

On a side note, and slightly less important, would it be possible to raise/lower land on a diagonal line? Like from left to right on the screen? Seems like more trouble than it'd be worth though. Still.....
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Purchasing land in large plots

Post by ISA »

0rion wrote:(3x4 small airport, plus 87 additional for the 9x11 intercontinental airport.)
Your talking about OpenTTD? If yes You are in wrong section!
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

But don't bother asking the question in OpenTTD's section, the answer will be the same as in here:
This is a feature request been proposed many times and always turned down.
It is too easy to abuse of the system and in MP games (multi-player), it will simply be a nightmare.
So sorry, but you have to keep on clicking :)
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
0rion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 0rion »

belugas wrote:But don't bother asking the question in OpenTTD's section, the answer will be the same as in here:
It is too easy to abuse of the system and in MP games (multi-player), it will simply be a nightmare.
Guess Ill just have to look into the source code for the game and see what is written for the trees, and see if it can be modified for the purchasing of land then.

And the openTTD site directed me here for whatever reason, I never did find the area to post it on there. Thanks for the heads up that its in the wrong section anyways.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

belugas wrote:But don't bother asking the question in OpenTTD's section, the answer will be the same as in here:

what about some limited drag'an'drop? like for example 2x2 or 3x3 tiles or something similar, even like 1x3 would be nice :)

however, one can efficiently "buy land" with the rails and then fill them with signals to prevent roads etc to pop on them :)
Member of the
ImageImage
0rion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 0rion »

DJ Nekkid wrote:

what about some limited drag'an'drop? like for example 2x2 or 3x3 tiles or something similar, even like 1x3 would be nice :)

however, one can efficiently "buy land" with the rails and then fill them with signals to prevent roads etc to pop on them :)
Thats what i was thinking, with the drag and drop.. i could probably copy code for that from another function. as for the rails with signals, that'd work if it were diagonal tracks, because roads cant be made over diagonals. it wouldnt however prevent bridges, as in openttd you can build bridges over tracks with signals no problem.

Open ttd also has a function now to build diagonal tracks in a line, the same as you could build straight tracks in the original ttd, so making diagonal tracks works fine now. That'd work for allocating airport space, but as far as saving room for additional rails on heavily used routes, it wouldnt be any better than buying the land. We'll see i guess.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Just make it limited as with trees.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Belugas has already said this has been discussed and rejected by the OpenTTD developers, we need not continue this discussion, especially since its in the wrong section!
Locked.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."

Return to “Suggestions”