Flora & Fauna

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Flora & Fauna

Post by SAC »

Can't say I've seen any animals in my forests, but I do have tree's - and I DO like to plant them in my cities. I've brought this up on an earlier occasion, I know, but as I'm fed up re-planting them all the time instead of having all those "gaps" in my towns, I figured it's worth a shot again! :P

I know that the game probably gets rid of tree's in towns so that I, as a player, can re-plant them and earn better ratings towards the town councils. However, the amount required most of the times for tree plantations to have desired effect , and the fact that a couple of services running in a town helps out almost equally, makes me wonder if it's possible to make a .grf or whatever, (an optional patch feature), to keep tree's from decaying in towns, (not anywhere else)? Meaning, if I plant tree's they'll stay there until I cut them down.

Is this possible at all? On a relevant note, am I the only one annoyed about this constant need of planting tree's in order to keep my towns beautified?
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

No, i am slightly annoyed at trees short longevity. If you set up an island, in the middle of an ocean, only 3 tiles big, so they don't spread, they are usually gone within 5-15 years, In real Life, some last longer than 150 years.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Captain Kirk wrote:No, i am slightly annoyed at trees short longevity. If you set up an island, in the middle of an ocean, only 3 tiles big, so they don't spread, they are usually gone within 5-15 years, In real Life, some last longer than 150 years.
Yeah, that too! :evil: Forgot to add that!

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

TBH, I hate trees ingame (they take away my sight). I wouldn't mind if I plant them and they died immediately. :tongue:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Purno wrote:TBH, I hate trees ingame (they take away my sight). I wouldn't mind if I plant them and they died immediately. :tongue:
:P Which is why I figured an optional feature would be good!

Ramshill
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ramshill »

You could remake a statue tile into a tree tile and put those in place instead. Of course this would mean the town could not build on these tiles and also it would cost a lot more to 'beautify' than at this moment.
I maybe old but at least I'm not dead (yet).
OK! I admit it I AM dead (from the neck up)
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

And you would also always get the same collection of trees, Ramshill.

We need newtrees patch feature, I want bushes! I want big ass trees! I want seasonal change for trees!

And I'm betting someone is going to suggest (Probably a patch developer) that I code it.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

hey Aegir, why don't you code it?
Formerly known as Lachie
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Aegir wrote:And you would also always get the same collection of trees, Ramshill.

We need newtrees patch feature, I want bushes! I want big ass trees! I want seasonal change for trees!

And I'm betting someone is going to suggest (Probably a patch developer) that I code it.
I soo totally agree! A patch feature that not only gives us new trees, but also options along with it! :P Nice suggestion Aegir - also about the bush thing! :D

Dave

Post by Dave »

Aegir wrote:And you would also always get the same collection of trees, Ramshill.

I suggest Aegir codes it.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Aegir wrote:I want seasonal change for trees!
so you've never payed attention to the way the trees change over summer and winter? :roll:
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

They die yes, but they do not loose their leaves in say October and get them back in February/March do they?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

In TTD/TTDPatch, trees do have a life cycle but no seasonal cycle.

However, by a special action05, it´s possible to have them cycling through snowy/non-snowy states depending on a varying snowline, which itself could be made depending on the season.

regards
Michael
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Would this prevent trees for dying - which is what I'm mostly looking for as I don't like viewing my towns with all those empty spots everywhere. They look so "naked" without those trees, and I'm constantly planting trees whenever a town destroys a building. :evil:

michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

>> In TTD/TTDPatch, trees do have a life cycle but no seasonal cycle. [...]

> Would this prevent trees for dying[?]

Mmh? Their life cycle? :lol:

> I don't like viewing my towns with all those empty spots everywhere.

Without having a look into the code, I´d say that after their last "state" they´re being removed and then (after a while) a new tree would be spawned on that empty spot.

Apparently, I don´t see the problem. In my games there are a lot of trees - even in cities. And taking into account that many TTD enthusiasts seem to hate trees, isn´t the current situation a good compromise then?

regards
Michael
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Actually, I'd want my trees not to go through the life cycle - if a patch feature or something could prevent that from happening.

I have trees all over the place, but while they're automatically re-planted in none-civilized areas, they are never re-planted in my cities - which is why I find myself spending lots and lots of time re-planting them myself. The only places in town where trees are allowed to stay in position are those where no buildings can't be built at all due to tile sloped in the wrong direction. But I can't fill the entire town with unbuildable slopes everywhere. Besides, a town without trees look dead to me!

Even though most players prefer to have their trees not growing in cities, I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking differently. I want my games to look as realistic as possible, and trees do add to that in my honest opinion. And that's why I suggested a patch feature that could allow a user to chose to play with trees either following a life cycle - or not! Then I assume everyone would be happy!

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

m3henry wrote:
Aegir wrote:I want seasonal change for trees!
so you've never payed attention to the way the trees change over summer and winter? :roll:
Ameecher wrote:They die yes, but they do not loose their leaves in say October and get them back in February/March do they?
Exactly my point, m3henry, so don't get all rolly eyes at me.

m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

well for some reason my tree watched for a year usually does a cycle.

a bug in the patch mabey?
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Argh! That's not what I'm talking about, m3henry. Yes, trees have a cycle, but that isn't based on callender seasons, it's just growth, normal, and then decay. When I was speaking about seasonal changes, I was talking about being able to specify when trees go through the various stages of that cycle. Ofcourse they'll have a specific lifetime, and then they'll go through the decay stages, but during summer/spring they should look normal, autumn/winter, start to brown up a bit (Depending on if it's an evergreen or not), and if the snowline creeps up on it, get snowy sprites (Which already happens, so we won't worry about that part).

Invisble
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Invisble »

Personally I hate tree's, the obscure the vision and are always in the way, though I love the idea's of bushes and scrub land, would make the game look more attractive.

As to tree's not being in towns, well unless they are in parks I don't often see wild tree's growing in towns, though I know it is more common to see them in the USA than England.

And as to the lifecycle/seasonal changes, again that would be very attractive eye candy.

I wonder if it would be possible to create parks in towns and cities? say a large park of 2x2 squares and a small of 1x1? that would give you some tree's and make the town look a little more attractive.

Return to “Suggestions”